*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2326275-Did-I-Really
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Crime/Gangster · #2326275
Appleby finds the culprit. 300 words
Did I Really?


“I know you did it.” Detective Appleby said as he came into the interrogation room and addressed the person in cuffs sitting at the table.

“You might think so, Boss; but can you prove it?”

Before we get into that, spell your full name for me.”

“Victor Slothern,” he said, then in a mocking tone, slowly spelt it.

“Mr. Slothern,, may I call you Victor?”

“Not until I am.”

“Mr. Slothern, you asked if I could prove your guilt. I know I can.”

“Such false confidence! It doesn’t become an officer of the law.”

“How about you tell me where you were and what you were doing on September 1st?

“This September 1st? I was at a party.”

“Really? Who held this party you were attending?”

“A couple I know as Story Master and Story Mistress. They have a birthday party every year for their organization during the first week of September. I like to help out with this particular event as much as I can. So, I do.”

“Can anyone prove you were there?”

“More people than you would believe.”

“Witnesses saw your crime. They are willing to testify.”

“Bring them on, I’ll refute anything that is said about my presence there. It was a wild and crazy occasion, as it is every year.

“I was also there as security. I saw you replacing the birthday candles in twenty-four cakes with sticks of dynamite!”

“Merely Roman candles,” insisted the miscreant.

“You still ruined the party and caused injury and major mayhem.

“It was a joke. To liven up the party!”

“Patrolman, take this man away to be locked up for trial,” Appleby shouted.

As he was marched out, the detective muttered low:

“I still have icing, gunpowder and disco glitter all over my best dress uniform!” {size}
© Copyright 2024 dragonwoman (draygonlayd60 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2326275-Did-I-Really