*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2326041-Picnic-Disaster
by Cian
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2326041
They should of checked the forecast.
Asher walked out into the field, stretching his arms into the sky, it was a nice day.

They had walked on their nearest trail to a nice field to have a picnic.

"Where should we set out our picnic Mia?" Asher asked Mia. "Hello Mia? Where are you?"

"Mow mew merf!" Replied Mia, happily.

"That looks like a great spot, Mia." Said Asher, running over and setting down the picnic blanket.

"Alright Mia, what first? Oh, and before you even ask, no you can not have all the cheese. It's to eat with the crackers." Asher said.

Mia gave Asher a sad pouty face, really wanting the cheese to herself.

"You can have it with the crackers Mia, OK?" Asher told Mia.

"Miwe..." Mia replied.

They took everything out of the picnic basket, cheese, crackers, M&M trail mix, a tuna sandwhich, and a PB & J.

"Here ya go Mia." Asher gave Mia her tuna fish sandwhich.

They each ate their sandwhiches, not seeing the dark clouds moving in from behind them.

"You like the tuna fish? It's the spiced version." Asher asked Mia.

"Mmmmmmm.... Mew....." Mia replied. She liked any kind of tuna fish.

Mia looked up suddenly.

"You OK, Mia?" Asher asked.

"Mew merm." Replied Mia, who had just felt a raindrop.

"Oh, we better pack up then. Just lemme finish my PB & J." Said Asher.

Asher felt another. And another. And a dozen more. Asher stuffed the rest of his sandwhich into his mouth.

"Mmf, lets get mfm moving!" Asher replied with a full mouth.

Thunder boomed in the distance, and the rain started pouring.

"We'll return for the picnic stuff tomorrow, we need to get out of here!" Said Asher starting to run for the trailhead.

"Mia? What are you doing?" Asher said, looking behind him.

Mia was rushing back to the picnic stuff.

"Mia! We need to go!" Asher said, looking at the dark storm clouds above.

Crack-Kaboom! A lightning strike hit something nearby.

Mia raced back towards Asher.

"Meow! Mew mow!" Said Mia, having rescued the rest of the cheese.

"Mia... We have cheese at home y'know." Asher said, running down the trail.

They rushed around each twist and turn of the trail, running through tall grass and bushes.

A lightning strike lit up the sky in front of them. They kept running.

After a few more minutes the trail split into two paths. They went right.

Finally, the trail emerged onto what they knew as their street.

Mia felt shiver down their spine, they emerged right by the place that she was attacked by a dog. She could almost touch the shed that everything had went wrong.

Mia picked up the pace and went straight towards their house.

"Mia, wait up!" Asher said, drenched and starting to slow down.

He sprinted, not wanting to be left behind. They reached their house, entered the lock code, and swung open the door.

"Well, that was quite the adventure! Wasn't it Mia?" Asher said, out of breath.

"Meow...." Mia replied.

"Alright, you enjoy your soggy piece of cheese, I'm going to change clothes." Asher said.
© Copyright 2024 Cian (boomboom333 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2326041-Picnic-Disaster