*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2325903-They-Them--WC-198
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2325903
Cammy has a strange new friend named Elisa.
They--Them


I'm beginning to think my new friend Elisa is a bit off. I know that seems judgy, but I call it like I see it.

You want my most recent example of off. Okay, I'll share.


The other day, out of nowhere, Elisa said, “They're watching us.”

“Who is watching us?”

“Them,” she said.

We were walking on a deserted beach, the winter wind stinging our cheeks. Not another soul was in sight.

“Them who, Elisa?” I tried in vain to see who she was referring to. “Where are they? I can’t see anybody.”

“Can't you smell them, Cammy?

I could smell Lake Michigan, but she didn't need to hear that.

“Maybe a little, but where are they?”

“Everywhere.”

We were 120 miles from home and didn't know another soul—living or dead—anywhere near us.

“If you’re worried, maybe we should head back,” I said.

“They’ll just follow us.”

“I'll drive fast.”

“You can't outrun them, Cammy!”


So there's one example. Get the picture?

She is due any moment. I wonder if they’ll follow her here. And if they do, will I have to order another pizza? Or do they even eat pizza?

Geesh!
© Copyright 2024 jackiesmuse (jackiesmuse at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2325903-They-Them--WC-198