*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2325577-Chapter-4
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Chapter · Drama · #2325577
Dark Society
Time and again, Sabrina noted the rustling of utensils emanating from the kitchen. Normally, Julia would openly express her feelings, but as the customary creak of the screen door echoed, she'd surprisingly shelter.

"Everything alright?" Sabrina interrogated.

"Yes," Julia whimpered, clutching a moist dishtowel. "Damn, allergies."

"If you say so," Sabrina refuted, moving to the door.

"Wait!" Julia shouted as emotions surged. "I don't want you to go!"

Progressively, Sabrina advanced and hugged her mother as she expressed months of resentment. Whenever feasible, Tim listened, hoping Julia's appeals wouldn't fall on deaf ears. But instead, he groaned and retreated to the yard, hoping they'd somehow find common ground.

"Do you feel better?" Sabrina whispered, snuggling.

Recoiling, Julia patted her daughter across the shoulder.

"Do I look all right to you?"

As is common, Sabrina sympathized and remained accommodating to her feelings.

"I have to go; you know that,"

Without a word, Julia twisted and slammed her hands on the counter.

"I don't mean to seem selfish, but I promised to take care of you,"

Confused, Sabrina drew close.

"In that case, what should I do?"

On that note, Julia grasped her hands and caressed Sabrina's left wrist.

"I don't know, but you're not like everyone else," she admitted. "And soon enough, the world will see that,"

Again, Sabrina snuggled.

"No matter where life takes me, I'll never forget where I come from or who I am,"

For a time, they'd stand huddled together until Tim sped through the door.

"What's this?" he joked. "I'm shoveling a bloody hole, and you two are chatting."

There and then, Sabrina and Julia giggled and followed Tim into the yard, where Sabrina suddenly stood mystified, looking upon the canister.

"Are you going to keep us in suspense?" Julia asked as Sabrina kneeled, closed her eyes, and began to mumble.

"What's she doing?" Tim whispered. "Having an episode?"

In a blink, Julia walloped his arm and regarded their daughter's sarcastic stare.

"Make me a promise," Sabrina requested, lowering the cylinder. "If anything happens to me, remember this container,"

Instantly, Julia grew horrified.

"Don't say that!"

All told, this wasn't something she'd usually beseech, though it's something she felt she had to do. And so, Sabrina stood and peered into Tim's dark green eyes.

"Promise me,"

As anticipated, his lips parted and his eyes widened. Usually, he understood Sabrina's humor, but the contented tone implied something different.

"Why ask this of us?"

Gradually, Sabrina drew close as a tear cascaded. In sum, she wasn't savvy or educated, but had now brought closure to her adolescence. Irrefutably, Sabrina had struggled to master inherited gifts, but life would be laborious, no matter what safeguards she implemented.

"If that's what you want, then I promise,"

Directly, Sabrina smiled and kissed her father on the cheek.

"Thank you,"

From there, saying the words would prove challenging, but Julia smiled and seized her daughter's hand.

"I promise,"

That said, Sabrina turned toward the hole.

"I have one last thing to finish; then I'll be along,"

Roughly an hour would pass as Tim watched by the kitchen washbasin. In the end, burying a capsule seemed awkward, but the terms and conditions she'd laid out with it terrified them.

"Why'd she ask something like that?" Tim questioned, turning to Julia.

In tandem, Julia watched over Sabrina as she compacted soil and leveled new grain. Though, unlike Tim, she understood Sabrina's reasoning.

"It's what she wants, so let's be supportive,"

In time, Tim grasped her hand and eyed.

"I'll try,"

For as long as anyone could remember, Tim had always been overprotective. (A quality the family revered). No matter how, Julia aimed to contain his escalating passions, despite lingering doubts.

"Don't worry," she insisted. "She'll be fine."

"I guess I have to let her grow up,"

Impulsively, Julia stroked his face as Sabrina shuffled into the house.

"Did I miss something?" she quizzed.

Tim glanced with a grin.

"Always asking questions, like your mother,"

In a flash, Julia turned and squinted.

"Let's get cleaned up, make some popcorn, and enjoy an evening together,"

Sabrina beamed.

"You remember how I like it, right?"

"Fresh and hot, with caramel topping," Julia recalled.

Like a shot, Sabrina headed for the bathroom as her parents watched.

"We promised, remember?" Julia explained as Tim groaned and opened a cupboard.

"I know,"
© Copyright 2024 Darkscape Entertainment (darkscapemedia at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2325577-Chapter-4