*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2325099-Tamalia-and-the-Fox
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest · #2325099
Tamalia's sleep is interrupted by a hunting fox.
Tamalia looked longingly at her Dwarfman who was again reverted to being transformed back to a toad. He was a handsome Dwarf and a nice looking overly large toad. They were settled in for the night at a wayside stream. The little fire had burned to coals. Her dinner had been vegetable stew. Being a Witchy Woman she knew all the herbs to make it quite tasty.

Podolfo, the toad, crooked twice. He jumped onto her belly and promptly fell off.

"Do you need help?" The middle aged woman asked. Before he could croak she picked him up and placed him on her belly.

The night was warm and she slept uncovered on all three blankets. If a mosquito came about her face a long sticky tongue lashed out and brought it to his mouth. She murmured thanks as she drifted off to sleep.

Posolfo's loud croaking woke her. Tamalia grabbed up her toad and shot to her feet. Something moved closer.. Throwing dry leaves on the coals and fire blazed for a few minutes. A fox with reflective eyes scampered back into the woods, leaping over the stream in one bound. A skittish fox might not be a threat to her, but a husband transformed into an overly large toad would make a good meal.

"Maybe I need the help." She said. Placing larger sticks on the coals she settled down cross-legged to wait for daylight. It would not do to have her man eaten before she could find the necessary ingredients for the restorative potion.
© Copyright 2024 Randy Ames (randyames at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2325099-Tamalia-and-the-Fox