*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2324776-Date-Night
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2324776
Flash Fiction
Date Night

“How do I look?” Gina asked her husband, Dan.

“You’ve changed.”

“What?” Gina shot back, remembering a conversation they had earlier in the day. “I have not! You’re the one who’s changed. We used to go out every week! Then when we had Nicky it got harder finding a babysitter and then when Elsa was born, just too complicated. I didn’t change, our life did!”

Dan started to say something but Gina cut him off. “We loved our dinners out. We could dress up and stay as late as we wanted. I just thought since the kids are old enough to stay home alone now we could try again.”

“I didn’t mean…” Dan started.

Gina cut in, “I really missed that time together. I thought it would help us get some of our own life back. Things have been so focused on the kids for so long… I know they need us just as much, but not as babysitters

“I…” Dan started; Gina cut in.

“I’m sorry. That was awful of me, trying to sneak back into our single days. We’ve both changed too since we’ve had a family. I was just hoping we could get some of that electricity back that brought us together in the first place… Don’t you miss it too?”

This time Dan stood looking at her for a moment. Then he spoke. “Number one, I meant you changed your outfit… Number two you look amazing. Number three, you are an amazing mother and I just hope my father-ness is close to those standards. And number four, you always look gorgeous to me, you could wear a trash bag and you’d still look gorgeous to me.”

It was a lovely night for Dan and Gina. And they kept up their “Date Night” for many, many years.
© Copyright 2024 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2324776-Date-Night