*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2324034-When-Puppets-Come-To-Life
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Joseph
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2324034
For The Writer's Cramp contest 7/23/24. Puppets become Vampire bats.
When Puppets Come to Life

“When Puppets come to life.” I heard the words as I awoke to yet another dimension of dream, my consciousness flickering like a candle in the wind. Here I was, deep in a dense, foreboding forest, the kind of place where shadows seemed to have a life of their own. I stumbled upon an old shack, half-buried in the earth, its structure barely standing under the weight of time. Compelled by an inexplicable force, I began to dig through the rubble, my hands brushing against splintered wood and rusty nails until they closed around a strange, weathered book.

The book's cover was cracked and brittle, its spine barely holding together. The barely legible title read “Enchantments.” As I flipped through the stained, faded pages, most of which were unreadable, my eyes were drawn to one page that seemed almost illuminated. The title at the top read “Make Puppets Come to Life,” followed by six lines of some kind of Latin text. Below it, another subtitle read “Put Puppets to Sleep.”

It just so happened that the circus was in town, its arrival announced by gaudy posters plastered across the city. One of the main attractions was a puppet show starring Claud and Claudia, ancient marionettes said to hail from old Transylvania. The eerie connection between the book and the puppet show gnawed at my curiosity, leaving me with no choice but to attend.
The circus grounds were a cacophony of color and noise, but as the puppet show began, an uneasy silence fell over the audience. The lights dimmed, plunging us into a disorienting blackness. Then, a faint glimmer appeared above two awkwardly moving figures. Claud and Claudia whispered to each other in voices that sent shivers down my spine.

“Thirsty, eons have I thirsted. Claud must have a drink. Oh, how I long for fresh, pure, untouched replenishment. Do I feel the presence of volunteers?” Claud’s voice echoed through the tent, his wooden hand pointing toward the entranced audience.

“Claudia is starving too. So long has it been since I have been refreshed with a thick, luxurious, worthy drink.” Claudia agreed, her movements becoming more animated as she began to jump toward the audience.

I don't know why I did it. It was as if I had no control over my actions. Yet, I heard my voice begin to recite the enchantment from the book. Thunder rumbled, and flashes of lightning struck the sky as a storm erupted out of nowhere, its fury unmatched.

The puppets began to glow, their wooden forms expanding and twisting into grotesque, lifelike shapes. With a sudden, violent snap, their strings broke, falling to the floor like discarded shackles. Before the horrified audience, Claud and Claudia transformed into enormous vampire bats, their wings slicing through the air as they took flight.

Panic surged through the crowd. In the blackness, the audience became a frenzied herd, trampling over each other in a desperate bid to escape. The bats swooped low, their fangs gleaming as they sought their prey. Screams filled the air, mingling with the thunder and the cries of the terrified.
In the chaos, the book was knocked from my hands. I fought to reach it, to find the words that might end this nightmare. The bats darted through the tent, their talons grazing my skin as I ducked and weaved through the stampede. Bloodcurdling screams filled the air as the weaker ones fell, becoming victims of the panic.

A sharp prick on my neck sent a jolt of fear through me. I swatted desperately, managing to dislodge the bat before it could sink its fangs into my flesh. With a final burst of adrenaline, I dove through an opening in the tent and emerged into the night.

Chaos reigned outside as well. Victim after victim fell to Claud and Claudia’s insatiable thirst. Claudia landed on my shoulder, her fangs gleaming red as she prepared to bite. Summoning every ounce of strength, I sprinted away, my heart pounding in my ears.

Just as her fangs brushed my skin, I was awoken into yet another dimension of dream.

© Copyright 2024 Joseph (cuzzinjoe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2324034-When-Puppets-Come-To-Life