*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2323898-Small-Leaps-and-Giant-Steps
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Nonsense · #2323898
For Earthlings and others (Winner, Cramp!)
"A small step for man
A giant leap for --- CHEESE!"

On Earth, millions of people heard these immortal words on the radio. Those who had TV by then saw and heard.

Soon, every school child was prattling: "A small step for man, a giant leap for CHEESE!"

Dr. Dolittle had been proved right, and the earth was rejoicing. The moon was made of Cheddar Cheese! And mighty good quality cheese it was, too. So light and weightless, almost as if it was made in less gravity (which it was).

Neil Armstrong, a forward thinking man, had anticipated this. He had taken tins along and he got his team to fill a hundred tins of MOON CHEDDAR to bring back to earth.

There were people queuing up for it as soon as the team lifted off from the moon for the return to earth. It was sold out in micro seconds, and all the department store chains sponsored another moon landing to get more cheese and brand it exclusively for them. All the chains got exclusive contracts, which were promptly rendered null and void, but Neil Armstrong was halfway back to the moon by then and couldn't be stopped.

However, when he got there ---

there was no cheese.

The Martians had done a moon landing meantime and had been quicker to recognise the commercial potential of the thing and cart it away to Mars.

Armstrong returned emty tinned.

However, the Earth isn't too far behind in seeing commercial potential in things.

The book WHO MOVED MY CHEESE became a best seller.
© Copyright 2024 THANKFUL SONALI HAPPY WDC 24 (mesonali at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2323898-Small-Leaps-and-Giant-Steps