*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2323167-Chapter-1
Rated: GC · Fiction · Experience · #2323167
Rosalie introduces the reader to her regular routine.
(Notes: Rosalie: Main Character; Alma: House Mate; Erma: Deceased Sister)

A young woman with neat braids closes her eyes as she rubs her thumb against a river peddle.

"3, 2, 1.."

She counts down before making a wish and tossing the pebble as far across the river as possible. The pebble skips for a few meters before sinking into the river. She stares into the distance for a moment before picking herself up from the ground and dusting off her shorts.

A few stragglers make their way to the river from a distance, causing the woman to flee. She walks with intention, doing her best to avoid the strangers. Luckily she is quick, and makes her way back to civilization in a timely fashion. She traces the sidewalk looking for her next adventure as a sea full of hasty vehicles pass by her sequentially.

"1, 2, 3.."

She whispers as she continues to make her way up the road. The sun glares on to her skin, causing sweat beads to form gradually. A corner store can be seen from a distance. The young woman takes a detour, hoping to cool herself down with a cold drink.

Within the store, the clerk can be heard speaking to back of the house staff rather boisterously.

"Did you guys see Selena? She looks single man!"

The men laugh while patting each other on the back with vigor.

"I'm telling you man, women and booty shorts is all the mating call you'll ever need."

The woman sneaks by the men, being careful not to draw too much attention to herself. But her height betrays her wish for reserve. The men immediately take notice as they size the woman up in silence. As the woman reaches into the freezer, the men begin to whisper to one another.

"Damn, she's pretty up there man. How tall you thing she is? 6'3?"

"Nah man! Can't you see. She's probably like 6'2. She reminds me of my cousin. She was a big girl to most people. But tall people run in my family! You gotta be like 6'5 before you stand out to me man."

The clerk concludes the conversation before running back to the register to prepare for the woman's checkout. Aware of what was spoken, the woman walks by slightly embarrassed. Her eyebrows furrow. She does her best to hide her anxiety before a stern look. The clerk is unconcerned with the woman's facade.

"Anything else for you?"

"No, that's it."

She whispers.

"Alrighty, it's gonna be $5.29."

The woman pulls out a $10 bill and places it directly in the clerk's hand. The clerk quickly makes up the change and bids the woman farewell. She stands in the parking lot and gulps on the bottle, standing under the roof of the store to evade the sun a bit more. Once the sweat beads clear, the woman places her headphones back in and continues her walk.

Along the way, she comes across a black cat. The cat can be heard screeching before running off into an ally.

"Aww.."

The woman utters before continuing down the pathway. But as she continues to walk, she suddenly hears a loud bang from the alleyway. The woman pauses, uncertain of what to do next. Slightly afraid, she continues to walk, when she hears a loud screeching noise. After a moment of speculation, she gives into her intrusive thoughts and decides to check out the surrounding area. As she makes her way back into the alley, she can vaguely hear a conversation occurring.

"Is this the kind of scene you were hoping for?"

"Yes Sir."

The woman continues to make her way around to the back when she notices a woman standing next to a man. The woman is blind folded. Her hands tide behind her back.

"What about the scene is---"

The woman stops in her tracks, alarmed by what's taking place. She locks eyes with the man before looking over to the woman with concern.

"Leave her alone!" She scolds, waving her water bottle as a form of intimidation. The man's eyes widen before releasing a half-hearted smirk."

"Who's that Sir?"

The man pats the blind folded woman on the back for reassurance before walking around to reassure the bystander.

"Please rest assure, everything is fine here. It's simply a misunderstanding."

"A misunderstanding? Tell me what's not to understand about a girl alone with a man in an alleyway with her eyes blindfolded and---"

The man raises his finger up to his lips as to indicate a need for silence. To her surprise, the woman grows silent. The man closes his meditatively, placing both hands in his pocket.

The blindfolded woman lets out a slight giggle while maintaining perfect posture.

"3, 2, 1..."

The man counts down. The woman's eyes widen with curiosity, as this is a method she is quite familiar with. Before the man could speak any further, the woman lets out an exaggerated sigh. The man arches his eyebrows with curiosity.

"So I'm guessing you're already familiar with the procedure?"

The woman, still a bit defensive, nods her head before glaring back at the rope tied girl.

"Well--"

She pauses. Studying the girl a bit longer.

"She seems to be willing. To do whatever on earth this is. I--I'll be on my way then."

The woman utters before turning around and parting ways. The man smirks before returning to his original position beside the blindfolded girl.

As she continues her walk, she decides to look up images of blindfolded people. She then googles "what would make a person willingly subject themselves to bondage." A Quora post is first to appear in the search engine. The woman clicks on it right away.

The Post Reads: "Psychological Benefits of Surrendering Control."

The woman begins to scroll through the comments. To her surprise, many comments manage to come from women who offer their experience with submission. The woman stops at a comment that reads: "After my divorce, I was in shambles. I had lost everything. My family, my home, even my sense of identity. I had no self esteem left to continue. Not too long after that, I met a man who became my current partner. He taught me how to transmute pain. How to turn it into something that can lead to empowerment rather than blatant suffering. Before meeting him, I was a control freak. I was a scared little girl who felt like if I didn't have a grasp on every little thing, my world would fall apart. After meeting my now partner, I realize that was nothing but an illusion."

The woman closes out the page and looks over her shoulder, as if she were stealing from a cookie jar. After realizing no one was around, she lets out an embarrassed chuckle. She continues her walk and makes her way back home. In the kitchen, a woman frantically prepares a meal while chatting on the phone. The woman sneaks by and makes her way into a hidden room, which likened more to a closet. She closes the door behind her carefully before letting out a sigh of relief. She then flicks on the light before pulling a journal tucked beneath the sitting bench.

As she sits and folds her leg, the woman begins to write meditatively. A few hours go by before the woman puts away her journal and returns to reality. She walks into the foyer where a bunch of woman sit and chat with one another.

"Rosalie! There you are! We thought you ran away or something!" A young woman exclaims. The woman approaches the girls awkwardly before sitting beside them and attempting to blend in to the best of her ability,

A woman with a soft gaze looks over to Rosalie before patting her shoulders gently. Another woman stands in the center of the room, dancing frantically and story telling. The woman are invested in the performance, crowding around the room one after another. The woman conducting the performance comes alive with all the support, increasing the quality of her performance to a noticeable degree. Rosalie smirks, enjoying herself just as much as the other girls. The performance continues throughout the night, with various women rotating in and out of center stage, making the evening collaborative and engaging.

As several women make their way on and off stage, the crowd roars for more. Unfortunately, there are no more any willing participants. A bold woman hops into center stage doing her best to inspire more courage from the audience.

"Come on ladies, this is the time to be as vain as you want, outside the mirror that is! You can do anything you want! Dance, Tell a Joke, Recite a Poem!"

The woman giggle and tease one another before the new found hosts sets her eyes in Rosalie's direction. Rosalie does her best to avoid eye contact, but it's too late.

"Hey Rosie! Didn't you say you were working on a new poem?"

The room cheers as the girls begin to cheer Rosalie to read her work. Her face grows flushed, but she remains silent, too embarrassed to respond.

"Come on Rosie baby! There's a spot for everyone on this stage girl!"

Afraid of upsetting the harmony of the crowd, Rosalie works her way to the center of the floor. The women cheer and tease each other as they look towards Rosalie with anticipation. Rosalie appears visibly nervous, nearly faint even. The cheering continuous for a bit before gradually fading out. Once the room grows silent, Rosalie clears her throat and wipes sweat from her forhead.

"You know I kind of hate you guys. Right?"

The women giggle and tease a bit more. Shouting atrocities sporadically.

Rosalie closes her eyes anxiously and lets out a faint gulp before clearing her throat and grabbing the microphone with intention. She leans in very closely. There's an unusual intensity to her.

"I don't remember the whole thing by heart yet. But i'll do my best."

She preludes. Before beginning, she pauses momentarily to collect herself.

"The lake has replaced you as my new home.

It now catches my tears

Reasons with my fears

Everything I once entrusted you with.

Though feminine in essence, the river takes on the role of my new Yang.

Keeping me from black and white thinking.

Keeping me alive a bit longer.

Making me stronger

While I wander into sonder."

Rosalie suddenly stops speaking. Widening her eyes to study the women in the audience.

"I um, I forget the rest."

She giggles as she shrugs and makes her way back into the crowd. The woman cheer as they pat her on the back while she passes through. Rosalie sits with a renewed sense of self esteem as she waits for the next volunteer. The bold woman takes center stage once more to look for her next victim, when a woman in a dim lit corner sticks her hand up abruptly.

"Uh, yes! You in the back! Come forward or forever hold your peace!" The host exclaims. The room grows quiet as the women turn their attention on to the mysterious woman working her way from the back of the room. The woman is beautiful, though she carries an intensity to her. Her dark features and almond eyes give her a taboo form of sex appeal that creates appreciation and intimidation simultaneously.

"Thank you."

The woman tells the host while grabbing the microphone.

"Hey ladies." The woman introduces.

"Hey girl!" The crowd responds.

"I um, I just had to offer a little something after hearing Rosalie's beautiful piece. I've been working on it for a while now."

The woman's voice is beautiful and smooth like velvet. It immediately brings the audience into a state of calm. The room grows quiet, indicating a willingness to listen. The woman recognizes the cue and acts upon it.

"This one is called Fantasia."

She pauses to clear her throat. Rosalie's eyes fixate on the woman as she sets the stage. There is a hint of admiration that begins to emerge.

"You told me that one cannot be color blind in this world.

Well. perhaps.

But world are we talking about?

You world,

where everything seems to originate from black and white?

Or my world,

where colors can expand to fantasia and beyond?

You see,

I'm an artist

So color theory is part of my palette.

But worry not,

for I see color in more than you'd imagine.

Beyond the flesh,

I see color emanating from your breath

There is color in your intentions

Colored by your affections.

Color me too."

The woman pauses and closes her eyes before letting out a sigh of relief, indicating the completion of her piece. The women immediately roar and cheer! The woman remains modest. Smiling and shrugging as to relay gratitude. She works her way towards the middle of the crowd this time. Finding a seat closer to Rosalie.

As she sits down, Rosalie stares at the woman. Her admiration soon turns to jealousy. The woman looks around, giving thanks to the many new found admirers. Rosalie studies the woman a bit more before standing up and removing herself abruptly. She works her way through a crowd too stimulated to notice her departure.

Upon escaping the environment, she is met by a straggler who just so happened to notice her timely exit.

"Don't tell me you're feeling jealous now Rosie?"

A think, spunky woman with an open can of Root Beer scolds as she walks towards Rosalie in a curious fashion.

"Why are you bare foot Alma?" Rosalie questions in rebuttal. The tiny woman smirks before letting out a half-hearted grin.

"Ah, come on Rosie! Don't take it that way." The woman reassures. Rosalie rolls her eyes, embarrassed that her feelings are so easy to read. She grows silent, in attempt to create a wall between her and Alma. Alma notices Rosalie's defensiveness and does her best to provide some comfort.

"Did you go to the grave sit today?" Alma now speaks a bit gentler. Aware that she is opening a can of worms. Rosalie grows tense before furrowing her eyebrows in defeat.

"I--I don't know if I want to go there Alma."

"Well maybe you should? Atleast with someone you trust? I don't want to see you become a ticking time bomb Rosie. Alma leans in so to make sincere eye contact with Rosalie before patting her on the back and leaving her to enjoy her solitude. Rosalie sighs, turning to watch Alma as she works her way back into the crowd. She studies the crowd once more before working her way to the front door. Near the shoe rack, she grabs her jogging shoes and works her way outside.

On the porch sits a slightly drunken woman who sways back and forth humming a tune.

"I've been locked inside your heart shaped box, for weeks." She recites. Rosalie does her best not to interrupt the woman, tiptoeing around her. She makes her way on to the side walk stealthily. The moon, now up, keeps her company as she slides her headphones back in, She passes by a few decorative homes along the way. She gazes from the outskirts as she continues to wander aimlessly. Eventually, she finds her way to the local cemetery. The space is dimly lit and deserted. Rosalie works her way onto the foot path as she climbs a few rows up before finding her designated area.

She pauses before a grave that reads "Beloved Daughter, Erma, 1990-2014."She kneels before the grave and begins to engage in reflective prayer. The wind begins to pick up, as Rosalie's braids blow through the air. The trees begin to ruffle as a few common gackles come to accompany Rosalie. She looks up to acknowledge the birds. This time, her glance sadder than before. The birds sit around her, offering a sincere presence. Rosalie looks down at the grave once again when a stranger can be seen making their way across the cemetery, to another grave site.

Alarmed, Rosalie gazes in the strangers direction. To her surprise, the stranger takes on a similar direction. Kneeling at the grave site before doing a head bow and touching the ground. Rosalie's eyes widen as she studies the man. She looks at the grave once more before picking herself from the ground and dusting off.

She works her way towards the direction of the stranger but gets cold feet half way. She pauses for a moment as she continues to study the stranger, who repeats a bowing motion over the grave again and again. After a few moments of observing, she finds her way out of the cemetery and works her way back home before bed.

© Copyright 2024 BoopCutie (boopcutie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2323167-Chapter-1