*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2323093-A-conversation-with-the-inevitable
by Gravel
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2323093
Daily Flash Fiction Entry for 7/6/2024. The prompt: "Did you bring it?".
“Did you bring it?”

“Yes,” a distant solus voice answered.

“You do not approve?”

“It is not for me to pass judgement,” the voice replied. “If you are inquiring, the gift will be lost upon them.”

“They have potential.”

“Many have potential. I question whether it is hubris or ineptitude bestowing such a gift upon them?”

“Mind your place. I …”

“No,” the voice stated louder. “Mind yours. I am not one of your conjured that prostrates to your desires. I walked before you.”

“You presume to question my ordained path?”

“Do not forget my impetus. Unlike you, who delights in passing judgement. I do not. All are equal when they come before me. I am the steward of the omega. All yield to me, in time.“

“I am eternal.”

“Hubris. You neglect your creation and purpose. All things have an end. Even us.”

“I will have no end.”

“Yes, even you,” stated the retreating solus voice. “I will be there at the end. Not in judgement, but as a companion. A companion for all that take their last steps.”

“No.”

“I leave you to your endeavors. You should be grateful though. All will have my companionship in the end, even you. As for my last steps, they will be alone. As they should.”

Word Count: 213.



© Copyright 2024 Gravel (wgilbert at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2323093-A-conversation-with-the-inevitable