*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2323042-Grammas-Place
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2323042
Flash Fiction
Gramma’s Place

“I never liked them, really…”

“What?!” Jane said to her twin, John, in a shocked voice, “How could you not like brownies!?”

“Apparently, I never liked brownies. Gramma’s were just my first. I didn’t ‘dis’ like them, I just didn’t like, like them, not like you do. After that I only ate them when I had to, you know, to be polite. Anyway, every time I had to eat one, I kind of compared it to Gramma’s. Gramma’s always won.

“Huh… so what do you think was different about Gramma’s?”

“I don’t know. I just liked hers better even though I didn’t really like brownies all that much.”

“Well, we can’t ask her. I wonder if Mom kept her recipes when Gramma passed? I bet she did. Let’s go ask her.”

Mom said there were boxes in the attic and she thought one was books. Mom had never been particularly interested in cooking. Dad did all the serious cooking, even though Gramma was Mom’s mother.

In the attic they found boxes and boxes of stuff they’d never seen. They had been very young when Gramma passed, and Mom just wanted to keep things of hers the kids might eventually care about. Finally, after an hour of finding wonderful things that they never knew were there, they found a box of books. There were several cook books, but then they found Gramma’s own recipe book. The brownie recipe was there, as well as many other delights, all twinged by Gramma as she made them her own.

John still didn’t like brownies, but he did like to cook. There were many recipes he was suddenly anxious to try. Jane was the taster, and Jane was very business minded. They opened their own bakery together a year later.

They called it Gramma’s Place.
© Copyright 2024 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2323042-Grammas-Place