*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2322917-The-Meaning-of-Family
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Crime/Gangster · #2322917
Flash Fiction, an old gangster is being convinced to leave his crime family.
Sat in the darkest corner of a cafe, Eddie would spend his days watching Little Italy walk on by. An old man passed his prime, Eddie’s face told a story of criminal life, and that there was always another tale left to tell.

One spring day, a man dressed in a black trench coat entered through the door and made a beeline to sit with Eddie at his table.

“Louis, I thought you were laying low these days?”

“Oh come on, Eddie, and here’s me thinking you retired already.”

“The Deluca brothers always have a use for an old gangster like me.”

“Let’s take a guess, another hit, right?”

“You can never retire from this game...”

“Don’t you just get sick of it? All these years running with the Deluca’s, what’s it got you, nothing.”

“Got my newspaper here, fresh cup of coffee that don’t cost me a dime and Frank on the jukebox. I even have my piece, loaded on the table, no cop on the beat dares say a thing. I’ve got respect!”

“No Eddie, it’s theirs.”

“Stop talking this nonsense ok? It ain’t healthy.”

“Eddie, wake up and smell the damn coffee! Delucas are going down, the Feds are shutting up shop every which way.”

“And how do you know that, huh?”

“Eddie, you’re my friend. Actually no, family. I got my teeth cut running with the boys, all down to you. This world you brought me into, well it’s time I saved you from it.”

“….”

“I cut us a deal, Eddie. We’re free men after the fallout, untouchable if we talk.”

“I think it’s time I showed you the meaning of family!”

Eddie slowly gripped the gun and gently tilted the barrel up towards Louis.

“Like I said Louis, you can never retire from this game.”

© Copyright 2024 Dreamward Bound (dajb1989 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2322917-The-Meaning-of-Family