*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2322813-Bloodlines
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Relationship · #2322813
Twisted Tales - Moving to a new State brings a new house, school, friends, and surprises.
Bloodlines


         
          The wind blew cold from the north, moving the brown fallen autumn leaves across the road in no particular order. The sun, still hidden by grey clouds, hasn't been seen for nine days. In the distance, a solitary crow's loud, harsh, raspy caw goes unanswered.


         "' Welcome to Almse. Founded 1693.'" Sam read to his daughter, Andi, as they passed the town's welcome sign.



         "Again, why are we moving here? This town already sounds boring, dull, and lame."


         "Andi, you know why. The only way I could get the promotion was to take this job. They advised me it is temporary, maybe a year or so, and we can leave. I had to leave everything behind, too."


         "But your old Dad, you gave up what? Bowling? Bingo? Your weekly meetings at your lodge? I gave up friends, my school, and . ." Unable to continue, Andi turned toward the window and stopped talking.


         "I am sorry you left Tina behind. I know you loved her. I'm sorry. You can still call her and . "


         "It's not the same. Next year, we were going to college and planning to live together. Now, now, I don't know."


         Rain began to fall again as they drove slowly into town. The only sound was the wiper blades squeaking over the front windshield.


         As they drove closer to the middle of town, a distinct, unpleasant odor lingered from no apparent source.


         "I have never smelled something so pungent. There is no escaping the smell, and it is everywhere. It is awful smelling."


         "Keep your window up, Andi. Hopefully, the stink will go away as we get closer to where we are supposed to live. I have only seen the house virtually. I have the directions and address. The movers will be here later today so we can get moved in and settled within a few days."


         As they drove through the town center, a large courthouse sat prominently in the center square, surrounded by well-trimmed blackthorn, oak, and birch trees with green bows decorating each tree trunk.


         "That's festive. There might be a town celebration. After we get moved in, how about we participate in the celebrations and submerse ourselves in whatever the townspeople celebrate? We might even make a friend or two."


         "Dad, since when do you want to make new friends? You have known the same people for as long as I can remember. Your only friends seemed to all belong to the lodge. Don't say you had friends at work. I know you didn't."


         "Well, you have to make new friends, so it is only fair that I do too. I wonder if the lodge has an affiliate here. That would be sweet."


         "Since when do you say 'sweet' about anything? You sound ridiculous."


         "I can be in high snuff as the next person. You need to give me a chance."


         "Please promise me you won't use any of those odd sayings if I have any people around. I have no clue how you make up so many of those sayings."


         "That is not made up. It means being in a good mood. I promise I will watch what I say whenever you have someone new around."


         Driving in silence to the north edge of town, Andi spotted the road where they needed to turn.


         "There it is. Burroughs Street. These are nice houses; which one is ours?"


         "The address is 1957 Burroughs Street. I think it is the one on the corner." Slowing the car down to see the numbers on the porch more clearly, "Yes, that's it. The Bassets are home."


         "You sure that's it, Dad? It is twice as big as our old house. And look at the yard. It will take you hours to mow and trim all that."


         "Well, we'll hire a lawn service to do all that and get someone else to do our driveway in the winter unless you want to volunteer to shovel the driveway and sidewalk with me."


         "No, thank you. Hiring people sounds great to me. When is the rest of our stuff going to be here?"


         "Sometime around 2:00 this afternoon. You want to go in and look around or get something to eat first?"


         "Let's go in. Does my bedroom have a bathroom?"


         "If you pick the upstairs bedroom on the southside, it does."


         "How many bedrooms are upstairs?"


         "There are four. I am making one room into a study and another into a library. The spare room will be a guest bedroom. Never know when a third bedroom might come in handy."


         "Oh, like we will get people spending a night. The last time I checked, all of our relatives were either not talking to us or dead."


         "Never know. You might be surprised."


         "Yeah, right."


         "Be that as it may, let's go in and look." Parking the car on the street to leave the driveway open for the moving van, Andi and her father enter the house to get acquainted with their new home.


         "The layout of the rooms is more open than I imagined. I can't believe the kitchen has an actual fireplace. Is it a real one or fake?" Andi asked her Dad.


         "I imagine at one time it was used to cook the meals. The fireplace is just for show now. I've seen people place plants or other decorations in the fireplace to accent the kitchen."


         Andi pointed out a polished brass star hanging in the fireplace. "Why is that hanging in there? I mean, I don't mind it. It looks all right in there like it belongs."


         "Oh, I am sure it has a reason to be there. I like it. I think we'll leave it there for now."


         "We should buy an electric fire and log insert, place it in the fireplace, and roast plastic marshmallows."


         "I'll take that under advisement. Until then, the star stays. I think the moving truck is here. Let's go direct where everything needs to go."


         Within a week, Sam had started his job as a Senior Software Developer at Alsme Technical, and Andi was a senior at Bishop Junior and Senior High School. Despite Andi's doubts about making friends, she discovered some students were eager to meet her and become acquainted.


          "You're Andi, right? My name is Sue. We are in the second hour of Trigonometry together. I sit in the third row behind you."


          "Yeah, I've seen you in class. Sorry I haven't introduced myself. I am still trying to get myself used to the schedule, where everything is, and the teachers' names."


          "I understand, no worries. These are my friends: Becky, Sara, Anna, and Beth. We have the same lunch period as you. Would you like to join us if you are okay with it?"


          "Thank you, that would be great. It has been awkward sitting by myself this past week."


          "Anna is in your Senior Writing Lab and will walk with you to the cafeteria where we usually sit. We'll fill you in with all the gossip, the latest news about the town, and other important items. We also meet after school for study sessions. You are, of course, invited to attend."


          "This sounds fantastic. I need to let my Dad know about this. I am sure he'll be fine. He wanted me to make friends and all."


          "What about your mom?" Becky asked.


          "She died when I was born. I never knew her. My Dad raised me."


          Sue looked apologetic toward Andi, "You have to forgive Becky; she never thinks before she talks." Giving Becky a glance with a scowl and a non-verbal message.


          "What? What did I say? I didn't bring up anything." Becky whines.


          Anna changes the subject, "Where does your dad work, Andi?"


          "He works at Alsme Technical as a Senior Software Designer. From what he has told me, he loves it."


          "Really? Sue's mom, Dad, and brothers work there, too."


          "Dad is in accounting, Mom works in legal, and Todd and Warren are in the warehouse. They tell me the warehouse gets hot in the summer."


          "I bet. So, where do we meet for the study sessions?" asked Andi.


          "We alternate homes. We'll let you talk with your Dad first before we meet there. By the way, where do you live?" Sue questioned.


          "It's on the corner of Burroughs and Putnam Street. It's a big house; can't miss it."


          "I think that's the old Wildes' house. It's been empty for a while, I think. I have never been in it, but I heard it is nice."


          "The owner used to be the Minister of the New Alsme Church for five years before he left. He was friendly. Everyone was sad to see him leave." Sara said.


          "Maybe sad to see him leave, but not Tricia."


          "Becky. Don't you have to get to your next class before you are late? You have the furthest way to go, and your locker is on the other side of the school. It would be best if you go now. Right now."


         After a quizzical look, Becky slowly turns and leaves. After she is gone, Sue faces Andi, "Becky is forgetful and loves idle gossip. She tends to backstab people, so be careful. Other than that, her parents have a curio store downtown where we all shop and give us discounts."


         "A curio store. I want to visit that sometime."


         "The second bell will ring soon, and we all better get going. Anna will walk with you to the cafeteria. I know we all look forward to learning more about you then. See you then, Andi."


          Later, as Andi and her Dad made supper, he asked, "How did the lunch go? Did you have a good conversation with your new friends?" Andi's Dad asked.


         "Oh, yes. It was great. It seemed like I talked the entire time. They asked about growing up, my old school, and past friends. I talked about Tina, and they seemed to understand, which was a relief. They had questions about you, too."


         "Me? What about me?"


         "Oh, just boring stuff. Where were you from initially, where did you go to school, and what was your job? Boring stuff. They already knew I didn't know anything about Mom."


         "Where did you tell them we were from originally?"


         "Iowa. Wasn't I supposed to tell them that? I don't remember you saying anything about not discussing where we moved from or why we moved. Is it a secret you got a better job here?"


         "No, it's not. I get paranoid when people become curious about us. Of course, you can answer questions your new friends ask. I want you to tell me if they want you to do anything that makes you uncomfortable. Before you say anything, I know you have never been the type to bend to peer pressure or mindlessly follow the group. In that way, you are a lot like me."


         "Oh, great. Way to make me feel inadequate, self-conscious, and question every decision I have ever made."


         "Yes. Yes, that describes you completely. Where would you be without me reminding you of your weakest qualities?" Andi's Dad said with a smirk.


         "Before I forget, can I have my friends come over next Saturday to study? They take turns going to each other's homes, and I volunteered."


         "Next Saturday is fine. I will be gone most of the day, and you won't be able to reach me. If it is an emergency, call 911, then call me and leave a voicemail. As soon as I am able, I will call you back. Do this only in an emergency."


         "Don't worry about me. Everything will be fine. I promise. How about I bring my friends over before Saturday so you can meet them? Will that help calm you down?"


         "I would like to meet them. I want to see the people you are hanging out with. How about this Friday after school? You can invite them over for pizza."


         "I am unsure if I should be excited you want to meet my friends or worried you want to meet my friends. You are up to something, and I don't know what."


         "I just want to meet and get to know them better. I have always trusted your intuition when it comes to making friends."


         The week flew by, and by 5:00 p.m. Friday, Sue, Becky, Sara, Beth, and Anna received the grand tour of Andi's home.


         "And finally, obviously, this is the kitchen. Dad and I take turns cooking and cleaning up."


         "I love the fireplace decoration. Andi. Do you hang it up, or was it there when you moved in?"


         "Where is the Pentica?"



         Andi turned and answered Beth's question, "Where's what?"


         "Shush, Beth. Don't stick your nose where it doesn't belong." Scolded Anna.


         Sue, trying to redirect Andi away from Beth, "Ignore her, Andi. Beth comes up with some wild questions now and then. As I asked, did you place the star in the fireplace, or was it here when you moved in?"


         "Oh, yes, the brass star. It was here when we moved in. My Dad said there is a reason it is there. Besides, we both like it. It feels like it belongs here."


         There was silence after Andi finished talking. She didn't know if something she said offended them or if they expected her to say something else.


         "So where are we going to order the pizza from? I ate a light lunch, knowing we were having pizza tonight." Sara asked.


         "Great idea, Sara. I'm hungry, too. I like Zeno's Pizza." Becky stated.


         "Let's try the new restaurant, The Crunodal. It should serve any food you want, including pizza." Offered Anna.


         "I thought it was good. Dad and I went there on our first day here. It was delicious. I had pineapple fried rice, and Dad had Wheatberry-kale salad with vegan chorizo."


         "So, you are Vegans, or was that a one-time thing?" Sue casually questioned.


         "We are both vegans. I was worried when I found out we were moving here because I didn't know if you had any places that served a vegan menu. Do you have any other vegan restaurants?"


         "Almost all of the town's restaurants are vegan or have a special vegan menu. If you liked The Crunodal, I vote we should go there." Voiced Sara.


         "It sounds like a good place to me, too." Added Anna, "What about you, Beth? Does The Crunodel sound like a good place?"


         "Of course, it sounds like a good place. I always eat vegan. I have for as long as I can remember." Beth answered.


         "I have never been there yet, but it sounds fantastic. It appears to be unanimous. Andi, do they deliver, or do we need to pick it up?"


         "They deliver. I have a menu upstairs. I'll run and get it."


         As soon as Andi was gone, Sue turned toward Beth, "You need to watch yourself with those questions, you hear me? We have no idea yet and don't need a possible situation to escalate until we know for certain. Understand, Beth?"


         Beth whined, "What did I do this time?"


         You're asking too many questions again. Remember what happened to Ginna? That was partially your fault."


         "You can't blame that on me," Beth argued.


         "We can, and we do." Accused Anna.


         "Shush, here she comes." Andi comes around the corner with several copies of the menu and hands one to each of her friends. "I made copies for everyone."


         After a lengthy discussion of which pizza to order, they ordered three: Vegan White pizza, Vegan Taco pizza, and Vegan Margherita pizza. Andi stated that because they were her guests, she was paying.


         "Hello, The Crunodal. May I take your order?"


         "Yes, please. My name is Andi Basset. I live at 1957 Burroughs Street. I want to order three vegan pizzas. I'm sorry, what was your question? Yes, I am related to Sam Basset; he is my Dad. Yes, I knew he joined a club that meets twice a week. He never really talks about it much. Sure, I can tell him I spoke with you. Edward Bradbury, I got it. Oh, my order. As I stated, there are three vegan pizzas: Vegan White pizza, Vegan Taco pizza, and Vegan Margherita pizza. No, we don't need drinks. Thank you. How much will this be, plus a tip? Really? You're kidding me. All free? I need to pay something. Are you sure? Thank you very much. I will most certainly tell my Dad I talked with you. Thank you again. Have a nice night. Good-bye."


         Turning toward her friends, "I spoke with the owner, Richard, and he stated all the pizzas were free. He mentioned that knowing my Dad and what he has already contributed to their meetings was the least Ricchard could do. What a friendly guy. They'll be here in forty-five minutes."


         There is another brief pause before Sue states, "Wow, your Dad must have done something pretty awesome to impress the owner like that. Do you know what he did, Andi?"


         "No idea. Dad doesn't talk about his meetings much. I guess, come to think about it, he doesn't talk about work that much either."


         "My mom doesn't talk about her job either. Maybe they think it would be too boring to listen to.." Anna suggested.


         "What about you, Beth? Do your parents tell you about their jobs and what goes on?" Andi asked.


         "My parents work for the Almse court system. Their work is confidential. They are part of the . "


         "I am sure Andi wouldn't be interested in the tedious work of the courthouse. Besides, doesn't your mother give you your medication before you eat at night? You better take it now before the pizzas arrive."


         "Is it 6:30 already? I do need to take my Comfrey with herbal tea. Andi, do you have a teapot I can use? I have all the required herbs and need the boiling water."


         "Of course, Beth. Follow me, and I'll show you where everything is."


         After they left the room, Sara looked sharply at Sue, "I told you it was a bad idea to invite her. She has no idea how to keep her mouth shut. She has almost said it twice now, not to mention bringing up the Pentical."


         "Andi had no idea what a Pentical is, so it's no big deal. Go out to the kitchen and make sure nothing else is said."


         "We're about done here, Sara. Beth Andiwed the tea and finished drinking it as we spoke. If it wasn't a medicine, I think I wouldn't mind having a cup. The smell had a tranquil aroma to it: very relaxing."


         As Beth left the kitchen, Andi cleaned up the small mess and talked with Sara. "Not to be nosy, but is Beth all right?"


         "Why do you ask? Did she say something to you?"          


         "Oh, no. Now and again, Beth says something, and I notice everyone becomes tense. Is she saying something I shouldn't hear?"


         "Beth is special. She sees the world differently than many people do. For the most part, she understands what we are talking about and joins in the conversation. However, as you have noticed, she can become distracted and ask and say things that are, well, something not quite normal."


         "Does the herbal tea help her? How often does she take it?"


         "She is supposed to take it every six to eight hours. It helps if she is not stressed, nervous, or depressed. She is a great friend and adds much to our group; you must give her time to get used to you. Let's go join the others."


         "I was about to send the search squad out to see if you two got lost," Joked Sue."


         "We were just chatting about this and that, weren't we, Andi?"


         "It's my fault. I started gabbing and kept Sara out there. The pizza should be here soon. In the meantime, how about you fill me in on the cute cheerleaders?"


         After sipping her tea, Becky asked Andi, "What was your mom's name?"


         Looking quizzically at Sara, she said, "Her name was Avery."



         It was after 1:00 a.m. when Andi's Dad got home. He discovered Andi sleeping on the recliner with a school chemistry textbook on her lap. Sam decided to let her sleep and not wake her up. As he turned to go, he heard the yawn of his daughter.


         "Sorry, I woke you up. I was going to let you sleep there for the night. Were you waiting up for me?"


         "It's okay. I wasn't all the way asleep. No, I am studying for an Advanced Chemistry test on Monday. My old school must have taught me more than I thought they did, or I am catching on to this stuff easily."


         "Aren't you also taking College Freshman Physics?"


         "Yeah, and that's the thing. I am taking those two classes and understanding everything. I spaced off a quiz and didn't do any studying but answered all the questions right."


         "That's great for you. How is that a problem?"


         "Well, it's not. I don't understand how I became so smart."


         "You got on the Honor Roll in your old school, right? You have just begun to tap into what I have always known to be inside."


         "A computer?"


         "No. A very unique, talented, and gifted young woman."


         "Thanks, Dad. You have always been here for me. I have a question I just remembered and don't know the answer."


         "Ask away, and I will answer the question or make something up that sounds believable."


         "What is a Pentica?"


         "Hey Andi, have you heard when the Annual Autumn gathering?"


         "Is that like a pep rally for the football team?"


         "Oh, no, it's more than that. People from the town, businesses, and school all participate in this celebration." Explained Sara.


         "Really? Where is it held? I wonder if my Dad knows about it. Will the others be there, too?"


         "It is held in the town square in and around the courthouse. All of us will be there, of course. I believe all the major clubs and groups will be participating, too, so I imagine your Dad's club will be there." Sue responded.


         "Sounds like it is a big event. What all happens? Is it like a party?"


         Becky excitedly added, "More like a celebration. It's hard to explain. You will need to experience it. It's life-changing."


         "Life changing? That sounds like it's big. I am sure Dad and I will be there. He will probably want to be with his friends, so we can all hang out, and you can show me around."


         "We'll see how it goes," Sue said.




         "Dad, what is the Annual Autumn gathering? My friends wanted to know if I was attending. I told them I didn't know anything about this."


         "I meant to bring this up, but I guess I kept forgetting. The Autumn gathering is an annual celebration every November 1st. It is a time of reflection and remembrance of those who came before us."


         "That doesn't sound like a celebration. It sounds depressing."


         "Some of it is very solemn, yes. There is also a celebration. It is the end of the harvest season, a time of celebration.."


         "Is your club involved in this?"


         "We are the main sponsor. It is part of the tradition. I will be there. You are more than welcome to stay with me during the event. Are your friends going to be there?"


         "Yeah, they asked me if I wanted to tag along. Seems like you'll be busy, so I think I will."


          "Good. I'm glad. The main celebration occurs at 10:00 p.m. Try to be as close to the stage as possible."


          "Why are some people carrying rocks and others carrying pieces of rope?" Andi quietly asked Sue.
          "I guess I should tell you a little history of our town. Were the Salem Witch Trials ever taught in your history classes?" Questioned Sue.


          "Weren't women accused of witchcraft, tried, and then tortured? I think I also read to get them to confess the women were dunked in water and drowned."


          "You got it partially right. Men and women, even children, were accused of witchcraft, imprisoned, tortured, and then hung. One person was placed under heavy stones and crushed to death. No one drowned. Not one of the accused was a witch."


          "That's horrible. The teacher or textbook didn't say anything like that. Why would the town folk do such a terrible thing to innocent people?"


          "Histeria. Afraid of something they didn't understand or approve. Following the crowd mentality."


          "I understand. I have been harassed, called vulgar names, bullied, and even kicked out of stores and restaurants because I am a lesbian. Only my closest friends in my old school, and even then, two knew about my relationship with Tina."


          "Back then, you would have been hung for that relationship. Times have changed for the better. There is still so much more needed. Has your Dad told you about what this celebration is about?"


          "He said this is a time to remember and reflect on what has happened, celebrate the harvest, and praise the renewal, whatever that meant."


          "Good. Keep that in mind during the night. Keep an open mind. Oh, look at the time. It is almost ten, so let's get to the courthouse before the celebration begins."


          "Dad said to get close to the stage. But look. There is a huge crowd already there."


          "Don't worry, we'll get close to the stage. Stay with me."


          As Sue and Andi walked through the crowd toward the stage, Andi noticed for the first time that there was an eye-level min-stage in front of the big stage. On the big stage sat nine wooden chairs while the mini-stage was bare.


          "Who are the chairs for?" Asked Andi.


          "Those chairs are for the Hidden," Sue answered matter of factly.          


          "Who are they? Why are they up there?"


          "The Hidden represents the eight Sabbats and the Speaker."


          "I remember reading about the sabbats. Aren't they the festivals celebrated by Wiccans during the year? Each Sabbat is a specific focus on a seasonal marker."


          "Perfect, Andi. Many people are not aware of that. These rituals go back centuries. After the Salem Witch Trials ended, many fled Salem, seeking freedom from persecution and the freedom to practice. In 1693, the refugees founded Almse."


          Sue let Andi process the information before she continued. "The town had its share of hardships and growing pains. Instead of a mayor, a council of citizens, the Hidden, would oversee the town's growth and govern according to the Wiccan Core Beliefs. Of these beliefs, the belief in magick is of utmost importance.


          "Wait. You're telling me the refugees from Salem founded this town on their belief in magick? Isn't that the reason they left is to get away from the false accusations of witchcraft?"


          "No. The refugees left because they were witches. We prefer the title of Wiccans. The founders of Almse practiced witchcraft, so they created a place free of persecution for all of us."


          "Us? How many witches, I mean Wiccans, are there in town?


          "As far as I know, most of the people in town are Wiccans and practice some form of witchcraft. Cowans and the others support and honor the traditions."


          "You can't be serious. Witchcraft, Wiccans, magick, and a whole town who believe and practice it? Did you mention something about cowans? What are those? Different type of Wiccans?"


          "No. A cowan is someone who practices witchcraft without being initiated."


          Before Sue could answer, all the lights turned off except the big stage lights. There is a sudden evaporation of all sounds as all eyes focus on the stage.


          A procession of brightly colored cloaked and hooded figures walk out in a single file toward the center of the stage. As they pass the waiting chairs, each stops at their appointed chair. Except for the middle seat, everyone on the stage stands in front of their chair.


          A faint smell of earthly and wood incense appears to come from all directions simultaneously. Everyone present is silently watching the stage.


          From the left of the stage, another cloaked individual walks somberly toward the waiting group. While still multi-colored, the robe appeared to have a yellow glow. As the figure reached the center chair, facing the crowd, both arms raised, palms forward, displaying a white five-pointed star like the one in Andi's fireplace, and on the other palm, what appeared to be a spiral with three ends.


          When the arms lowered, everyone on stage sat down except the center figure. With hands folded in front, a female voice loudly intoned, "May the Triple Goddess Bless and keep you."


          As one, the crowd responded, "Blessings unto you and the Hidden Council."


          "Tonight, we celebrate Samhain. On this night, the veil between this world and the other world is the thinnest. Our magick is now most potent. Our connection with Nature is the greatest; we feel Her within our minds, body, and essence."


          "During our celebration of Samhain, tonight, we have a dire matter to bring forward."


          Murmuring is heard throughout the crowd until the speaker raises a hand. Silence ensues, and the speaker continues. "We have in our midst a cowan, one not yet initiated; turn and use Dark Energy. It is uncertain if this is deliberate, untrained, or ignorance. For whatever reason, this goes against our tenants and beliefs and is unacceptable."


          There was another pause; however, there was only disbelief silence.


          "The cowan responsible will be dealt with swiftly and harshly. I am evoking Article 143, Section 97 of the Alsme Charter."


          At once, the crowd broke into chaos, and the noise was overwhelming. The speaker waited for the talking to die down before speaking.


          "I understand your dismay. I empathize with it. However, no matter the level, a practitioner of Dark Energy cannot be allowed in our midst, even if they do not yet understand what they are doing."


          Another pause.


          "We have already taken into custody the responsible cowan." Turning left toward behind the curtain, the speaker states, "Bring out the desecrator."


          A procession came into view. Two brown-robed and hooded figures led out someone wearing a black robe, followed by two more brown-robed individuals. When the procession reached the speaker, they turned to face the crowd.

          "As per Article 143, Section 97 of the Alsme Charter," began the speaker, "you are now found guilty of practicing the use of Dark Energy. We have revoked your rights and privileges of our Coven. As part of Samhain, let us begin."


          A loud scraping sound occurs on the smaller platform, and a trapdoor opens. The noisy grinding of massive gears Andiaks the silence. In the center of the smaller platform, rising above the stage is a horizontal crossbeam supported at both ends built upon a scaffold nine feet above the stage. A rope hangs down from the horizontal crossbeam.


          The person wearing the black robe was led up the platform, up the stairs to the waiting noose. After a brown-robed guard placed the rope around the neck and tightened it, Andi heard an audible sob coming from beneath the black hood.


         "Andi whispered to Sue, "They're not going to hang her, are they?"


         Sue whispered in Andi's ear, "Talking is not allowed."


         Andi turned back toward the gallow and watched as the trapdoor opened, and the body fell through, making an audible snap of the neck, killing the victim instantly.


         There was silence. Andi could not even hear the wind in the trees. She stood in shock as the body on the scaffolding swayed gently. Her mind could not process what she witnessed. In the background, she heard someone calling her name, but she couldn't focus on the sound.


         "Andi. Andi, wake up. Come on, look at me, look at me."


         Orienting her focus on the sound, she opened her eyes and discovered she was lying on her back, staring into Sue's face.


         "Andi, you fainted. It's over. The guards removed the body. Don't sit up yet; get your bearings first. Sara and Beth found us."


         "They killed someone! Someone died in front of everyone, and no one tried to stop it. What's wrong with you?"


         "Andi Basset, please stand up and turn around." The feminine voice resonated with authority, "Turn and be recognized."


         When Andi turned, she recognized the speaker. It was the speaker from the stage. Behind the speaker, a brown cloak stood silently.


         "Wiccans believe in the eternal soul and its journey back into the physical plane of reality. Death is not a time of mourning but rather a time of celebration. We believe death signifies the ending of a learning period. We believe that the soul will be reborn into a new body when the time is right."


         "But you killed someone tonight. A person died . ."


         "When they are reborn, the cleaning of the soul will be complete. You will learn more during your initiation period."


         "What initiation period? What do you mean?"


         "You have been reborn. This Coven has been waiting for you, Andred, for over one hundred years. You are the High Priestess of our Coven. Before you died, you foresaw your future. Written down and passed on to each following generation, we have been waiting for you to return home."


         "Reborn? Return home? I am not this Andred person. I need to speak with my Dad. He'll straighten this out."




         Instead of replying, the speaker turned around and nodded to the guard. With this gesture, the guard removed the hood.


         "Hello, Andi."


         "Dad? What are you doing here? You are supposed to be at your club. I don't understand."


         "There is much you need to hear. Unfortunately, now isn't the time or place." Moving closer to Andi, "I need to introduce you to the High Priestess."


         "Her?" gesturing toward the woman in the yellow robe, "Why? I don't want to know her. She is talking nonsense. Can't we go home?"


         "You need to meet her. It's important, especially for you."


         "Please, Dad, can we go now? I don't want to talk with her anymore. I want to go home."


         "Andi, you need to listen to the High Priestess."


         "Why? She is probably trying to get you to believe I am a reincarnated priestess or something."


         "You need to meet her because she is your mother."


                   
Twisted Tales Contest
Word Count: 5,758
                   
         

© Copyright 2024 J.R. PETE (jtpete86 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2322813-Bloodlines