*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2322574-The-Shadow-Man--WC-290
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2322574
Katie is having her monthy session with her shrink.
The Shadow Man


I am reclining in my therapist’s office on the really comfy couch. In the summer, my legs stick to the leather when I’m wearing shorts, but that’s another story.

“Tell me,” Dr. Paragon says.

I want to, but I don’t want to get locked away. Again.

“Please, Katie.”

I do want to tell her, but she sounds too much like my mother.

“You nag me like my mother does.”

“Sorry, Katie. We are starting to dig deeper.”

After a bit, I mumble, “The strangest thing happened today.”

“I can’t hear mumbles, sweetie.”

What was so strange about earlier? Well, I was walking to the shrink’s office from the bus stop when this shadow came out of the alley and tapped me on the shoulder. A shadow. Of a man? Perhaps.

He, or whatever, said, “Can you trust Dr. Paragon with your deepest thoughts?”

I’ve been wondering that myself.

“You can trust me, Katie,” the shadow said. “I won’t tell your mother anything.”

Has Dr. Paragon been reporting to my mother? I am an adult. I just turned eighteen. Mom is paying for these sessions, but I thought things were confidential.

“No thank you. I don’t want to talk to anyone about this, let alone a shadow person,” I said and walked toward Dr. Paragon’s office.



The session is almost over. I get up and head for the door, with Dr. Paragon calling after me.

“Katie, our time isn’t up.”

“Close enough,” I say over my shoulder.

I've decided to figure this out on my own. Or maybe, I’ll meet up with Mr. Shadow Man. Yes, I'm positive the shadow is a man. I do think men are easier to talk to.

I hurry toward the alley.
© Copyright 2024 jackiesmuse (jackiesmuse at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2322574-The-Shadow-Man--WC-290