*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2322562-Strange-Is-A-Matter-Of-Viewpoint
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Sci-fi · #2322562
Laura tells Jeff about the strange happenings of her day. 300 words
Strange Is A Matter Of Viewpoint


“The strangest thing happened today,” Laura Starr commented as she stirred her drink.

“Is that so? I could use a good story,” Jeff Cubz said after taking a long drink of his beer and burping loudly.

“I drove to the supermarket just to stock up on some food for the long weekend. I walked in and there were absolutely no carts to be had. The funniest part was there were only about ten people in the store at the time.”

“Probably most of the carts were out in the parking lot corrals. Fewer staff, fewer people to do cart retrieval I guess.”

“There wasn’t a single cashier available either.”

“I hope you didn’t go to the self-checkouts! If I want to work in a grocery store, I want to get paid!”

“I’m the same,” Laura told him as she ordered another drink.

“So, what did you do?”

“I gathered all my groceries and hauled them by hand out to my car, unloaded them in the trunk, unlocked my door and drove off. Nobody tried to stop me!”

“Good for you! Any repercussions?”

“No, none; which I thought surprising.”

Laura looked around.

“Have you noticed how few customers are here? Usually, this place is hopping by now.”

Jeff scanned the bar.

“Now that you mention it, it does seem dead.”

“Let’s find a place that’s jumpin’ what do you say?”

So, Jeff and Laura headed for the main doors. They stepped outside to nothing. No traffic, no cars, no neon lights, no paved roads, Literally, nothing.

“If we were in Kansas, we aren’t there anymore,” they said together as they dropped into the void.

“The earth disappeared tonight, a little bit at a time. It is not expected back.” a Twilight Zone style voice announced.


© Copyright 2024 dragonwoman (draygonlayd60 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2322562-Strange-Is-A-Matter-Of-Viewpoint