*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2322410-Vinnie-Saves-More-Than-The-Day
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by KS23
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2322410
But how’s the dog?
Mike slammed down the phone. “Vinnie, leave the dog alone and come in here. The jeweler said I’ve got to pick up the rings right now or I won’t be able to get them until he returns from vacation. But the printer needs this flash drive with the invitation details by noon today. I can’t do both. So I need you to deliver this. Okay?”

“No problem, bro.”

“This is really important, Vinnie. Got it? No distractions. No side trips. Just get this to the printer, and don’t get lost.

“Get lost?”

“Vinnie. Last Thursday you were supposed to pick up the pizzas, but you saw a stray dog and followed it for half a mile. We had to send Danny out to get the pizzas, and to find you.”

“But the dog was lost, and I had to help it find its way home.”

“Yeah, fine,” huffed Mike. “Listen, I love you, bro, but this is critical. I need you to really focus and deliver this before noon, okay?”

Vinnie nodded, pocketed the flash drive, jumped in his car, and took off. Twenty minutes later, he found a parking space a block from Alvin’s Printers. Just before reaching the door, however, the same dog from last week bolted from an alley and ran across the busy road.

Vinnie immediately gave chase. But at the next intersection, his mission changed. Two women stood frozen in the crosswalk as an out-of-control flower truck hurtled toward them. With no hesitation, Vinnie pushed them away from certain death.

Later that day, in Vinnie’s hospital room, Mike was in tears hugging his brother. “You not only saved my precious Nancy, but you also saved Alvin’s daughter Martha.”

Vinnie smiled and said, “That’s great. And how’s the dog?”
© Copyright 2024 KS23 (kellyspring23 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2322410-Vinnie-Saves-More-Than-The-Day