*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2322387-The-Destruction-of-a-Loved-Small-Town
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: GC · Article · Personal · #2322387
This is a true event that takes place in Greenfield Iowa in the United States of Americe.
Warning:
Graphic events and profane language are present in this work. If you are sensitive to any of this, this is your warning!

In the bustle of business as usual, the small town I live in was not prepared for the impending doom and destruction for a tornado now classified as an EF-5.
When I got home from work, I turned on the news to all the local stations such as KCCI, NBC and ABC. All three chanels were weather as severe storms were ripping across the state at impressive speeds. Little did I know what was coming.
At 3:20 PM, the tornado sirens sounded, alerting the town of a tornado had entered town going west to east. The speed of the tornado was 70 miles an hour, well faster than all other tornadoes. It had already caused hundreds of thousands in damage as it had toppled huge wind turbines with the sheer wind speed. Before the sirens went off, there was a eerie calm that had come across the small town and that alone freaked me out.
My storm chaser buddies called and told me to seek shelter in my basement ASAP. That made me nervous and mad at the same time. I all but got to my basement when I heard the tornado sirens get triggered, so I turned the TV I have in my basement to the most trusted news and weather station, just in time for the power to go out. Then I heard it. I heard the roar of a freight train. I high tailed it to my tornado shelter and got covered up with an old thick sleeping bag with an extra thick blanket sewn to it just for this instance. As soon as I got hunkered down and covered up I heard all the windows break and debris penting my house. I was now in the tornado. If I remember right, I prayed until I was crying. Literally crying and in fifteen seconds, it was dead quiet again and sun was shining through the broken windows and casting light on the walls that were covered in mud, grass, broken glass and whatever else could be plastered to the three year old paint.
As I went outside I could see for miles, where I usually couldn't because of houses, that were no longer there.
"Shit. This is fucking bad. This is hell on earth. My life is over!" I yelled at the top of my lungs knowing the whole damn town could hear me. I crumbled when I liooked in my back yard to see the three bay garage completely destroyed. My dad's pickup was the main support at this time.
My dad and mom were coming back into town at this instant to where they were stopped and asked to show their ID's. They did and they were let back into town. They were going to stop at the Casey's to refuel, then saw the destruction, so they literally hit the gas and got to me to make sure I was safe, but I wasn't at the house. I was over talking to my neighbor and calming her down. And now? Well. Sleepless nights, horrible dreams, and wanting to literally pull all my fucking hair out. I destroyed my bacement storm door trying to get out, making it useless any unable to close without slamming it, but that's the smallest concern right now. The major, and I mean major concern is, are we going to lose the house? Will we be homeless? Are we going to die?
This is a never ending nightmare right now as I am sick now too, and may never be able to talk again from my severe case of laryngitis. So there's that too. I wish you all well, and please, if you review, tread lightly. This is still a fresh wound, and it's deep. Be kind and care about your family, because you never know when they may end up in this situation, or worse.

Real time events.
© Copyright 2024 KennyBlazek (kennethblazek at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2322387-The-Destruction-of-a-Loved-Small-Town