*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2322260-Different-Strokes
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2322260
Flash Fiction
Different Strokes

“What do you wanna do today?” Ted asked his twin brother Alan.

“What are you talking about?”

“It’s Saturday, what do you wanna do?”

“We’re going to the zoo with Mom and Dad.”

“No, they didn’t say that. Mom said she’s gonna rake the yard. Remember?”

“Yes, just like two weeks ago she told us they were gonna clean the garage and we ended up at that carnival.”

“But she said…”

“That’s just what they want us to think. They tell us something boring so we won’t get all excited, and then they surprise us like as if they just thought of it.”

“Huh… why?”

“So we won’t get all over excited and drive them crazy waiting till it’s time to go.

“I am excited!”

“Well you have to pretend that you’re not. They think it’s important to surprise us, that’s why they get us doing chores and then change it to something fun! So, we have to pretend we are helping out with whatever they tell us we’re gonna do today. Even if it sounds boring. Can you do it?”

“Of course!” Ted said, full of confidence.

Unfortunately, full of confidence was not what it seemed like when Mom and Dad walked in. Ted acted as if he was a zombie.

“Yes, we can clean our room,” he said, in his blandest voice as he walked to their room slowly, determined not to let the zoo excitement, or whatever, sneak out.

As the family sat in the Urgent Care waiting room waiting for the doctor to see Ted because Mom was sure he was sick even though he insisted he just wanted to clean the room, Dad took Alan outside.

“He’s not a very good actor,” Dad said.

“Tell me about it…” Alan said, they both laughed.
© Copyright 2024 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2322260-Different-Strokes