*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2322195-Girls-dont-play-football
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest · #2322195
Young girl wants to play with the big boys.
“Girls don’t play football,” he said with annoyance rolling his eyes at the scrawny ponytailed girl standing before him. The group of boys standing just behind him murmured amongst themselves in agreement. “This is tackle football and we’re not messing around. I would crush you like a bug.” He was taller than the other boys in the group with a hefty but healthy build. In all honesty she was quite nervous. With indignation she loudly replied, “I’m not afraid of you!

“Okay fine, but if you get hurt, tell your Dad we tried to say no. I’m not getting grounded because of your ignorance.” Again the other boys murmured in agreement. “You're on their team,” he said, gesturing with the flip of his hand. “Fine,” she said with conviction and moved over to join her new team mates.

As this was just a small game in the park there were four linemen and a quarterback for each team. Having not proven herself worthy to be the quarterback or hike the ball, she was directed to play as an outside lineman by her team's captain. He was soft spoken and had a gentle way about him. She could tell he was nervous for her.

The other team had the ball and they were three fourths of the way to a touchdown that would tie the score. As the first play started the leader smashed into her small frame with surprising force that immediately knocked her to the ground. Unfazed, she quickly rose and raced after him. Just as he was about to catch the pass, she leapt into the air and intercepted the ball. With no hesitation and speed that struck all the boys, she ran the ball all the way across the field for a touchtown. Her first of many.

Word count = 300
© Copyright 2024 Lieriel (lieriel at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2322195-Girls-dont-play-football