*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2322170-Sleep
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2322170
Flash Fiction
Sleep

“I couldn’t sleep, which was pretty unusual for me. Normally I’d start reading, and then wake up and push the book off the bed.

As I laid there, I started hearing a tiny noise toward my closet. We hadn’t had mice in years! I thought it could be a bug, something that got in when the door was open. I wanted to be asleep! Though I also didn’t want whatever it was to die in my room. I got up.

Flipping on the light I saw a small being, like a person only rounder and no neck, standing in front of my closet. I immediately realized I must be asleep and just unaware of it! It was exciting! Being aware in a dream! I spoke to the being.

“Hello! Who are you?” I said as friendly as I could manage. The being didn’t look happy. “It’s OK. I’m not afraid of you. Are you alright? Can I help you?”

“Yes,” it said, “Go back to sleep! I can’t get my job done if you’re awake talking to me!”

“I woke up. Now, a bit scared. I searched my room top to bottom and never found even a trace of anything, other than my own sloppiness. It had to be a dream, but it was so real. I spent the next days, going back to check, over and over. But he, she? it? never came back. I won’t give up though!”

“That’s lovely Iris,” Dr. Grant said. “Let me know when it happens!”

Iris, ninety-three, was still waiting for that creature she thought she saw when she was fourteen. Dr. Grant left the room, smiling to himself.

The creature, Keet, hid in the closet until the door closed. He was so excited! It was finally time to talk to Iris again.
© Copyright 2024 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2322170-Sleep