*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2322137-Holding-Ones-Breath
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest · #2322137
Ash waited for the signal from Megan.
Ash was finding it harder to breathe as they stood on the road looking up at the house. A breath pulled into their lungs and held there as seconds ticked by. There wasn’t a sound, just complete and utter silence around them as they continued to keep their eyes trained on the house. The silence was starting to make their ears hurt as they watched, trying not to blink. They didn’t want to miss it. They didn’t want to lose even a fraction of a second.

A slight bounce had caused Ash’s right foot to move. It started slowly. Toes up. Toes down. Toes up. Toes down. Then the pace continued as the mounting anxiety rose with each beat of their heart. Ash’s green eyes scanned the windows and the doors. They just needed to know that she was all right.

Please signal.

The words raced through their brain as they continued their quest. They knew that Megan had gone into the house. They worried if maybe they should have gone in with her; to present the news together. Her father was not known to be the most understanding and breaking curfew was not going to be well received. Finally, there in the upper window the curtain parted and the illumination took place. Ash could see Megan in that window. She smiled at them and gave a thumbs up. A deep breath leaving their lungs with relief as Ash turned to walk away, a smile curving their lips. They could still smell Megan’s perfume and started to count the minutes until tomorrow came and they could see her again.

Word count: 269
© Copyright 2024 Tragically Happy (iconicirony at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2322137-Holding-Ones-Breath