*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2322051-The-Price-of-Forbidden-Magic
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by KS23
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2322051
Omari must decide how much he's willing to sacrifice.
Omari, a struggling young farmer, has learned of a secret magic shop that offers forbidden knowledge. And he knows his life may be forfeit just by seeking it. But his beloved mother always taught him that doing the right thing is sometimes worth a steep price or great sacrifice. Her death while working to oppose the tyrant ruler Lommog proved her faith and dedication.

Omari closed the shop door firmly behind him, then turned to face the hooded owner. With head high and chest forward he asked, “Have you the tools with which I can defeat the evil despot who is enslaving our people?” He thinks of his mother and adds, “No price is too great.”

The mysterious owner took a moment to appraise Omari. “Be careful brave farmer. Indeed, such knowledge and skill does exist. Many have sought it before you, but the price has so far been higher than any have been willing to pay.”

Omari quickly replied, “No price is too high for the freedom of our people, even though I may perish to achieve that goal. I wish such magic. How much does it cost?

“You are young and impatient and lacking in wisdom, my fearless friend. Take care before you proceed.”

“You are trying to frighten me, sir. But I am steadfast in my resolve.”

“We’ll see,” said the hooded owner. “The price…” He paused, looking hard at Omari. “…is your most cherished memory. That of your mother.”

Omari stared in shock. The strong shoulders gradually sunk and his out thrust chest collapsed. His proud head fell forward in dismay as tears filled his eyes.

Omari turned and lumbered to the door. As he reached out and touched the handle, he paused, eyes closed. Then his head rose and looked back to the owner.
© Copyright 2024 KS23 (kellyspring23 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2322051-The-Price-of-Forbidden-Magic