*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2321990-Maises-Adventure
Rated: E · Short Story · Animal · #2321990
Cat's bring home the strangest objects.






As soon as our cat, Maisie, slipped through the back door, she darted to the corner of the room, her tail in a frenzied sway. This was the beginning of another adventure that always left me anticipating and fearing what she might bring back.

Each time Maisie, our fearless and independent cat, returned from her outdoor adventures, I braced myself for the inevitable. It was either a lifeless bird or a tiny mouse, both of which I dreaded finding in the house. The struggle of having a cat that roamed freely outside and lived inside, with a door flap as her gateway, was real. Maisie was a force to be reckoned with, refusing to be contained no matter how hard we tried.

I knew that once she was sure her prize was dead, she would grow bored, abandon it, and head off to curl up on her bed for a nap. Maise left no stone unturned. I would have to wait her out and dispose of the carcass as soon as that happened. I was always prepared for this, grabbing the necessary equipment for retrieval, a dustpan, and two Target bags.

"Maisie, are you done with the gem you found?" I said, hip resting against the kitchen counter, growing increasingly anxious to get this over with. "You always bring the most interesting things, don't you?"

"Meow," Maise responded and headed out of the room.

I grabbed the needed tools and went to the corner. To my surprise, it wasn't an animal. Instead, a delicate and colorful object lay on the floor.

I picked the fairy off the floor, surprised by the intricate purple, green, and gold stitchwork on the wings and body.

"Somebody's surely missing you. After a bit of cleaning, you'll be good as new."








WC: 298
Prompt: Fairy, stone, cat
© Copyright 2024 Purple Princess (purpleprincess at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2321990-Maises-Adventure