*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2321929-The-Amulet-of-Destiny
Rated: E · Prose · Religious · #2321929
True story
In the not too distant past, this amazing non-fictional story unfolded, which changed not only my life, but also affected the fates of many people.

My name is Chaim, and 8 years ago my life was turned upside down when I was invited to manage a large investment project in Ukraine. My job required me to travel around the country a lot, but the amazing story I want to tell you about is one I will never forget.

On one of my trips, fate brought me to a small village in the central part of Ukraine.

An ordinary, unprecedented working day turned into something extraordinary in an instant.

When I was exploring the territory of the enterprise with its director, I was approached in Ukrainian by the guard on duty, a man in his 60s with a wan look:

- Excuse me, are you Jewish?

I must say, the question was rhetorical, as I was wearing a kippah on my head, which I never take off.

I replied jokingly - why, isn't it obvious? Why do you ask?

The guard, hesitating, replied that he wanted to consult me on a matter that was important to him.

I told him: ask, I'm listening to you.

The man told me an amazing story, which immediately interested and excited me. It was a real touch of fate that touched the destinies of many people.

The guard said that he had an amulet at home, which he had inherited from his grandfather, who had passed on to him this amazing tragic story.

The case took place during World War II in a concentration camp.

Another group of imprisoned Jews were prepared for a horrifying death penalty in a gas chamber.

In the string of unfortunate, desperate people there was a thin, haggard old man, in tattered clothes, with a gray beard and intelligent, sad eyes. The old man was very weak from exhaustion and could hardly stand on his feet.

The line of prisoners moved toward the entrance to the gas chamber.

When the old man approached the guard's grandfather, he grabbed him by the hand with his bony palm, in which the amulet was clasped, and, without releasing his hand, said quietly, but unusually harshly, I curse you and all your kind - this thing must go to the Holy Land!

The old man added a few more words in the ancient sacred language, released his hand, leaving the amulet in the hand of the guard.... stepped into the chamber and stepped back into eternity.

The guard was silent and after a long pause he asked me - since you seem to be a knowledgeable man, tell me, what should I do with this thing?

I tried to sell it, but no one wants it.

Maybe it's a guardian* and I should wear it myself?

The answer was obvious to me, and I answered without hesitation:

No - you have no right to wear that amulet, it is not meant for you, it is clear from your story. Go and fetch the thing of which you speak; I want to look at it.

He left, and when he returned about fifteen minutes later, he took the amulet out of his pocket and held it out to me.

It was an ancient, time-darkened medallion, handmade.

The alloy from which it was cast had obviously also been specially handcrafted for this amulet.

On the front of the artifact, a sword with a crown in the center was inscribed with the unpronounceable Name of Hashem**.

On the reverse side were encoded Kabbalistic symbols representing the names of the angels.

In addition, there were many other Kabbalistic symbols inscribed on both sides.

There was no doubt - in front of me was an ancient cameo, made by a real expert of the "closed part of the Torah" - Kabbalah.

I was pierced by a vivid feeling that fate had not just brought me to this place and led me to this ancient artifact, shrouded in many secrets and symbols. I had been chosen by Heaven to fulfill some mission - a holy mitzvah.

After a little thought, I said to the guard, "I am buying this amulet from you.

I, Chaim Tal ben Tamar, in the name of G-d, release you and your clan from the spell cast upon you regarding this item. Your mission regarding this item has been accomplished, and soon this amulet will be delivered to the Holy Land.

The guard silently and quietly handed me the amulet, I took it carefully, wrapped it up and hid it in the inside pocket of my jacket, near my heart, gave him the money, said goodbye and left.

A week later I got off the plane at Ben-Gurion Airport and went straight to the Wailing Wall in Jerusalem.

There, in the minyan, dressed in tallit and tefillin***, touching the Wall, I recited the ancient, well known unifying prayer of LeShem Yichud: "For the sake of the unity of the Holy One, blessed be He and His Shechinah.... behold, I have come to fulfill this mitzvah."

Next, I offered all the necessary prayers to uplift the soul of Abraham ben Sarah**** and made the decision that it was obviously G-d's will that this amulet become mine and I would use it for its intended purpose, which I have yet to find out, like the meaning of the numerous symbols on the cameo.

Since then, the amulet has been my constant companion - I wear it around my neck and never take it off.

Of course, I had to learn all the symbols and secrets of the ancient artifact that now belonged to me.

For weeks, months, years I plunged into the secrets of the amulet, and each new secret it revealed brought me closer to the truth. Finally, I understood the meaning and sense of all names and symbols, kavanot***** and other secrets of the amulet and accepted it completely.

But that is another story.

This story is about how an ancient amulet, intricately intertwining the destinies of people, was sent to me from the distant past to become part of my life, filling it with the light and power of G-d.

I was also honored with the great mitzvah to lift up a prayer for the lifting up of the souls of the righteous and all those whose lives were taken by the Shoah, may their souls remain in Gan Eden.



* In the beliefs of some peoples, an object that protects its possessor from all kinds of misfortune.

** The mention of the Name of the Most High has a very great power and must not be uttered in vain. The commandment "Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain".

*** Prayer Supplies.

**** The name we call when the real name of the Jew we mention in prayer is unknown.

***** Kavanagh (plural kavvanot) - intention, inner disposition, concentration of thoughts and heart to fulfill a commandment, desire to fulfill it in the best possible way.

© Copyright 2024 Chaim Tal (chaimtal at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2321929-The-Amulet-of-Destiny