*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2321906-Does-Sin-Exist
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by KS23
Rated: ASR · Essay · Cultural · #2321906
Brief answer to the questions: Do you think sin exists? If so, what is it?
Do you think sin exists? If so, what is it?

There are numerous synonyms for the word "sin" depending on the context and the specific nuances one wishes to convey. Some examples are: misdeed, offense, transgression, wrongdoing, trespass.

Other synonyms with a specific connection to one or more divine deities exist as well, but I have a problem with a bond between “sin” and any deities. My issue is straightforward. I believe if a divine creator is the source of humanity, that creator must also be the source of sin. Therefore, any so-called human sin must also be divine. That’s a contradiction my mind cannot honestly resolve.

So my first response to the question, “Does sin exist?” is this: in a religious context, no.

In other frameworks, sin may be considered as a personal failing, or as behaviors that are harmful to individuals or the community. In such cases it might teach individuals to understand right from wrong, and guide their behavior towards moral living, based on the morals of the community. In this circumstance, sin serves to maintain social order and cohesion.

So my second response is that sin does exist, as one of many descriptors for harmful human failings or behaviors.


Word count: 202
© Copyright 2024 KS23 (kellyspring23 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2321906-Does-Sin-Exist