*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2321900-First-Time-Crime
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Crime/Gangster · #2321900
Laura tries to rob a store. 300 words
First Time Crime


Laura Simons loved the streets at night. She often sneaked out to wander them, fascinated by the different ambience from daytime.

“There are fewer people, which is both comforting and eerie. The lights seem brighter, almost gaudy and window-shopping is so much easier,” she told herself.

Just as that thought formed in her mind, she stopped in front of a particular shop window. A single overhead light shone tantalizingly down on a ring.

“Wow, that is gorgeous! I love the colors,” she whispered.

Suddenly, she wanted, no, she had to have it! She fought briefly with her greed and avarice. But when her eyes fell on a brick at her feet, she knew it was fated. She picked it up and experimentally hefted it.

“I should be able to throw it hard enough,” she decided.

Laura stepped back a foot or so, cocked back her arm and threw it as hard as she could. The brick bounced harmlessly off the glass and flew back to smack her in the face hard. Holding her aching face and slightly bleeding nose, she stood there stunned and painful.

When she’d recovered sufficiently, Laura took off running for home, the gorgeous jewelry forgotten. It wasn’t until she got there that she realized she’d have to explain her face in the morning. Sorting through scenarios, she decided on having accidentally walked into her door while on her way to the bathroom in the night.

Holding a washcloth to her battered face, she changed, took some pain meds and went to bed.

“Stopped cold during an attempted criminal act by shatterproof glass. My guardian angel sure knows when to step in, although it might have been better if it had happened before I threw the brick,” Laura thought drowsily as she fell asleep.
© Copyright 2024 dragonwoman (draygonlayd60 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2321900-First-Time-Crime