*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2321620-The-Right-Choice
by KS23
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2321620
It's good to have the most important things in common.
Josh eased along the woodland path, savoring the sights and smells. A symphony of greens, sunlight piercing through the foliage creating dappled patterns while casting a soft, ethereal glow upon the forest floor. Patches of delicate ferns carpeted the ground beside the trail in shades of emerald and jade.

He breathed deep, the air alive with the sweet fragrance of wildflowers. A light wind drifting through the grasses delivered an earthy scent mingled with the subtle perfume of wild roses in bloom.

Reaching up to caress a scarlet honeysuckle vine, Josh frowned at his hand, imagining a gold band on the ring finger. He so loved MaryAnn, but while she did like the wide open outdoors, she was not a woodsy person and had little experience with forest trails. She never joined him on his walks, nor had she ever expressed any interest in hiking through the trees.

He drew her photo from his shirt pocket. She was kind, intelligent, caring, and absolutely beautiful. An unblemished beauty, which she rarely hid behind powders and makeup.

He could live with her for a lifetime, but would that mean giving up his cherished woodland walks?

Josh neared his favorite spot on the trail. He always paused there, to gaze in awe of the clusters of purple lupines nodding gracefully amidst a sea of tall grass, and fiery orange tiger lilies reaching skyward, their petals unfurling like flames. In the middle of it all, butterflies flitted from bloom to bloom, their wings shimmering with iridescent hues of azure and gold.

But today he wasn’t alone, a woman stood delighting in Josh’s precious view. It was MaryAnn.

“You were so right, Josh. This is breathtaking. I could do this with you forever.”

And they continued their walk hand in hand.
© Copyright 2024 KS23 (kellyspring23 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2321620-The-Right-Choice