*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2321341-The-Reluctant-Heirloom
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Prier
Rated: E · Fiction · Drama · #2321341
A story about an antique urn.
         Jeffery Pearce stood in the muted light of his living room, the antique urn in his hands catching fragments of the sun that dared to trespass through the half-closed blinds. He had found it earlier that day, nestled between worn-out vinyl records and chipped porcelain dolls at Gerald Finch’s garage sale. It was a peculiar piece, with intricate carvings that spoke of forgotten eras and silent histories. He imagined Cathy’s eyes lighting up at the sight of it, perched proudly on their bookcase.

         As he turned the urn over, a small clump of gray dust tumbled onto his palm. His heart stuttered in his chest. Ashes! Someone’s final essence reduced to mere dust in his unwitting grasp. The room seemed to shrink around him, and the air grew heavy with the weight of a thousand untold stories.

         Without a second thought, Jeffery wrapped the urn in an old newspaper and hastened back to Gerald’s driveway, now empty of the morning’s clutter and chatter. Gerald was there, sweeping away the last remnants of the day’s commerce.

          “Gerald, there’s been a mistake,” Jeffery began, his voice laced with urgency. “This urn, it contains ashes.”

         Gerald’s eyes, two flinty points under furrowed brows, met Jeffery’s. “All sales are final,” he said, his voice flat, betraying no hint of surprise or concern.

          “But it’s someone’s remains,” Jeffery protested, feeling a surge of frustration at Gerald’s indifference.

         Gerald leaned on his broom, unyielding. “Not my problem.”

         Jeffery felt an icy finger trace down his spine as he realized Gerald would likely sell the urn again if given the chance. He left, the urn feeling even heavier than before.

         Upon returning home, Jeffery recounted the ordeal to Cathy, expecting sympathy or advice. Instead, she recoiled from the urn as if it were a viper.

          “I won’t have it in our home,” she said, her voice quivering with a fear Jeffery did not recognize. “Can’t you feel it? The air is colder with it here. The ghost of a stranger will haunt us, or worse.”

         Jeffery tried to laugh it off, to ease her fears with logic and lightness, but her dread was infectious and soon settled in his own bones.

         Desperate for counsel, Jeffery knocked on Jim Karson’s door, the neighbor and friend who had always boasted an unflappable pragmatism.

         Jim listened, scratching his jaw thoughtfully before shrugging. “Flush ‘em. Keep the urn. It’s pretty,” he said with an ease that startled Jeffery.

         But Jeffery couldn’t do it. He couldn’t just erase someone’s existence like that. It was disrespectful; it was just plain wrong.

         That night, as Cathy slept on the couch, wrapped in every blanket they owned as if to shield herself from ghostly retribution, Jeffery lay awake in bed, staring at the urn perched mockingly on the dresser.

         He thought of the person to whom the ashes once gave form. Who had they been? Who had loved them? Who had let them go?

         The next morning found him at the library, scrolling through local obituaries and records in search of a clue. Hours passed until a name leaped out at him: Harold Finch. Finch—like Gerald. Harold had died two years prior, a solitary man with no kin but a brother estranged.

         With newfound determination, Jeffery returned to Gerald’s house. This time, he didn’t plead or argue. He simply told Gerald about Harold’s obituary and how he knew they were brothers.

         Gerald’s facade finally cracked; a tremor ran through his hands and his eyes dimmed with unshed tears.

          “He wanted to be scattered at sea,” Gerald whispered, his voice hoarse with suppressed grief. “But I couldn’t do it.”

         Jeffery understood then—the urn wasn’t just an object to be bartered; it was Gerald’s last connection to Harold.

          “Let me help,” Jeffery offered. “We’ll honor Harold together.”

         It took days for Gerald to agree. On a gray morning, they drove to the coast with Cathy by their side, her earlier fears quelled by compassion.

         Together, they stood at the edge of the churning water and released Harold to the embrace of the waves. The ashes danced on the wind before being swallowed by the vastness of the ocean.

         The drive home was quiet, but comfortable. There was a sense of closure, a peace that settled over them all like a soft blanket.

         The urn remained with Gerald, not as a receptacle for ashes or memories but as a symbol of release and the intricate ways lives intertwine and impact one another—seen and unseen.

         And in their bookcase back home, Jeffery placed a seashell they’d found on the beach—a testament to Harold Finch’s unseen life and their shared humanity that demanded dignity in remembrance.

© Copyright 2024 Prier (criper at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2321341-The-Reluctant-Heirloom