*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2321311-Ignorance-Is-Not-Always-Bliss
by KS23
Rated: ASR · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2321311
It's not who'll come back, but who'll come out.
Looking handsome in his uniform, Confederate First Lieutenant Tanner Whitfield embraced young Prudence on the porch of the plantation house. Samuel, the plantation’s dark-skinned coachman, stood close at hand, calming the officer’s mount.

“Please don’t worry my love,” said Tanner. “This so-called war will be over shortly. I’ll be back and we’ll be married…in time. Our time. Our forever time.”

Prudence kissed him gently before he took to horseback and rode off.

An hour later, another troop of soldiers arrived at Sweetwater Plantation. Prudence came out to the porch as Samuel came forward and took the reins of Captain Wyatt Buchanan’s steed. The Captain climbed the steps, held the young woman by the shoulders and pleaded. “Whatever else happens Prudence, promise me you won’t marry anyone, especially that Tanner, before I return. You must know that you and I are destined to be together. Fate has ordained it. Set your fears aside and believe that I will come home, to give us all a home.”

Prudence held Wyatt close, then kissed him with passion. Captain Buchanan descended the porch steps, took the reins from Samuel and climbed into the saddle.

As the troop disappeared down the road, Samuel climbed the steps to stand close beside Prudence.

“It’s been an interesting morning, Miss Prudence. Both your beaus are off to a war they might not come back from. And they seem deeply concerned that you will suffer because you will fret for their safety. Yet, you look as composed and steady as ever. You aren’t scared, are you?

“Oh, I’m scared all right, Samuel,” she said, turning to gaze up into his dark eyes. She put a hand on her belly and said, “I’m not sure at all whose baby this is.”
© Copyright 2024 KS23 (kellyspring23 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2321311-Ignorance-Is-Not-Always-Bliss