*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2321025-Lassie-To-The-Rescue
by KS23
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2321025
She's one resourceful dog.
One summer evening, just before dinner, Lassie came bursting through the doggie-door barking like mad.

“What’s wrong boy,” asked Dad.

Lassie kept barking and ran out the door. That moron still thinks I’m a boy. It’s amazing he has kids.

Mom, Dad and young Ginny ran after Lassie as she sped down to the old Wilson place, and into the backyard. She halted beside the farmer’s abandoned well and resumed barking. When Mom looked in the well she screamed. Little Timmy was wedged in the hole about ten feet down.

“I’m OK Mom,” he called, “but I’m completely stuck.”

“How’d you happen to get in there, son?” said Dad.

“I don’t know, Pop. Lassie and I and a bunch of my friends were just running around, kinda playing tag. Then I tripped on something and ended up in here.”

Dad grabbed his phone and dialed 911. A short while later, the men and women from the volunteer fire department arrived, followed moments later by several police officers and quite a few neighbors.

The officers gathered up Timmy’s buddies and questioned them, hoping one of them had seen the accident happen. But they all agreed no one was anywhere near Timmy when he suddenly disappeared. Except Lassie, of course.

The senior police woman approached Mom and Dad and shrugged. "Nobody knows what happened", she said. "It was just a simple mishap. Timmy is lucky to have such a smart and resourceful dog.”

Lassie sat whining beside the well as the fire department folks got a rope around Timmy and pulled him out. Inwardly, however, she was smiling and dreaming about all the treats and meaty bones she knew would be coming her way soon.

She was also wondering how to get little Ginny close to a nearby shallow cliff.
© Copyright 2024 KS23 (kellyspring23 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2321025-Lassie-To-The-Rescue