*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2320898-Considering-Scenarios
Rated: 13+ · Draft · Friendship · #2320898
It's an injury treatment scene for my story. I'm considering the writing style and flow.
Hi! I'm considering this scene for my story's timeline. It may not make it, but at least it was a good personality/action practice. Are the character interactions natural? Is the scene too long or short?
TW: Detailed Emergency Procedures
🩹Iqbal Injured Scenario 🩹

The screams and shouting have died down to whimpers and groans, most resting as they could in their pain. Until they have to move again.

Iqbal, who had been busy tending to the wounded, failed to realise his own wound; a metal rod lodged into his shin. Its presence was made known when he had bumped it against the wall, trails of red seeping through the cloth.

He cursed under his breath as the uncomfortable sensation accompanied by stinging suddenly appeared at his realization. With a sigh, he hobbled to a less crowded area to try and remove it. However, it was stuck behind his leg, which made it harder to pull out. He would be lying if he said it wasn't painful. In addition to minimizing blood loss by pulling it out slowly, it was a construction frame rod. Its bumpy edges pulled out bits of his flesh when he tugged it wrong.

Performing the task on himself was draining enough, now came the hard part; he or someone who could, needed to seal the wound right after the last of the rod was out and there was already a pool of blood around his leg.

His tired eyes looked around to find anybody who could help him but they were just patients. Then, his eyes met Rasheed's who had been observing his actions with a frown. Iqbal was hesitant to ask for his help, except he wasn't confident to complete the task himself.

"Rasheed. Can you help me?" he called out. To his surprise, he walked over from where he was sitting without much fuss, a few cloths in hand.

"Ah, I—" Rasheed cut Iqbal's explanation short by pushing his shoulder back.
"Lie down," he said curtly. He didn't wait for Iqbal to respond before he propped his injured leg on a nearby box, which made lying down a better position for comfort.

Rasheed got to work and Iqbal felt his headache and darkening vision recovering as he stared at the ceiling. He belatedly realized he was on the verge of fainting and probably looked pale as well. The pain he felt was minimal as the rod was pulled out. This part of the soldier, he had not seen before. Considerate. He was capable of that as well.

He braced for the inevitable spike in pain that came with bandaging the wound. Although, as he waited, he slowly and surely, drifted off to sleep.

Rasheed who had been focused on the wound, spoke up after a while, "I'm going to pull it out. It'll hurt a bit." He turned to look at him when he was met with silence.

"Oh.." Rasheed's acknowledgement was only conveyed by his slightly raised eyebrows on his otherwise stoic face.

He read basmallah and pulled it out. Iqbal didn't stir even after the wound was bandaged. Rasheed, done with his work, folded a blazer to make a pillow for Iqbal, and went on his way. There were a few things he needed to do before he too, could rest.

-End scene-
© Copyright 2024 Mysha.ember (mysha.ember at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2320898-Considering-Scenarios