*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2317395-Catfished-Part-3-Christine
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: ASR · Serial · Drama · #2317395
We're back to the mother's point of view. What will happen next?
How could I get around this whole video chatting thing? I couldn’t show Megan that it was me, yet. So I sent another text.

J: Can’t video chat with you tonight but I can do it later this week. I promise.

A small pause. Then…

M: You better. I’m tired of waiting. I want to see your face!

Instead of answering her, I changed the subject by making her go deep into her family life.

J: So, how’s your family doing?

M: Why?

J: I want to get to know you more.

M: M: Um, okay. So, I have a mom and a dad, and that’s it, basically. I don’t have any siblings. I always wanted some, but it's whatever.

J: What about your parents? How do you feel about them?

M: My parents? Um…my dad’s okay. My mom? Not so much.


I froze before typing.

J: What’s wrong with your mom?

M: Literally everything. She won’t let me do what I want. She won’t let me date or use the internet. She’s literally the worst. I just wish she wasn’t in my life!


My hands trembled. I started to feel a pain in my stomach. I shut my laptop and began feeling tears in my eyes. After everything I’d done for her, she decided to treat me this way. I let her use the internet. I let her live in my house. She wouldn’t be on this earth if it weren’t for me!

A few minutes later, I heard a knock on my door.

“Mom?” my daughter’s sickeningly soft voice said. “Are you okay?”

She must've heard my weeping.

I didn’t answer. I just wiped the tears from my eyes.

“Can I come in?”

I still didn’t answer.

Yet, she came in, anyway. She faced me, looking nervous.

I couldn’t confront her about the chat we just had. Or the chat she just had with “Jac”.

“You okay?” she asked again.

I looked up and gave her my best glare.

She slowly backed away. “Did I do something wrong?”

“You are grounded!” I hissed. I meant for my tone to be strong and firm, but it came out weak and broken. I had nothing else to say, but this was the only thing I’d rather say. “You’re grounded!”

“What? What did I do?”

“No questions. You’re grounded, and that’s that! No internet for a month!”

Megan glared back at me. “Are you serious? You can’t do that!”

I stood up and looked her in the eye. “I am your mother! I can do whatever I need to keep you in line!”

“Mom! Just tell me what I did wrong!”

“Go to your room!”

“No!”

I stormed closer to her. “Go to your room!”

“Not until you tell me what I did!”

My breaths shook with rage. I grabbed both sides of my head and turned away from her. “I can’t do this right now. I’m tired.”

“Mom, just-”

I turned back to her. “Go to bed.”

“Mom, I-”

“I said ‘go to bed’! We’ll talk about this in the morning!”

“Ugh!” She stormed out and slammed the door.

I didn’t bother switching into my pajamas that night. I just fell back into bed with more tears slipping out.

Harrison came in minutes later, laid down, and cuddled me with a kiss on my forehead.

“You okay, babe?”

“Why do you ask?”

“I heard you sobbing. What’s wrong? Is this about Megan?”

I sniffled. “Our daughter hates me. I used the Jac Short account and asked her how she felt about us, and she said she wanted nothing to do with me. So I grounded her.”

He raised his eyebrows. “Did you tell her why?”

“No. I told her to go to her room, instead.”

Small silence.

“Wh-what did she say about me?”

“That you were fine. But she hates me.” I couldn’t help but let my emotions envelop me. I grabbed a part of the blanket and wiped my nose with it. I would have to wash it tomorrow.

Harrison sighed. “Someday, you’ll have to tell her the truth.”

Another small silence.

“I will,” I finally said, about to drift to sleep. “Tomorrow.”
© Copyright 2024 Leslie Loo (leslieloo1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2317395-Catfished-Part-3-Christine