*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2287543-Washing-The-Curtains
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2287543
Flash Fiction
Washing the Curtains

I’d been in my rented room about four months when I realized if it was ever going to get cleaned I needed to do it. It sounds silly, I know, but most of my time till now was hotel rooms. Hotel rooms get cleaned every day! I’d been spoiled!

I used to do my job in different cities so hotels were best, and the company paid for them. With my promotion it was one city, an office and renting a room. If it worked out I would eventually get an apartment, but while I felt it was “on trial” I wanted something easy to give up, just in case. I know, I’d been spoiled with the travel, but I needed to grow up.

The curtains needed washing, one curtain actually had a cobweb on it! As I stood on the chair taking it down I noticed an odd piece on the frame of the window. I could see all the edges, so it had to be a patch. But, it almost looked like a tiny drawer. Immediately going with the fantasy, I tried pulling it open. It actually moved a bit!

Knowing I could just glue it back in, I pulled it more. Out it popped! And it was a tiny drawer. I knew that, the second I saw what was in it.

The house belonged to a company who bought it ten years ago, I checked. I also found out the prior owners were both deceased, and no children. It was important to me to know I wasn’t doing anything that would hurt anyone. I quit my job and now I travel anywhere I want, as an adult. The ring, hidden inside that drawer, was worth two million dollars.

Who knew washing your curtains could make you a millionaire!
© Copyright 2022 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2287543-Washing-The-Curtains