*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2285714-Proper-Attire
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest · #2285714
Daily Flash fiction. 300 Words
Donald is taken out of his trance reviewing quarterly sales figures by a knock on his office door. He looks upwards Marketing Director Gloria enters shutting the door behind her. "Something isn’t right here" she states angerly extending her hands outwards. "I don't know what you mean?" he replies half baffled and half afraid. Her pursed lips conveying a strong emotion of annoyance.

"YOU DON'T KNOW!!" she barks "Where's your tie, I saw you prance out of the canteen there without one and it stuck out like a sore thumb."

"Sorry, I forgot it" he responds tamely like a bold child waiting for the outburst from an angry parent.

"Forgot it!!" she yells "You're a businessman, you wear one at least five days a week" raising her voice again "You're a senior manager and meant to be an example to everyone on the floor. My father says a businessman without a tie is like a referee without a whistle. Surely you have a spare one??"

Donald sighs "You're right it's a bad example, I'm sorry and you're right, I should have a spare one but never thought of that"

"Hah" she grunts grinding her teeth "My father also says a businessman should have a spare tie in close proximity. What if a high-net-worth client walks into the office, what do you do then?"

Her voice was beginning to give Donald a headache as he massaged his forehead with his left thumb and index finger "Your right Gloria, I apologise, I will buy two at lunch and keep one as a spare!"

"On no!!" she retorts "I have spare tie's in my office. I will get some now and select one"

Donald stands up "I'll come with you."

Shaking her head in disgust "You're not leaving this office without a tie!!"
© Copyright 2022 amateur40 (amateur40 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2285714-Proper-Attire