*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2275371-The-Lucky-One
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2275371
Three kidnapped victims have one thing in common. Can one of them figure it out?
Cell A


Michelle Denton awoke in a dank, gloomy cell. How she got there was a total mystery. She just remembered going out, alone, to a carnival on Coney Island. The smell of cotton candy hung in her mouth with a phantasmal, empty presence. It teased her with something she could taste but never indulge. The last thing she remembered was entering a funhouse.

She held a rectangular object, a photograph—in fact yearbook picture—cut out from some yearbook belonging to a different time and place. The photo contained the image of a crater-faced boy donning glasses and unkempt blond hair. Who was this stranger and why was she here?

Cell B


Mallory Blare had a better time piecing the incidences that led her there. Her job partook delivering pharmaceutical orders to customers falling in the 60-75 aged demographic. It was during her routine runs when she noticed a van following her, donning the banner Deatz Floral. The last name seemed familiar. She disregarded her suspicions and parked in front of the Keating residence. Everything from then on turned black.

She awoke to the faint scent of chloroform. An entrance wound from a needle remained on her arm. She was drugged. Both hands were wrapped in electrical tape. The left hand held a red Bic lighter, while the right hand held a Virginia Slims cigarette. Oddly enough, she quit smoking after high school.

Cell C


Meghan Reeves was the first abductee. She attended an opera highlighting the works of German composer George Frideric Handel, alone. It was during the performance of Giulio Cesare In Egitto—a reenactment of Caesar’s encounter with Cleopatra and Ptolemy, Cleopatra’s murderous brother—when she noticed a figure seated upon the eastern balconies. The shadowy figure watched her as if a phantom. Nervous, Meghan excused herself. As she passed the guests along the aisle, she looked back to the balcony. It was empty. The red curtains, however, stirred.

Meghan jogged down empty corridors to the nearest restroom. From nowhere, a cord wrapped around her neck, choking her. She struggled. A hand pressed against her mouth, willing her to gag. She was thought to have been put under, but she wasn’t. Feigning unconsciousness, she heard everything and waited for her throat to heal. When in placed Cell C, she was handed a single glass beaker.

The Voyeur


Monitors flickered, showing cells A – C. In feverish anticipation, a masked voyeur waited for one of the subjects to call his name... How could they not remember the person they pranked and left for dead?

Megahn's mouth moved. She uttered, “Sta-Sta-Stanley Deatz! You bastard! We were just teens!” She smashed a beaker upon the ground.

Satisfied, Stanley pressed buttons A and B. Deathly screams broke through those cells as Mallory and Michele were bathed in sulfuric acid, just as Stanley had been years ago. Their skin and muscles turned to a thick goop that melted off the bones.

Meghan, deemed 'the lucky one', what plans Stanley had in store for her…
© Copyright 2022 Dalimer Corwyn (deathmyrk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2275371-The-Lucky-One