*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2264430-Covenant-Ark
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Fiction · Fantasy · #2264430
A work in progress
The year is 2022 and Mission Control Houston picks up an unauthorized, unfamiliar transmission. "Hello, can anybody hear us? This is Earth ship Covenant Ark. Can anybody read us? Come in please.". "Covenant Ark, this is Mission Control Houston. Please identify yourself and your authorization. We have no record of any shuttle by that name.". "Thank Goy. Houston, how are you transmitting? Last we , you were destroyed by flood thirty years ago.". "Covenant Ark, I assure you we are up and running. Now, state your point of origin and authorization". "houston, we are Covenant Arc launched from global alliance headquarters out of Central Kansas United states. Our authority is direct from alliance president Bethany and St cloud. We launched on March 18th, in the year 2314 ad. We experienced a massive cosmic event and are of course. Houston, what year is it back home?" "Ark, it is July 17th, 2022; almost 300 years in your past. Covenant arc, State your mission, please." "Houston, this is Captain charity Grace adamson. In our home time frame, Earth is dying and likely dead by normal reckoning. What was left of Earth's Best scientist gave the planet 20 years at most to survive. In our time, we are what's left of Earth's population. Pollution and lack of resources, the planet was dying." "Captain adamson, this is lieutenant Beverly Grace USAF, special command. You said the Earth was on the verge of dying?" "Lieutenant, I know this is an unusual request, but please State your full name and immediate family members. Trust me, it's relevant." "Captain, I'll hear you - as this is a very unusual situation. Beverly Michelle grace, wife of Alexander Matthew Agrotera. My parents are Elizabeth Grace and James Allen Adams. (deep breath) Mother of . . . "
"Stop! Stop! I know who you are lieutenant. I'm descended from you, Grandma beverly. Our family has a long and distinguished record. I was determined to be the optimal choice for captain and trained since my early teens. Currently, I don't know if you are my direct past or if your Earth will suffer the fate of mine."
"Captain adamson, the personal conversation can continue once we get you down. For now, let's stick to basics. Are all your systems and instruments functional?"
Various sounds of all buttons and settings going through diagnostic runs. Voices in the background discussing possibilities, both scientific and otherwise. After 5 minutes, the response came back.
", Houston, if everything we are reading is correct then things will be quite different from our history books. Details later - but everything is functional."

After almost 6 hours of gaining coordinates and acquiring special clearances, the captain of Covenant Arc is in special conference with lieutenant Grace in a top security briefing room. By Presidential order, lieutenant Grace has full authority in this case - answerable solely to the president.

"Lieutenant, I don't know what to say. Our history books all say Joseph Biden became president after Donald trump. But they are both unknown are unimportant in this time. Clearly there was some major divergent somewhere."
"Captain, all I can say based on your information is thank the Lord above you are in a different version of reality. We had something similar to your covid virus, but it occurred in 2000 and lasted only 6 months. Aaron McLeod was president and at the first sign this could have become half as serious as covid he issued a nationwide day of prayer. His nephew, James drake, is our current Commander in Chief and is topped only by his uncle. President mcleod, Believe it or not, pulled an Elijah versus bail move and things have been different ever since." She said back and steepled her fingers in deep thought. Captain Adamson sat there and stunned silence for a few minutes.
"Lieutenant, may I have my second in command bring her settlement plan in for when we found a new home? You said something that majorly caught my attention. Believe me, ma'am, I don't think you'll object to it."
"Corporal, call Ms Jacobson in with their book."
The corporal returned a few minutes later, escorting Amber Jacobson carrying against her chest something of the lieutenant thought looked like... nah. Couldn't be that.
"Amber, please show lieutenant Grace our settlement plan. Relax! She's on our side." First officer Amber Bethany Jacobson sat down and opened to a particular page in what proved to be a well used Bible and pulled out a printed map. As it was laid out, the lieutenant looked it over and then read over the highlighted passage in the Bible.
"Captain Adamson, am I correct and my understanding that upon finding out an ideal new home your first settlement was to be laid out like the Israelites camp in the wilderness? Your society must have taken a major turn around at some point. That, or this was the personal decision of Captain and crew."
Commander Jacobson spoke up suddenly, breaking the image of the shy petite girl.
"Lieutenant, I initially proposed the idea to the captain. Most of the primary crew were raised in Christian homes. I am saddened the state as fact that holy Scripture was looked at as a last resort. The planet was too far gone to save and we were the healthiest and most able - as well as most highly qualified for new settlement candidates."
Realizing she had spoken out of turn in the presence of two senior officers, Commander Jacobson turned bright pink and shrunk into a corner with an "Eep!" .
"Well done, Commander. It is indeed a decision to be proud of. Under my command, that would warrant a commendation at the very least.", Lieutenant Grace informed her.
Whispering a quick prayer of thanks, Amber smiled and rejoined the conference with renewed confidence.
"Lieutenant, my grandfather - who was raised by his, a retired Baptist preacher - taught our family the bible. He set out the other theories alongside creation. Then he required coherent essays on why whichever we thought was true and what could be wrong with it. Common sense and logic proved creation. Five pages - 10 if you count front and back. We were taught reading and writing by the bible."
Captain Adamson looked at her 2iC with a new respect. "Amber, I had no idea. I didn't have anywhere near that strict a childhood, just creation made more sense than anything else. Dad was a scientist, and everything he found or saw just proved what he already believed. His older brother, my uncle, was an architect. He saw the universe and the world around us as a massive design. Such a completely simple design proved the existence of a Designer."


To Be Continued.
© Copyright 2022 Lazarus76 (lazarus76 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2264430-Covenant-Ark