*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2263732-Chats
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2263732
Flash Fiction
Chats

“I can’t believe they did that,” said Billy

“Did what Honey?” asked Mom.

“Put up that sign.”

“What sign?” Mom asked, looking around on the street they were traveling down.”

“Back there at the corner there was a sign, a real sign made of metal too!”

“Well, what did it say?”

“It said, One Way!

“Oh, well it’s just a one way street.”

“Phhh! How can a street be one way! It has two ends like every street. It has to! What? You drive down it and disappear? You walk down it and fall in a big hold and end up in Middle Earth or somewhere?”

“Don’t be silly. It’s only one way for cars. Cars can only go one way on it. If they want to go the other way they have to go to the end, turn a corner and find a different street to go the other way.”

“Oh. Why?”

“Usually because the street is too skinny for cars to go both ways and people to be able to park near their houses too, so they just make it just one way to drive on.”

“Oh.”

“You sound disappointed.”

“It would have been cool to have a street cars went down and then just disappeared. But I guess nobody would want to live there.”

“But you might want to give some people directions that included that street, if you didn’t like them very much...” Mom said.

“Mom!

“Oh, sorry. I was just day dreaming.”

“About Mrs. Shultz I bet.”

“How can you be so clueless about one way streets, and so insightful about other things?”

“What does insightful mean?”

“It means, we are stopping at Hoppy Pop for hot fudge sundaes on the way home!”

“Yippee!!”

‘Dodged another bullet there, Mum,’ Mom thought to herself, smiling.
© Copyright 2021 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2263732-Chats