*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2262508-Financial-Empire-part2
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Novel · Adult · #2262508
more or less satirical view of collapsed world
Soon as I entered the house I planned to verbalize my feelings very loud, I was angry, disappointed, maybe there were other minor feelings being hurt as well, but I was focused on two major ones.
- Come, son- she called me from the living room.
She must have heard me.
- Kneel - she said demandingly.
Of course she was praying.
- …please Arcady.
I sighed and knelt beside her. At first I wanted to say a few words with her, out of respect. The words however wouldn’t come out. I managed to remain silent for a minute though. That is all I could do.
- How it is that you are on a board of directors of my current employer… or rather would be employer? - I’ve asked.
- Let us humble in front of the God… - she responded instead of answering my question.
- Mum, not this now - I wouldn’t have said that if I wasn’t angry, but I was - … your God doesn’t exist, it is a figment of your imagination, is your copying mechanism like this church of yours - I finished saying.
We were still quietly kneeling and I was afraid that I’ve offended her. I didn’t want to.
- Partially what you’re saying is true - she said calmly showing no anger - partially… - she hesitated - it’s necessary. I hoped I will explain you that at some point, but you weren’t ready or intelligent enough… I don’t know.
- Well done, mum, you are insulting me, you thinking that I’m stupid….
- No - she said trying to calm me - you just aren’t very perceptive.
I tried to stand up. My mother didn’t allow that. She held my hand in strong, in vice like grip.
- All right - she said with resignation - it isn’t as I imagined it would happen, but it is what is. You are my son and I hope everything will work out at the end. Go to the kitchen and get us some wine, and then we will have a serious talk.
I shrugged and went to the kitchen. Didn’t expect that any wine would help to resolve my current ‘dead problem’. However what could I do? - I thought - I probably will have a lot of time for myself - police investigation into sudden demise of prominent member of BVNY will put breaks on any chances for future jobs… at least for time being. Well, let’s drink to it - I thought with a sarcasm. I took the wine from the fridge and went back to the living room.
We’d sat on the sofa. I pured the wine into the glasses. My mum took a generous sip.
- It’s seems obvious to me now that you are more your father’s son than mine…
I’ve interrupted her. No stories about my father, please - I thought.
- We aren’t going to talk about father, let’s not… it’s happened ten years ago and I think I know everything I need to know. You may talk about him while praying to your God, later - I said, maybe it was a bit too harsh, well, I still felt angry with my mother.
She looked at me and smiled.
- Yes… my God… - she said slowly - and my church of Only Truth. They give me clarity, they….
- Mum… - I’ve tried to stop her, but she lifted her finger warningly and I closed my mouth.
- Maybe at last we have arrived to the point I could tell you certain things.
I settled on the sofa more comfortably. It would be the time when she will talk to me about the past - I thought - and I will allow her, because, maybe, she’ll explain to me how such a fragile person as her got on the board such organization as BVNY. I refocused my mind on my mother again.
- …His demise was my doing to certain degree, of course. He served his purpose, he certainly had elevated my status in the department by being… him, but there it was, his limit. He’s become an obstacle for me and for you… you reaching adulthood with him in the picture didn’t bode well for our futures.
I couldn’t believe it she must have been drunk or delusional. She took another sip of wine and continued.
- The day when tidal wave destroyed the docks I’d encouraged him to go to there to do his job. He took you which wasn’t my plan, but I couldn’t stop him. He could have decided to stay… so I let you both go. I wanted him gone and this natural disaster coming to our shores gave me the opportunity…
My mother looked at me and squeezed my hand.
- I didn’t want you gone, only him. …I don’t exactly recall what he’d said… possibly… ‘bad weather won’t stop me to clear some debts’ or similar nonsense.
I met her eyes.
- I could have drown and you just let him… take me - I said accusingly and tried removing my hand from her grip, but she held my hand tightly.
- You were young adult, not a child, you knew your father, you’ve grown tired of his brutish methods, maybe even bored, believe me I watched you closely. I knew you’ll make reasonable decision not to follow him to the docks… and you did.
She kissed me on my cheek.
- I’m proud of you.
I chuckled.
- And I thought I’m ruthless, even sometimes criminal… - I said jokingly.
She completely lost it. Still the fact that she was on the board of BVNY was incomprehensible to me.
- I’m sorry Arcady. Maybe I should have prepared you, but I thought it was better if you do it by yourself. Our new world is harsh and my guiding hand could make you too soft. It’s my fault, son, I’d been focused too much on myself, attempting to establish… let’s call it meaningful position at the BVNY…
- Well - I said - as far as your story is concerned I’m more confused than when I arrived home trying figure out you being on the board but it doesn’t matter that another thing bothers me more. I might be responsible for a death of senior official of BVNY and nobody saw me to say it otherwise.
- She is alive - explanation came from the old man who stood in the door to the living room.
© Copyright 2021 Status Alive (ink.stain at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2262508-Financial-Empire-part2