*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2262166-Financial-Empire
Rated: 18+ · Novel · Comedy · #2262166
Satirical view of collapsed society
I'm 29 and I'm bad. Some call me ruthless, but that's not it, I'm borderline criminal. My mum says that in this world I have to be like that to survive. She prays to her God to give us strength and begs me to join the Church of Only Truth. Mum says that being ruthless and devoted gives one clarity of vision. I agree to keep her happy. However these things won’t matter in the next step of my life. And none of that should be put in the application for a new job in the optional information about the candidate. Too late, my mum had known better. I came back from the bathroom and saw ‘sent’ icon on the laptop.
- People need to know you, real you, they will appreciate it - she says looking at me and reading on my face lack of conviction.
I could get angry with her, but she is so fragile. I only hope that there will be other jobs available. She clearly doesn’t understand the new world order.
- Come with me to the living room and pray.
I reluctantly go with her, we kneel in the middle of the room and she whispers her prayers. When she finishes I see a lonely tear in her eye, she doesn’t wipe it. I know what is that for. She misses my father. I don’t feel the same.
Ten years ago he went to collect debts in the docks and never came back. He would take me on the jobs, since I’ve been twelve. He would beat, drown, threaten, kick people to get the money for the bank. He was efficient and always got the results. I used to his brutality, fund necessary in his line of work, but he also scared me. Our last trip together happened the same day when the warning came about small tidal wave approaching Very New York island. My father has ignored the warning and took me with him. A half mile from the docks - more or less - I don’t exactly recall - I stopped and said to him that it was stupid to proceed. I expected a punch and got prepared for that. None came. He walked away without a word swinging his bat in left hand. I waited for some reaction and when none had come I concluded that he would give me a lesson at home when he got back. I wasn’t going to give him any opportunity I decided to leave. I grew bored and tired watching him giving people constant beatings. The weather warning was sort of my turning point. I walked back to our car when I heard a roar. I knew what was coming. Didn’t turn my head just run. Soon the water caught my feet, I still run, water raised higher, to my knees and hips and for a while stopped below my waist. Then it started receding and pulling me. It dragged me short distance on the road tearing my clothes and skin. Then water force lessened and left me. I didn’t wait for the second wave to have me swept. I jumped on my feet and was going to run, but my foot slipped on the patch of mud. My body hit the asphalt. There was not time to embrace yourself, bones in my nose crunched, soon the head followed. I woke up later exactly in the same place where I collapsed with pool of dry blood around my head.
Memories - I thought. My laptop chimed. I left my mother still praying and went to check the message. There is no other way to say I was surprised I got the job. Even more when I got video message from Donatellla with three L’s, my boss, requiring a meeting in the afternoon at the bank.
Bank of Very New York has occupied one of few skyscrapers that have survived financial collapse and climate change. Bank’s offices however didn’t start till 40th floor. The floors below had served as living space for bank employees and people who could afford exorbitant rent that BVNY charged. The 42nd floor was empty and next floor was allocated for the director Donatellla Robinsmalll and I’ve become her assistant - financial assets manager. When my outdoor elevator has arrived it open up the door straight to the lounge. I’ve expected to see people, but there was only her - Donatellla.
- Hey Arcady, would you join me for a quick conference upstairs? - she asked
- Right now? I thought we go through my duties and…
- We will, follow me.
So I did. She was a few steps ahead of me. On purpose, I’m sure. Her body swings alluring in her dress.
- Are you watching my ass.
That sort of temporarily distracted me. She has turned around.
- It isn’t meant for you.
There was nothing upstairs, just reinforced concrete walls, some building materials and empty wooden pallets.
- Arcady come closer. Sit on that pallet - she said.
She pulled a packet of thin cigarettes from her bra and lit one.
- So do you like the view… of the city, I mean.
- I can’t see much from the pallet I’m sitting on.
- Ok. No small talk then - she said - Well, I don’t like you mother and her stupid Church of Only Truth.
- What my job has to do with her?! - I’ve asked surprised.
- What?! …of course, you are ignorant, poor you. She is a board member of this very bank, a bit more intelligent than your father was as who was our debt collector. Charming man… - she said sarcastically - He’s made my uncle disabled, I really celebrated when tsunami took him. But back to your living parent, your mother we need to get rid of her if you help me do that you can keep this job.
- I can’t - I said - maybe sometime she is a bit odd, but she still is my mother.
- Really… I can understand that. Then we think about something else.
She’s approached the edge of the floor.
- We find something there - she looked down and turned around to face Arcady, smiled, lost her balance, and fell. Only her shoe remained.
© Copyright 2021 Status Alive (ink.stain at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2262166-Financial-Empire