*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2260816-Worthy-is-as-Worthy-Does-WC-294
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Experience · #2260816
Expectations collide.
Worthy is as Worthy Does


“Oh no! Oh no!” Julie screamed as she realized the pearl in her ring was missing.

Her almost-fiancée, Jeremy, hurried into the living room.

“What’s wrong?”

Sample cans of various shades of blue latex paint sat on the coffee table.

“I was testing samples on the wall—”

“Why in the world are you doing that now? We'll be leaving for Mother’s in less than an hour.”

“I wanted to get started on the project, honey.”

“So, what’s the big tragedy?”

Julie hesitated.

“What can be so bad?”

“The pearl from the ring you gave me fell out.”

Julie had been expecting a diamond engagement ring last week when Jeremy handed her the tiny box. The pearl promise ring stared her in the face instead.

We've been living together for three years, and he gives me a promise ring.

She hated pearls. Old ladies wore pearls.

“That was my mother’s ring!” he snapped. “You search every square inch of this house before we leave,” he added and stomped out of the room.

He stomped back in. “Why in the world were you wearing it while painting?”

Because I hate it!

“I forgot I was wearing it.”

“Something so important, Julie? I expect better of you,” he said, and added, “I thought you were worthy. Maybe not.” On that note, he left the room.

Worthy? Worthy?

Julie had never realized what a jerk he was. Had he been hiding his true colors? Would he ever find her worthy of a diamond engagement ring?

WORTHY? I can’t even…

Julie began searching the living room for the pearl. When she found it, she would have it reset; she would hand the ring back to Jeremy so he could give it to someone more worthy!

© Copyright 2021 jackiesmuse (jackiesmuse at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2260816-Worthy-is-as-Worthy-Does-WC-294