*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2259289-Fores-shorts---Eyes-of-a-Lizard-Ch-4
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: ASR · Chapter · Dark · #2259289
4th Chapter of Rossa's story. This time fighting with doubts, gangs and undead.
Chapter 4:
Cold Calculations and Heated Emotions


Enforcers HQ early evening. Rossa was sitting in the briefing room. She was sitting on a wooden desk. With her 4 other enforcers. It was Jes-ter, Croc and 2 other lizards Substellio’s. Twin brothers, she at least thought. Lenta was facing her “class”. The wall acting like a blackboard showing every clue they gathered. Each suspicious portrait, each estate, everything. The first phase was summing up the case they were working on.
- (…) They were very thorough, - continued Lenta - we just had to wait for the slip. – she slapped the map with her bare hand - It came. After some interrogating from one of the thieves and work of Jes-ter.
- No need to thank. –
interrupted the rattlesnake – Really. Say your thanks’ so I can tell you can stop.
- Back to the subject. We finally pinpoint the meeting of all the thieves including the Master mind. The white one. We learned he is meeting with another crime organization to strike a deal. That is our que for and espionage and attack. We are about to walk toward the meeting place. “The place will be eye catching and hidden behind tradition”.

- Poetic… – commented one of the Substellio – …but what does it mean?
- Don’t interrupt bro –
said the other one. – Chief was getting into that.
After Jester digging up the rest of the map –
she walked on the left and showed the map. It had few shades of brown overlapping on each other. She pointed on the place with 3 squares. – We found the riddle be referring to this place. “Sepulcrum heroisms.” The resting place of fallen heroes. No one was going there paying respect since we burned all the bodies after the Necro rebellion. All is left know are personal belongings, like weapons and clothing. A perfect secluded place for meeting and plotting evil schemes and heists. But the only thing they are going to discuss is how to pay up their way back into society. All 6 of us are going there to deal with them. I can’t take too big of a crew for mobility reasons, and I still need some people here. But I think our group will do just fine. So, during next dawn we are heading out. Remember to gear up, nutrient yourself and pray to your dragon god patron. The trip will take us 4 days including going back without issues. We meet up at the southern gate. Dismissed.


Night before the operation Rossa could not sleep. She was lying on her lounge. A makeshift bed made by Lenta in her apartment. The cause of being restless was the stress. She felt pumped. While rocking in her bed she was thinking about herself. Mostly about her chase and how she barely escaped.
- I could have lose everything. – though Rossa – The one moment, I felt fragile. Something a Hassasin can’t show. Thankfully I quickly recovered, but how. Did I heal myself? But the knee’s usually do not bend like that. That “construct” thing? Uh. – she covered her eyes with her hand’s. The more she thought about it, the more her head hurt. – What if Lenta finally discovers my secret. Will she still like me? Will she hate me? Will she disgust me? Am I good enough for her? – tears started filling her eyes. – I could lose her. Like back then. But I don’t want to. I… I… Love her. Should I say it? Maybe time to say it and my secret. Although she likes mysteries… – she felt drowsiness taking hold of her - … Mystery… to solve her… Wait. Not during operation… operation which… which… - this were her last words before drifting back to sleep.


Dawn broke filling the city with yellow coloured light. Lenta as chief was first at the meeting place, dragging half asleep Rossa with her. The rest were appearing not long after. First sliding in was Jes-Ter. Wearing his standard gear with and addition of a Two-hand wielding sword on his back. Long as his torso. The Handle had 2 silver snakes spinning over each other ending with both facing the blade. Which was long and thin with a serrated side. Walking by his side was the Croc from the debriefing, known as Dire-Def. A little taller than Lenta easily towering the rest of the crew. Green scaled Crocodile with a white underbelly. Fearful posture of pure muscles being barely contained in restrains of his Armor. Some of the belts were straining to conceal the magnitude of his muscles. Rossa was certain that his giant muscle defined tree trunk legs shook the ground once he was close. A mean look. His emerald eyes were focused and quite intense. His weapons of choice were a one-handed hammer. With a flat side on one end and a spike on the other. Each step he took made his biceps bulge. He also wielded a giant shield on his back. It was Oblong shaped with slightly curving inside. When the Croc crouched, he could easily shield himself. It also was patterned with a red dragon, spreading its wing on yellow background. Few moments later the twins appeared. Lean build and all dark blue scales and blue eyes to boot. 4 spikes on their head formed a mohawk. Both of their weapons were 2 one handed swords, gently curving upwards and silver bucklers. Though being twins each of them had their weapons and shields on opposite sides. All of them well armoured in the enforcer get up.
Once gathered they wasted no time and went outside of the embracement walls of Maximerdis. It was a big moment for Rossa. Yes, she mostly spends her time in the forbidden mansion and everything beyond that was big for her, but now she would feel the magnitude of the real open world. This could be overwhelming. They passed without problems, enforcers have special permits to go, and the guard just wanted his shift to end. He did not bother. Once passed she noticed the stables outside with creatures running and looking around. There was also wooden inn next to it, but this was for the Non Substellio’s. Usually for the ones who did not want to enter the city or got here at the time when the gates are closed for the night. There were stables and the endless desert dunes surrounding the city. There was no time for sightseeing as the enforcer group walked toward the stables after the chief
- Now we will take the fynx
- What things? –
asked one of the twins, as the second was facepalming and Jes left out a snicker.
- Fynx – said more cleared and unphased Lenta. – We will use them to pass through the dessert and carry all sort of luggage.
Rossa knew about those mounts. Fynx are labour animals. It is a cross of a head and paws of a cat and torso and hind legs of a camel. Complete with its big lump to store fat to carry out on a dessert harsh environment. Their strong back were also used as labour animals carrying heavy equipment and on fields. Plus, easy to maintain. As though as the Substellio living in the desert. Better than other animals at the stables or in private stables of the higher classes. Each of them packed their things, mounted and after a brief lesson they were ready to go. The twins, Chief and our protagonist had their own Fynx, and Croc and Jester were riding the cart hauled by two of the creatures. They rode off to the dessert.
Rossa was very excited for the journey. Thankfully she had no problems riding the Fynx, although she had a habit of steering him too much on the left. She wanted to soak in the dessert. With each step of the mount, she was getting further than ever before. Yet the excitement was slowly decreasing. The landscape barely changed. As the sun was rising higher only shadows were the changeable thing of the dunes and flat landscape. There were few oases where the peasants were working hard on their fields and only once a merchant caravan was passing by. It started to get boring. To fasten the pace of that she decided to talk. She wanted to talk to Lenta. The thoughts from last night still haunted her, but she decided not to use that topic. Not in “public”. She could not do that, cause Lenta was busy directing the twins on how to use their Fynx. So, she decided to talk with other of her colleagues. She rode even with the cart and started to talk with the Croc.
- Excuse me – the Croc turned his eyes toward Rossa, not changing that fearful expression. – Dire, was it? – the Croc nodded. He seemed nice so she decided to talk more. – I feel like we were not acquainted properly. I am Luna-Venere-Kor and you?
- Dire-Def-Rito.
- Do you like being an enforcer?
- Yes.

For a while they walked with awkward silence interrupted with only steps of the Fynx on the sand.
- Could you elaborate that?
- No… No need.
- Don’t worry –
said Jes-Ter. – He doesn’t know how to small talk. This is how you do it. - The Croc only grunted and picked the steering of the cart. - Well, I’m Jes-Ter. I am the enforcers informant. You already noticed my handiwork here. And you? - Rossa already established a quick story how she met Lenta. With added changes, so he could not check her. - Whole life an enforcer from another city, huh? You do share common interest with our chief. No wonder she picked you as a partner. And you do like it?
- I do. Do you?
- Of course. Thankfully my talent and studies made it easier for me.
- What kind of studies?
- My father was an enforcer informant in the main HQ, very strict and wanted me to take over his position. I noticed that I could find anything while doing other stuff. I managed to find all the files while eating a piece of meat and making 4 kinds of thesis at crime scene. Yep, I know useless talent. Still my father was impressed and got scolded for eating during work.
- Wait, your father was taking you to his work?
- We did not have any money for a caretaker or a slave, so he was taking me with him
- What about your mother?
- You can ask her, she lies there, there, and there –
while saying that he pointed three dunes of the desert
- I am sorry.
- No need. I did not even know her she died after giving birth to 3 eggs. Besides gathering info, I go occasionally into missions like this one. Which we both are focused right? –
he nudged his driver, which he only chuckled. – See easy. Your turn.
Dire story was as exciting as the landscape. Pretty boring his whole linage is in enforcers. He got recognition to wield a shield tremendously. Need protection he will get you covered. “Literally” added Jes.
Next up were the twins. Once got the quick course of riding their mounts. She asked about them.
- Praise be Vivtalis. I am Aurum-Bous, and this is my brother Bellum-Bous. – the second brother waved as a greeting, and pulled his leash, which made his mount to stop.
- Bous? As the life priest Bous?
- The very same.
- Wait you were born in such a high position? Why an enforcer?
- It’s more like a calling. I felt I could do more as a medic enforcer. It is a dangerous job, so I am here help them get back in the fight. Besides even royalty sends their children to lower class. To give some divine help, right? –
Rossa/Luna then remembered her encounter on how fast she healed herself. She asked about if it is possible – Hmmm, well Stressogen and Adrenaline may cause as a pain killer and heal up a bit faster, but still need medical treatment, sometimes this can cause some internal damage or complications. Only fast regenerations as defence mechanism only on our tails that can snap off.
This left her with more questions than answers.
- And your brother story? – while she asked that the said brother catches up to them.
- Well, I am here to keep my brother company and keep his skills sharp.
- Stop lying, you were bored and wanted some action to become a battle medic.
- If we had a war with someone then I would go there, but unfortunately, we have not fought a major war. So better get into action of a war against criminals.
- You are so immature. Don’t you know…
- War is ba~d. I know.
- That kind of attitude can get you hurt or killed
- Trust me when hell break loose, I can handle this
- Yeah, and I am the one to tend to your wounds later.


The journey went without any intermissions. The sun was slowly setting so Lenta called out to put camp. They were halfway through and could easily see the Canyon were the Sepulcrum heroisms was. Lenta order to camp in the Valley to shield themselves from the cold desert winds. They quickly set up the camp with one giant tent and 4 fireplaces surrounding them and warming them. Since they were going up in the morning, they called it a night and went to sleep.
Rossa suddenly woke up in the middle of the night. She needed to take a leak. Once she was up, she noticed Lenta sleeping bag was empty. Maybe she also needed to “water the desert”. Anyway, she walked outside. The night was beautiful. Clear skies showed of the spotlight of the stars. Lighting up the shades of blue and purple. With a Big crescent moon. With a dark orange colour off the sand contrasting the view. What was surprising is that the night was not cold. It had a gentle breeze, making the air feeling cool. While doing her thing. Rossa heard something in the distance. First thought was the wind grazing the sand. The wind stopped and the sound kept going. She was trying to identify it. The heroine decided to investigate. It came from up the valley. The followed sound was getting louder. As she climbs up it sounded strangely harmonical. When she was nearing the edge, she started to recognize
- Are those words?
- Veni ad me, etveniam.
- Who is… Lenta? The words: “…Come to me?”
- Si sanari Potero per Illud? - She was singing and waving her hands in a chaotic matter. While walking on side to side. Rossa was trying to translate the words. (“Will I get through it all?”) -Vivtalis, mihi fidem sevare crea in me, Cursus manans Cor. – (“Vivtalis, come and save me. Create an Unwavering heart). She wasn’t lying, her voice was beautiful. Rossa stood there mesmerised by the voice It was beckoning to come and sit. Lenta’s black scales and her eyes perfectly fit in the starry night. - Cor Aurol… - Then unexpected happen Lenta turned 180 degrees noticed Rossa and cut her performance. The breeze added the awkward factor. Red colour flushed her cheeks and her hood. – How long were you standing there?
- Long enough.
- This is so embarrassing. –
she turned her back.
- That was beautiful. – said Rossa, coming closer – What was it?
- A…Prayer.
- Prayer? With pre-ancient words it sounded like you were summoning someone.
- Maybe I was. –
Rossa rose an eyebrow – They say that when you are in big doubt and ready for anything a mentor in form of a dragon god. Will appear and guide in exchange of Knowledge. You know a lot is happening lately. This investigation, operation… you.
- Me?
- No! I mean, yes. I mean. –
she grunted – My heart is in doubt. I feel like I’m not contributing enough. Yes, I make this file on you and all. Am I doing it right? Usually, I take control as the dominant one, contribute to relationship. But seeing how you helped me to light up my passion, fast heal yourself to catch up during the chase. Am I good enough for you? Can this work? Am I not rushing too much – she sat on the sand like got exhausted of the doubt she was carrying?
Rossa was shocked with that revelation and even she sat down on the cold desert sands. She had the same doubts as her. This would be a perfect opportunity to confess her feelings. But then again Lenta just said she wanted to be the dominant one in a relationship. If you can call this awkward thing the two of them have. She will feel inferior if she says it. – Maybe I should confess my origins at least to feel even. But what if I blow it. – Lenta probably noticed her worried face while she was thinking.
- No. You know what. Just no. – she stood up and dust of the sand for her booty. – Now it’s no time for doubts and low morale. Let’s get through the operation first then we can discuss it. We need to focus on mission. For now, let’s go. It is getting cold.
- She was right –
thought Rossa and followed her back.
-By the way. If you tell that to anyone. I’ll kill you.


The enforcers woke up at dawn. And quickly packed up their camp. The cliffs they were heading were getting bigger with each step. Soon they were big enough to climb them. They hid fynxes further ahead. They climbed up, for better recon location. They had to knock out guards that were observing the hights, so they could do it.
Sepulcrum heroisms also known as the Tomb of Heroes. It was a plain surrounded by 3 steep canyons. Each of the entrance between Canyons (now heavily guarded). The tombs were placed underground and partly carved in the biggest rock. The remnants of the temple were also present on the surface. Yellow rumble here and there, column supporting the sky and partly damaged statues of the dragon Gods, which the Substellio descended.
- Truly an outstanding view – commented Rossa scouting the area.
- Too bad the view is littered with goons – added Jes.
Many armoured Substellio were patrolling the area and some of them were exchanging crates between them. Once side was unloading a carriage that was parked here. Crates set in a row and change positions between two sides. Each of the side had its own supervisor checking if the change goes as planned.
- I don’t get it – said Aurum – Why would the white one pays some goons, only to get an exchange later?
- It is a ruse –
answered Rossa – They set up a meeting paid the goons to make their boss come to the meeting and exchange only to betray her later. Where is the honour here?
- In our mystery novels it seems –
answered to that question Lenta. – Ok, let’s go over the plan again. Operation Boa A. We enter the catacombs there. Once we enter, we move around the compound encircling them and taking them down. Remember KO them. Once that done, we squeeze them to surrender. We capture the White one. That hopefully will force the rest to surrender. Then the only problem we must worry about is to transport them back.
- Yay, the happy scenario. –
sarcastically commented Jes.
- If in any order we get spotted or get in danger of any way, we move to Plan Boa B. We have to say that we are the enforcers, and they need to give up. If they value our status they should submit, if that don’t work, we take down with force and we have the right to kill in self-defence. And move with the aggressive way. Got it? – everyone nodded – Move out.
They sneaked around near the entrance. Jes dropped down first, he was the only one who can sneak in by crawling near the ground. Pluses of being a Naga Substellio. They waited for the signal. A rattle sound gave them confirmation to get in. The interior mirrored the exterior. Just some are brown, red rocks with carved in tombs. Substellio even during burials were not too festive. The only belongings inside were personal belongings like weapons or trinkets. Once they got inside the first room, they quickly and quietly knocked out each of the guards before proceeding downward. The next room was bit trickier. This one had tombs on both sides on a balcony. Of course, each of the sides and the bottom was filled with guards. You don’t change a winning tactic. They went to the left balcony first. They managed to make a synchronize take down. Everything went smoothly, until one of the guards on the bottom decided to walk upstairs. Aurum-Bous hastily moved toward him and put a sleep spell. Once she said the words he sighted. Then gasped once the goon fell of the ledge. If the thud does not alert everyone the Hiss from downstairs did.
- Intruder alert!
Well hell broke loose time for plan B. Lenta came out and shouted – In the name of Law Enforcers of Maximerdis we demand your immediate sur… – she got answer in shape of arrows going her way, she quickly dodged them.
- They did not read the happy scenario – said Jes. Lenta only gave him an angry look, while he prepped his crossbow.
- Ok we split up. First group the diversion me, Dire and Bos twins we head down and deal with them and getting their attention. In the meantime, Rossa and Jes-Ter get the ones on the other side of Balcony. – as they nodded a group of Substellio were climbing up their position.
The path was blocked, but not for long. A roaring thunder that was Dire-Def with his shield. Pushed them off the stairs. They moved into their designated position. While Lenta’s group were beating lower guards Rossa and Jes sneaked to the opposite side of the balcony. There were 4 Substellio, deeply focused making a cover fire. Jes slithered forward. Rossa was surprised by the nimble movements of the Naga. One second, he was on the ground, on the second he quickly wrapped his whole body over his opponent immobilizing him completely and crushing every bone. Despite the Self-defence protocol, he tried to keep the casualties low. Well, Rossa was the opposite she grabbed the Substellio from behind. Broke the side of the leg, so he could kneel on the ground and then a quick snap of the neck. 2 other goons noticed the attack and shifted their targets. One of them was charging at Rossa with a high stance of the swards. Ready to slash from above. Rossa quickly crossed her daggers and blocked the upcoming charge. Then she lifted her blades with the sword and met her eyes with the goon which was struggling. She backed up and did a headbutt. He stumbled few steps back hissing and closing his bleeding nose. Rossa used that moment to come closer and using her blades like big scissors, she cut his neck. Blood spilled all over from the neck and her blades. A gurgle cough was the last thing her opponent did. The 4th guard got beheaded by the giant Jes-Ter’s sword. Showing that he can kill if he must. With the threat gone, Lenta’s team eliminated the rest with no resistance. They had to keep pushing. They moved to the next room. This room was dimly lid. With only torches near the entrance. It was hard to tell if anyone was in there. Suddenly a loud bang erupted, then a roar of pain. Dire quickly embedded his shield to the ground near the entrance. He kneeled and grabbed his shoulder, growling. Aurum quickly moved toward. The shield was big enough to cover them from constant banging of arrows and whatever hit Dire.
- Let me look. Slowly uncover it. – asked Aurum, the growling intensified – Thank gods for the Crocs scales. Metal object? Magic? Thankfully it did not pass through. It will hurt but we’ll have to remove it.
They were at a terrible spot. They got pinned down, occasionally bang sound with accompaniment of hitting a shield. Plus, their fight alerted the gang outside. They were a hot metal place between hammer and anvil. Rossa had an idea, but it could put her in a bad position. She would be compromised. She quickly changed her mind about using this. She already was it that kind of situation. For her colleagues. For her.
- Lenta. I got an idea. I’ll get in there and strike from the back.
- You’re Crazy, they’ll shred you once they see you.
- Remember the secret I discovered last night?
- Now it not…

She turned invisible in front of her. Lenta looked scared and shocked. Rossa came closer to her ear and whispered – Now we are even. Be ready for the signal – she then came closer to her cheek, kissed it, and dashed toward the room. She ignored orders or pleads form Lenta and jumped over the shield. Once she entered, she noticed how big of a threat they were facing. Once her eyes adjusted, she noticed the number of goons, were 4 times bigger than their forcers. Each of them was aiming at the entrance with bows and crossbows, ready to shoot. They were wearing pauldrons and chest armour, probably salvaged or stole from other races.
This cavern was way bigger than the last one. Once again carved cave full of tombs on the sides. Dim light was shining enough for the goons to see and less enough for the team to be concealed. In front was the next entrance and above it a Balcony. She got startled. From the balcony a flash and the bang went again. She had to investigate that. She saw peculiar weapons wielded by the 4 shooters. They looked like wooden sticks with 4 metal pipes attached to it. She recognized this weapon. Learned about them during foreign power lessons led by her mother. This weapon was designed by dwarfs, a substitute to magic, which did not require using energy. So, the ruse was not the only reason for the meeting. The white one wanted to kill the leader take control of the men and get the weapons. Admiring the cunning tactic was not the best time. She needed to take down the guards. She noticed that one of them was covering fire. Probably to keep her companions pinned down. She had to take them carefully. She noticed that each of the gun limit was 4 shots before reloading new chunks of metal to it. She formulated a plan, double check and decided to execute it. She crept to the closest of the guards and grabbed him. Rossa immobilized the goon by grabbing his shoulder and locking his neck with her left arm. She used her tail to tight the grip around his ankles with his tail. And her free hand she grabbed the arm with the gun steering it. Of course, the goon was struggling, but she easily overpowered him with her muscles. She recloaked herself while doing so. As planned. She used her newly acquired gun and shoot the Substellio standing next to him. Before he could see what was going on she shot point blank. A bloody hole appeared on the forehead of the lizard, forcing him to drop dead. The third guard noticed the commotion and started aiming at Rossa. He was hesitant, after all Rossa had the advantage of the hostage. She used that to shoot another time. She had problems with that because she missed the head and hit the hand. The firearm fell. The goon hissed of pain and saw bloody mush instead of his fingers. Rossa had difficulties cause the hostage was still resisting. Another shot. This time it hit the torso, of the Substellio. Causing to fall over clinging his chest. The fourth one was ready to shoot Rossa, but the gun clicked. He did not count the shoots. While the Substellio was reloading his gun. By breaking it at the back and loading the metal. Rossa pushed her hostage right at the shooter to make him. Interrupting his action. Adding to that she shoots her hostage, she missed, so she corrected it with bolt of crossbow. Hitting the and adding more dead weight on the fourth shooter. She dashed toward them and threw them of the ledge. She knew once she will be spotted by others, thankfully she heard:
- Flamma sphera! – Once that word was casted by Lenta, Hell was about to break loose. As expected, it did. Many Substellio were either dead from the blast or still burning screaming and hissing. Those who got “lucky” focused their weapons on the enforcer group. Lenta was waving her axe at all sides, at one point she even tripped on of the guards on the back, dragged him and pinned him down. Dire was mashing heads with his hammer or shield. Bous twins were flanking the group while doing their death dance. Shielding each other and stabbing others. Jes was dodging arrows and slashing the guards and stabbing even 3 guards in one swoop. Rossa decided to finish the flanking move on their rear. She jumped down on one of the guards. Stabbing his head. She then throwed herself slashing another one’s neck. Keeping the element of surprise and the momentum she moved to another one. While he was aiming his bow at Dire open right flank. She cut his chord. Before he knew what happened to his bow he got backstabbed. She swept to the centre, which made her a target. 3 Substellio crossed path. Ready with dagger and swords. Rossa knew a trick to get out of that difficult spot. She started to spin her daggers making a constant attack. Parrying the swords from her opponents. The Substellio were more confused with each cling sound of their weapons. Trying to find an opening. Once she deflects all of them in one swoop, she twirled and kicked the goon that was in front of her. The second got shot with the crossbow and third slashed by Lenta. With the goons out of the way. She finished the kicked one with a quick stab in the heart. Ending the fight. There was no time for celebration because a new welcome committee approached. With 2 massive Crocs. Both were giant. Visible muscles on their bodies ripped and bulge as they walked. One was male and the other was a female Croc. Wearing similar loincloth with a bra covering her Double D sized breasts for the female. The male was red and the Female purple. Each of them was having 2 canon sized firearms, big crossbows on their belts and spear sized bolts on their backs. And between them dressed in white. The one. The one they were looking for. All the enforcer’s weapons were drown.
- In the name of Maximerdis… - started Lenta - … I demand your surrender!
- I never can’t finish a meeting without interruptions, can I. – The white one slowly rises his hands. Sleeves slowly exposed his bandaged hands.
- Was He/she surrendering? – though Rossa still having her crossbow ready. The white one was whispering something. The echo added the feeling of dread and confusion. Yet she identifies one of the words. A word that made her scales to shake. Lentum. The pre-ancient word of. Death. As in death magic – It’s casting a spell! Death magic! – she yelled and before anyone could even comprehend in what dangerous situation they are. The air vibrated. A shock of electricity and green smoke emerged and got sucked by the corpses. For a while a fear and silence filled the cavern. Then an audible crack filled the atmosphere. One of the corpses lifted itself up. More corpses were rising. Even the scorched ones. Cracking burned bones and oozing a mix of blood and slime. Each of them raising in unnatural and twisted way. Cracking bones, Hissing, and gurgling blood from their cuts.
- Ok – commented Jes – This is going to be my nightmare for the next weeks.
If not getting surrounded once again by revenant goons was not bad enough. Lenta was trying to take down the white one to stop the spell, yet it was blocked by one of the Croc bodyguards. The thud, filled by several others added to the soundtrack. The Coffins were opening, from the graves bony hand came up. Rising it the rest of the rotting husks with visible bones on the outside lift themselves up
- NO! That is impossible! All the bodies should have been burned! – yelled Bellum Bous.
- Guess they forgot. - replied Jes
- Not the time Jes! – hushed Lenta. Everyone was on edge.
To top all that this live Horror was being watched by the one who caused the spell. The once flanking units were being outflanked. Once the Zombie goon hissed at Jes, he casually cut his head with his sword. Once the head fell off, the corpse landed on fours. They had the way to finish their own Necro rebellion. The fight they put on was challenging. Cause the Resurrected goons fought as they did once they lived. They were deflecting, parrying, and striking hard. Rossa had a hard time finding a weak spot. Mostly her kills were slices in the throat and shots in the head. She tried something different during a parry, she disappeared, reappeared behind him, and stabbed him in the heart and slashing the neck with her other dagger. That caused losing the head that was held only by its spine. Which fell on the ground. It worked. She did the same thing again another time by lifting a crossbow near the jaw and shooting through. That was not enough. She noticed that the Substellio she shot was standing up yet again. The tide changes. The fallen corpses, which landed on the ground were not dead. Deader. They were on the ground looking for their head to attach them back on its place and continue fighting.
- At this rate, were run out of strength, before they run of numbers! – commented Aurum-Bous.
Somehow, she also noticed that Dire Def had an easier way with dealing with them. He was shoving them off and smashing their heads. Lenta quickly noticed and informed.
- Mutilate them! Cut them so they can’t get up – order mentally Lenta. She then casted another fire wall and few fireballs to finish this funeral with the burning.
With that it was easier. Rossa had a system worked a while back with Hit-Har. She ran toward one of the goons and shoved them on the ground. Once down she walked reload her crossbow and shot the hand, second hand and the head. Pinning them down. They managed to break through to the other wave of the Veteran Revenants. They were more capable fighters. Giving a hard time to end them. Hollow fleshed warriors seemed to be Hassasin. Managing to deflect all the attacks. Rossa was more on the defensive side. Parrying with some difficulties.
- Great like dealing with, those guards were a hassle, killing them again and… wait – Rossa just remembered something. She was fighting those goons again, which means – Oh no. – she looked up, while deflecting attacks from her zombie opponent. The roof goons with firearms were in shooting position. All four of them were aiming at fighting next to her Lenta. – No! – she quickly dives toward Lenta. She jumped ignoring the slash attack from one of the Husks. Four bangs rang out. One shot hit Rossa’s graves, deflected, the second hit her arm, 2 others pierced through her Armor on the back. The stress, pain, exhaustion piled up into a mass. An emotionless mass. The racket of the fights, become just white noise. And all of that was the white one’s fault, still watching behind his undead corps and 2 Crocs. Her target was clear. She ignored the pain and the rest. Only one thing mattered. Take down that White breed son of a whore. Once the zombies were coming toward her readying a slashing attack from above, she punched them out of the way. Moving forward. Next Hollowed eyed opponent was equipped with a blade gauntlet. The stance somehow clicked in Rossa, she knew that stance and the move, you can provide it. She waited for the move. The undead made a punch with the blade out. She dodged to the left lowering her stance and lifting her arm. When the fist was below her arm, she clenched her arm trapping the hand under her armpit. Struggling to take it down the zombie managed to rip his hand out of the gauntlet leaving with bare bone fingers. Rossa without any concern put her hand onto the gauntlet grabbed his arm and cut it off. She quickly dashed grabbing his other hand, banding backwords breaking it. Ten she just shot him in the back to make sure. She was advancing forward. Another was ready for a slash through her waist she ducked, stabbed his feet with her daggers and slide between his legs. Another one with a bow, she just moved forward, kicked him in the shin breaking it, forcing him to collapse, once falling she readied the gauntlet and stabbed the falling aggressor. The blade pierced the body. She slashed it upwards cutting the halved torso. That was the last obstacle from the dead encirclement. Now the Final obstacle. That was just for Rossa a mere annoyance. She ran toward him, The White one pointed the goons up and then ran. The Crocs fired up. Two huge explosions erupted. For Rossa those were just deaf booms. She was on a chase. Which was rudely interrupted by one of the Crocks bashing her on the side with the cannon. She flew to the wall. She felt the hit. Yet no pain. There was no time for it, she needs to get him. She noticed her arm was swinging, she quickly reattached the joints and stretched her back. She ran toward the huge obstacles. The Female that hit her, readied the giant crossbow. The spear sized bolt flew and hit Rossa in the shoulder. She got staggered a bit. Looked at the spear. Which pierced her arm. She grabbed it and pulled it out. And continued her run. The female quickly reloaded and fired the second shot. Rossa stopped and grabbed the spear mid-air (!). With two spears ready she ran to the shooter. Avoiding falling rocks. The female was stunned. In the heat of the moment, she clenched her giant fist and decided to pound the enforcer. Rossa stopped making her hit the ground jumped on her hands and ran toward her face. Once near her face she gripped the spears by the end and shoved both through the eyes. Gushes of blood poured from the wounds. Scream which was the white noise for her echoed. She then punched the end of the spears with her palms for further penetration, they went inside like butter, making the colossus fall. She jumped out and was ready to take out the second one which was unnecessary. He was lying on the ground slashed without legs and stabbed by Lenta’s axe. Rossa then turned toward the exit where her target went. The she got tackled to the ground. That thud was so powerful it snaped her out of her “mode”. The one who tackled her was Lenta
- What?
- I should be asking that. You could get crushed and what was that? Never mind –
Lenta needed to contact her team
Rossa had time to gather her thoughts. She did that thing again. Ignoring everything. This time however, she let that happen. She wanted that and revelled in it. Yet it was dangerous. The Crock goons were shooting up to bury the rest of them by the roof or to separate the enforcer from him. The rocks were high, but still manageable to pass by climbing up. Lenta probably fallowed her while she was cutting her way.
- How is the squad? – asked Rossa
- Not that bad – replied Lenta – Once they eliminate the undead, they can re-join us. Come, we still have a happy ending script to write.
With that said they dashed deeper into the white one’s den.
Surprisingly it was easy. Most of the road were corridors leading to thankfully still closed catacombs. Soon they manged to see glimpse of the white robes in the dim light of Lenta’s fire. Rossa tried to get a clear shot. Before she could aim either she missed or the white one was turning to another corridor. Heading deeper and deeper not losing him for a second. Finally, he reached a dead end. Lenta and Rossa satisfied aimed their crossbows.
- We’ve got you. Surrender now and order your troops to stop.
- You’ve got nothing –
answered the White one with a deep voice, he drew a knife from his waist and swiftly sliced his throat. Gurgling and splashing blood stained his pure white robes. He collapsed on his knees and then dead on the ground. They kneeled before him and checked him. In that moment they heard a familiar voice from behind
- Nice job chief enforcer. – they turned to see the white one. Rossa and Lenta were shocked there were two of them? – But I’m afraid that you’re trail got cold. Close it! – Rossa in anger fired the bolt. She hit, but the arrow went through not leaving a single mark. Besides a hole in the robes. Soon after the cavern closed. Leaving them in darkness.
- Breed! – cursed Lenta – It was a decoy. Should have known. Like in Nagata Kristi.
- What did he mean about a cold trail? – Rossa did not notice that earlier, but it got cooler. Like suddenly it was night-time. Which was odd it was probably afternoon at this point. Sooner she realised why that was. Lenta lighted the cavern they were in. It was filled with ice blocks. They made a refrigerator. The white one though of everything. Knew about their attack. Made them exhausted, leading them here to freeze to death.
Cold was very dangerous for the Substellio. Lizards are cold-blooded. The cant generate heat, that is why they like the desert climates. If the temperature lowers below 0 Celsius. It can cause devastating effects. Their veins don’t shrink only slow the flow of blood to try and keep the warm in the organs. Slowing the metabolism don. Causing them to feel tired. Numb feeling getting a cold of their bodies until the blood literally freezes them from inside out. The organs without the blood and oxygen start to shut down. And the Substellio freezes to death.
Rossa was not going to die here. This tomb won’t be hers. Not like that! She moved to the closed door and tried to use magic to get out. She could not. The Exit was blocked by a metal ore. She tried to dig a way out with no avail. The whole room was filled with metal. It was perfect trap. Lenta tried to keep calm and keep the light on. But all the fight started to drain her energy. She started to pant. The magic drained all her energy leaving her stamina to suffer. Rossa had to stop her, or she would freeze faster by that.
- Stop that. Or you’ll make it worse for yourself.
- I can’t just stop it’s the only heat source.

The light started to flicker.
- We need to set a fire… Bolts. Let’s use the bolts.
They gathered 5 of them in total. Not enough but maybe for a while. It was difficult to light them up. The bolts were small and mostly out of metal. It burned out fast.
She kept her to move. She felt numbness was filling her body.
- Come on move – she insisted – back and forth. Don’t worry they will come. – she tried to convince herself, she knew they were many corridors leading here and probably the exit looked like a wall from outside. – We must keep moving. – she added a yawn at the end.
- Luna. Listen. – Said Lenta before yawning.
- Yes talk. Keep the flow of oxygen.
- Listen… –
she stopped, and fell on her knee
- Don’t kneel.
- Luna –
said Lenta huffing – since we are here and need to tell you something. Something that…
- Don’t talk like that. We will get out and then we will talk.
- I need to tell you. I could lose you. And not have the chance. I want to thank you. Did not want to rush it but I want it now. My love.
- Why…?
- Thank you for bringing back my passion back. You made me remember what joy was in my work. The happiness I missed. Now I am sure about my emotions. To you. I just want. To say…
- Please –
said Luna, she kneeled to her – I should be thankful. You gave me a purpose in life. New alternative. I should be the one saying it sooner, despite who I am… I love you…
- Veni ad me, etveniam. (Hope come to me)
Si sanari Poter Illus. (I will get through it all)
Vivtalis, mihi fidem crea in me. (Vivtalis, please Save us, and create in me)
Cursus menans Cor. (and unwavering racing heart)
Spes et invenient me. (Hope it is in her)
Animus constaner Ortithur (The mind constantly springing up)
Ego per Omnia (Courage, in everything)
Vivtalis quaeso serva me et fac in me. (Vivtalis please keep us alive)
Indibita affactu racin corde et amore. (Infused with affectionate racing heart).


Those were the last words she heard embracing her love. Yes, she declared her love, her care numerous times. Now she wanted to be here. With her. Forever. She felt how her eyes were shutting down, fading out from the room. Soon numbness filled her body and death cold embraced them.

………
She opened her eyes again, another light poured in the cave.
- Fou… em – fading voice echoed in her head
- …full. Tech…. cly


Suddenly she opened her eyes. Bad idea. The light was orange blinded. She felt her limbs were sore.
- You’re awake good – said Bellum-Bos. Rossa tried to lift herself up. – No. Don’t move. You need to warm up. – Rossa was lying on the sand outside the tombs in the valley. – Thank the gods we found you in time a little bit more and this would be your lasting place
- Wow that was dark. Even for my standards –
Grumbled Jes.
- Where is Lenta? – asked Rossa
- On you your left. Don’t lift yourself and turn your head
She did it and saw her. Her muzzle was smiling to her.
- How long were you there?
- Long enough. Still, I manage to be the dominant. I love you, Luna.
- And I Love you too.

Maybe the operation was a failure, but they did manage to get a happy scenario.

To be continued… In chapter 5
Recovery and Honesty

Made by Zielnik aka DragonKnight.
Thank you :D
© Copyright 2021 Equestor (equestor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2259289-Fores-shorts---Eyes-of-a-Lizard-Ch-4