*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2253352-Girl-At-The-Bar
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: ASR · Fiction · Romance/Love · #2253352
A husband that feels neglected find his way through a chance encounter with a female.
This story is not complete and is a rough draft. I am posting the story as I go. I will append additional story as it progresses and add any changes as well. If anyone would care to take the time to comment and let me know they think of what is here so far, it would be greatly appreciated. Hope you enjoy the story!

***********************************************************************

Chris stood outside Shakey's Dive staring at the door. He didn't know what he was doing or what he was planning on doing when he went inside. Was he really going to pick up, or at least try to pick up, a woman? He was a married man, this was crazy. What was he thinking? Why did he even stop here tonight? His wife was gone for a girl's weekend getaway. Did he really want to throw away 25+ years of marriage?

While standing on the sidewalk outside of the bar Chris started to think about everything going on in his life and marriage. He loved his wife very much. He would do anything for her including giving up his own life for hers if the need were to ever arise. He wouldn't even need to think twice about dying for her. Could he say the same about her though? No, no he couldn't say that about her. He questioned her feelings toward him and any love that she claimed to have for him. He wasn't sure about anything anymore.

A couple, who was obviously inebriated, walked out the bar, arm in arm to steady each other. They stopped for a moment, embraced, and had a passionate kiss. Breaking the kiss, they laughed and smiled at each other before continuing on their way. Chris tried hard to think about when the last time he kissed his wife, let alone passionately. He couldn't remember. He couldn't even remember the last time his wife had kissed him, passionately or otherwise. Had she ever actually kissed him? Maybe while they dated, she had kissed him, maybe not. All the kisses were initiated by him. Shit. Why had he thought about that right this moment?

Chris watched the couple disappear down the sidewalk and around the corner. He wondered what else was out there and if the grass really was greener on the other side. Another woman, a different relationship, another shot at life.

A patron walked out of the bar to have a cigarette and held the door open for him. Chris took his queue and walked through the door into the dim lights and loud noise. He looked around the bar not sure what he was doing. When was the last time he had even been in a bar? Had he ever taken his wife to a bar while they were dating? Not since they had been married. He started to get the feeling as if his wife knew he was here and felt guilty for betraying her. Although he hadn't actually done anything, not yet anyways. Is this what his life had become? Accepting the anger from his wife for things he hadn't done and the things she thought he might do. This was crazy.

Chris saw someone get up and pay their tab. He started moving towards the now vacant seat at the bar. He greeted the bartender, ordered a beer, and sat down on the battered barstool. Taking a sip of his beer as he looked around the room. The room wasn't very big. Just big enough to hold about ten tables that seated four people comfortably. The bar ran around the room in an L-shape. Doubt started to set in him again.

There were quite a few people in the bar tonight. Friday nights at Shakey's Dive appeared to be a happening place. It looked like many of the people in the bar were couples. Some were on dates; others were with friends and other couples. Nobody had looked in direction since he walked through the door. He was feeling a bit overwhelmed and alone.

Chris drank his beer and ordered another glass. While he waited for the bartender he stared down at his coaster. He started to think about his wife and what she was doing this weekend. He played out in his mind her return home after an entire weekend away from him. The reunion scene he pictured was romanticized. He pictured her coming home and giving him a big, long, kiss while wrapping her arms around his neck from missing him so much. Maybe they would make it up the stairs to their bedroom or maybe they would just use the couch and make glorious love. Then the bartender set a beer down in front of him snapping him back into reality. Of course, that wouldn't be what happened. She would come home, maybe give him a peck on the cheek, start putting her stuff away, and tell him all about the weekend she had. He would suggest having sex. Maybe she would get angry, or maybe she just outright rejects him and continue with her stories. There was a small, very small, chance she would agree, and they would make love. It was much more likely that he would end up beating off after she fell asleep.

The beer sat in front of him untouched for several minutes. Chris sat starting off into nothing, not present, but not gone. Somewhere between the living and the dead. He was about to pay off his tab, call it a night, and head home when he heard a soft voice behind him.

"You look like someone who needs some company."

Chris turned around and saw an attractive woman standing behind him holding a cocktail. He watched her take a sip from a straw, saw her looking right into his eyes. It was like she was looking inside him, seeing him completely. He couldn't explain the feeling that gripped him. It felt like he was exposed, but only to her. He felt an instant connection with her, and he didn't even know who she was, or even her name.

"Uh, what?", Chris stammered. Not sure exactly what to say or what she was implying he didn't want to over play his hand.

"Well, I've been watching you since you walked in tonight. It looks like someone kicked your puppy or stole your lunch money."

"Ah, that, well, yeah I guess so," Chris replied.

"Quite the wordsmith, aren't you?"

"You just surprised me is all. Would you care to join me?" Chris asked.

"I wouldn't have walked all the way over here if I didn't."

Chris looked at the seats next to him on both sides. Both seats were occupied. Not sure what to do he felt a panic of embarrassment rising in his chest.

The woman noticed Chris was wanting to ask her to join him, but unable to figure out how, or where. She decided to help him out. "I have a table across the room. My friend is holding it for me, but she was getting ready to leave. We can sit there if you would like."

"That would work just fine," Chris said.

************************************************************

Chris watched the woman's friend say goodbye and walk out the door. He had the feeling the woman had called an audible on her friend. He was not part of their plan tonight, but he guessed that plans changed. He was ok with that, wasn't he?

Now that her friend was gone Chris gave her a good look. She looked to be about forty to forty-five years old, around his same age. Her hair was a light brown with some lighter highlights just past shoulder length. She seemed fit for her age. She stood a few inches shorter than himself. If he had to guess she was about 5'4 give or take a couple inches. Her shirt was a short sleeve, low cut, and form fitting, but still modest. She wore a print skirt than rested just above her knees. Nothing that was too flashy or revealing, but enough to look nice for a night out on the town. While he was busy processing what she looked like a light bulb went on in his head.

"It just dawned on me that I don't know your name," Chris said.

"Well, I don't know your name either. I don't volunteer my name to just anyone you know."

"I guess we will see if I'm worthy enough of learning your name. For the time being let me introduce myself, I'm Chris."

"Hello Chris, pleasure to meet you," the woman said with a sly smile. "So, what brought you in here tonight?"

"Wow, right to it then," Chris said grinning. "I honestly don't know what brought me here tonight. I decided to stop in on a whim. I bought a couple beers, met you, and now I'm sitting here at the table. Maybe it was kismet?"

"Kismet, huh? It maybe, I wasn't even supposed to be here tonight."

"Your friend didn't just happen to be leaving when you met me, was she? Why did you come over to talk to me?"

"No, she is actually the one who asked me to join her here tonight. Another friend cancelled on her and she asked me if I wanted to get a few drinks with her. Here I am, with you. As to why I decided to come over and talk to you, I don't have an answer. There was something about you as I watched you at the bar. I cannot explain the feeling, but I felt like I just had to go and meet you. As you said, kismet."

"Kismet," Chris agreed.

The woman sat staring at Chris not saying a word. After a minute, maybe two, her lips curved in a smile as if she had reached some sort of decision.

"Let's end the suspense, shall we? My name is Maria."

"A beautiful name for a beautiful woman. Hello, Maria, nice to officially meet you," Chris said. "Looks like your drink is empty, Maria, can I offer to buy you another?

"I'll take a Long Island Iced Tea, Chris, please and thank you," Maria told him in a mocking tone.

"Coming right up," Chris said laughing as he went to buy the drinks.

Chris was lost in thought while he waited for his drink order. Maria seemed nice and very attractive, but what was she doing with him? Hell, what was he doing with her? He, a married man, was flirting with another woman in a bar while his wife was away on a trip. What sort of man did that make him? What kind of husband would do that to his wife?

When the drink order was finished Chris headed back to the table. He could see Maria watching him from across the room. Something in her eyes told him there was something more going on here than just a little friendly flirting. Did he want to head down that road or take the offramp while he still had a chance?

Chris sat down at the table and handed Maria her drink. She accepted politely and sipped gently. They talked about nothing important. One drink led to another, and yet another. Hours passed, but seemed like minutes to Chris. He hadn't had a pleasurable conversation with another woman in years.

The customers in the bar had thinned at the late hour. Chris asked Maria if she wanted another drink. He had no where to be and was content in spending as much time as he could with her.

"No, I don't think I should have anymore drinks here tonight," Maria said.

Panicked, Chris asked, "Are you done for tonight? Heading home?"

Maria tilted her head and looked at Chris for a moment, deciding her next move. She swirled her glass of ice and sipped the melted ice. She couldn't put her finger on what she felt at that moment, but decided to go with the flow. She had made up her mind.

"I didn't say I am done for the night. I don't think I should have any more drinks... here," Maria said with a sly smile. "Why don't we go have drinks someplace else?"

"What did you have in mind?"

"How about we go back to my place?" Maria ventured.

Thoughts raced across Chris's mind of all the possible outcomes if he went home with her. He weighed his options and kept coming up empty. For every action, there is a reaction. Which reactions would he receive?

Did Chris want to be married still? That was the number one question that needed to be answered. Did he love his wife?

Love had degrees of sentiment and emotion. Different ends of the spectrum, but both could be called love. Where did he fall on this spectrum of love? Can the needle on the spectrum be moved?

Is love relative? If so, relative to what? Relative to situations, or events? Relative to people, or places?

Isn't the love of a wife, or one's spouse, supposed to be unconditional? So many goddamn questions, and not enough answers. There wasn't any time to think about these questions either. A decision needed to be made, and now.




© Copyright 2021 Eli Waynne (eliwaynne at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2253352-Girl-At-The-Bar