*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2247423-Moonlit-Breakup
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Jan3
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Romance/Love · #2247423
"We need to talk"
We need to talk. Meet me at the hill.

It was a humid summer’s night, the air was still except for a few cool breezes. I could see her stark silhouette against the pale moonlight. Blades rustled in the wind.

I sat beside her, joining her in gazing out at the cityscape, until the tension grew too much to bear, “What do you want from me.”

She took a drag from her cigarette and watched me wince, “Wanted to talk to you.”

“About what…”

“The state of our affairs.”

“Could you please stop being so fucking dramatic…”

“I needed closure.”

I massaged my temples, “It wasn’t going to work. I knew that. I bet you did too. I know you did.”

She blew another puff of smoke, “But I thought we could work it out.”

“Sure, but I won’t be her. I’m tired of moulding myself into your criteria, into her. I want to be myself.”

“Then who are you.”

The way she snapped took me aback. I thought for a bit and responded carefully, “I’m who I’m most comfortable being in that moment. I’m not a fixed person and that’s just truly am.”

“Bullshit. You know it’s bullshit that you keep telling yourself to feel alright with staying a pathetic people pleaser.”

“At least I’m not miserable like you anymore. I don’t know why or how I even put up with you and your stupid self-pitying. I don’t want to baby you anymore”

“I loved you too.”

I sighed and got up, when she grabbed my hand. She stared into my eyes for what felt like an eternity, locking eyes for the last time. I tried to hide it, but I knew she could see me biking away in tears.
© Copyright 2021 Jan3 (janellen3 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2247423-Moonlit-Breakup