*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2230185-Snotlout--and-Stoick-Strike-a-Deal
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Letter/Memo · Fanfiction · #2230185
Stoick realizes Snotlout also protects Hiccup
By the end of the story, several realizations have occurred. One, Hiccup realizes Snotlout is good for more than fighting. He offered to teach Snotlout because he wanted Snotlout to be able to manage, but he believed he would have to stuff learning down Snotlout’s throat. He had been blinded by thinking of his cousin as a loud, brash warrior, but not good for much outside of that. He thought Snotlout was dumb. He was treating Snotlout similarly to how he was treated.


Snotlout realizes he’s good for more than he has been pursuing. While he no longer believes he can become Chief, he has been pushed out of his rut, and gained confidence in areas not related to being a Jorgenson. It gives him a modicum of freedom from Spitelout’s expectations, and that helps Snotlout to put distance between who he is and who his dad wants him to be. This adds to the maturing of their relationship.

Stoick and Spitelout are reminded of the value of having family to support you, esp. when you are part of the Chieftain’s family. They are reminded that sometimes it’s okay to simply be brothers, and put other things aside. Drinking, talking, arm wrestling, Kings Table—all are valid ways to spend time without lots of work talk.

Spitelout promotes clan Jorgenson for several personal reasons. He never knew his father Floplout Jorgenson, only his stepfather Halvar Haddock. While Halvar raised him as he would a blood son, he was made to understand he was a member of clan Jorgenson. He was taught about the honor and worth if his clan, the heroes, and the loyalty the name Jorgenson stands for. Halvar made sure he understood the warrior traditions, and never forced Spitelout into clan Haddock. Spitelout feels pressured to be the best of clan Jorgenson, to live up to the name of Floplout’s clan while honoring Halvar’s training and education. He is also Jorgenson Clanheir. He is a strong support for Stoick and a man with authority. Spitelout and Stoick bump heads frequently. How can they both be raised to power and strength by Halvar Haddock and do otherwise?

Hiccup and Snotlout learn how to form a dynamic that allow them to work together. It’s unique to them, and unlike the other relationships among the gang. Snotlout feels less need to show off, though he still does. There’s little competition, little one upmanship, though on the outside their dynamic appears unchanged.

The tribe begins to see them, and by extension, the gang, as maturing, in some cases into future leaders. They have time to adjust to this reality.

The Jorgensons and Haddocks develop new appreciation for and insight into each other, like Spitelout & Hiccup, or Stoick & Snotlout.

Snotlout may be loud and brash, but for things that matter, he can be surprisingly subtle. He has protected Hiccup, though Hiccup never notices. That’s fine. Snotlout wants to keep it a secret. Somehow, Stoick finds out. He and Snotlout have a talk, and Stoick recognizes Snotlout and thanks him. They agree that sometimes they will have to work together to protect that idiot from himself. Stoick also recommends Snotlout tell Toothless, since he’s another one of Hiccup’s protectors.

Random thought: Toothless already knows because Hookfang told him. He only gets upset with Snotlout if he really crosses a line, but largely leaves him alone. Toothless knows Snotlout would never really hurt Hiccup, so all those times Snotlout harasses Hiccup and Toothless stays out of it is because he knows Hiccup is safe. It gets him extra “useless reptile” comments, but Toothless is fine with that. It’s about Hiccup—it’s always about Hiccup.
© Copyright 2020 Whiskerfaceschoolsout! (whiskerface at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2230185-Snotlout--and-Stoick-Strike-a-Deal