*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2228967-Corrections-and-rehabilitation
by Joe
Rated: 13+ · Other · Inspirational · #2228967
Inmate mentorship. Real talk.
The prison system IS NOT GOING TO REHABILITATE YOU!!!
You're going to have to do that on YOUR OWN.
You're in prison. You're a big boy/girl now. You need to wear your big boy/girl pants from here out if you intend to change the cycle.
I started my prison career as a petty criminal and drug dealer. Did little bits of jail time here and there. Was living my life for the drugs. But, in my mind was living "the fast life"
Hello state prison.
The truth is, once you become honest with yourself you see things how they are…
I woke up one day and I was a piece of work!!! "Holy crap what have I been doing?"
Suddenly I was an adult. I told myself that all of this time and (2 prison terms) I've been a grown ass man behaving like a child. And now I'm on timeout, doing my 3rd term.
See I was honest with myself. And accepted my part in my failures. But, as long as you learn from it every "fail" is actually a win. I took a good look at the man I would like to be in 10 years and then behaved as I should behave, as that guy.

"I am no longer a criminal."

FIRST thing I did was cut off ANYONE that wasn't on the same path… my best friend, right hand man, all that… gone!!! Past relationships, gone!!! Old friends that haven't changed since highschool… f-ing gone!!!! Everyone who wasn't moving forward is GONE! Anyone who is toxic, anyone who is negative… gone and gone.
Now it's time to focus on solitude… it took about a year to figure that out. Then it took a whole summer of blistering heat in centinela, sitting on the aluminum bleachers, IGNORING every "friend" that wanted to talk or walk or play or whatever… Those past people no longer serve you. And the new you doesn't hang out with that type anymore. Surround yourself with people who are better than you. How do you find them? Be honest with YOURSELF. You know who has their shit going on and who doesn't..
I took the time to reflect. Decided where I want to be, figured out who or what programs on this yard are the best influence in that direction. And then made plans to change everything. See because in order for something to change, something has to change. And that "something" is YOU!!
"Well that isn't as easy as it sounds.."
Ahhh but you are wrong. You will find that one simple step changes EVERYTHING. HONESTY!!
I can't begin to tell you how important that is.
Then I adopted a philosophy called kaizen.
"Constant and everlasting improvement in tiny steps."
(It was the philosophy that gave Japan the will to rebuild. It's genius.)
So let me be clear.
Honesty, integrity, new people, new attitude, new mission.. NEW YOU!
As long as you make one step in the right direction, every day, you are bettering yourself. Mind, body and spirit. Take a class, study a non-fiction, dedicate yourself to a weekly ritual, whether it's church or a chess game… something you don't already do. This will promote change. Be patient and never, EVER look back! Keep moving forward!
-Joe
© Copyright 2020 Joe (joeharmer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2228967-Corrections-and-rehabilitation