*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2217181-HTTYD-Prompts
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: ASR · Letter/Memo · Fanfiction · #2217181
Gobber, young Hiccup, grown Hiccup, Stalka, Stoick and Halvar, Astrid, Twins, Fishlegs
Since Stoick turned seven, he has made an effort to spend time with Flint. Veronika believes Stoick is assuring his brother he will always make time for him, and is pleased he takes special care of his brother. Much of what Stoick is doing is introducing him to ideas about proper behavior—don’t interrupt, no begging for treats, do work and run errands for others, have restraint. He is loading tribal expectations onto Flint, preparing him for the upcoming lessons on right behavior and his place in the tribe. Halvar and Veronika will teach him such things, but Stoick is trying to ease him in as well. Stoick also allows things Veronika would never approve of. Flint hears his first curse word in Stoick’s company, and is told to keep it secret from Mama. Stoick also places Flint on the edge of the outskirts, draws a line in the dirt, and challenges him to not cross the line. Stoick leaves for several minutes, returns, and asks Flint if he stayed put. Flint lies, saying yes. Stoick gives him a firm swat and instructs him no untruths. Again he asks, again Flint lies, another swat. Stoick warns him, one more lie, and Stoick will swat him in front of others. Flint obeys. Stoick plans to repeat this test, encouraging restraint and truthfulness in his little brother. Stoick repeatedly tells Flint he is capable of harder things, his is strong, he is tough, “ye are a Haddock and Haddocks are strong.” He is not spoiling Flint, but readying him for the future, for working, obeying, accepting disappointment, learning his place. Especially for seeing Papa when he gets in trouble.

Adult Flint and Stoick get into a fight. Flint is insulting and obnoxious, and has been for years. He, along with many on Berk, disparaged Hiccup. Now the Red Death is defeated, Flint has to acknowledge Hiccup’s worth. The evidence is there—the war is ended, Hiccup has a prosthetic leg, Toothless is by his side. The villagers treat Hiccup with respect, and multiple people tell Flint about that day on Dragon Island. Even Snotlout, who Flint considers his “worthy” nephew, says that Hiccup took down the Red Death. Snotlout begins calling Stoick his “worthy uncle,” and, for Flint, it smarts. Snotlout and Hiccup have had a strained relationship at best, but everyone is tired of Flint’s arrogance, and Spitelout’s family happy to take him down a peg.

Flint’s deliberate refusal to face facts brings about a fight between Stoick and Flint. Stoick can’t understand why Flint is so awful towards Stoick and Hiccup. In the heat of the argument, Flint shouts about how Stoick was the favorite, the golden child, and he was nothing at all. Veronika died, Ragna died, Brenna married, and Flint saw himself as unwanted. Why should he care about Stoick and Hiccup when Flint's birth family never cared about him?

Stoick breaks out Halvar’s old journals and points to the places Halvar wrote about him. Halvar loved Flint, fretted over him, and missed him desperately. Both men get new insight and are in a place where they can mend their relationship.


§ § §



Coalie meets Toothless, and Toothless resaembles a creature from Scots mythology--the Beithir-nimh.
Alien Big Cats: The Beast of Bodmin Moor and the Beast of Buchan - Owlcation
Beithir-nimh (Venomous Serpent) Venomous Vorpent? Maybe Hiccup scours the dragon knowledge to find if any such creature existed.

The beithir-nimh is described as being either the most dangerous and venomous snake to ever live, or as a type of wingless dragon that cannot breathe fire. It is huge and lives inside caves and valleys. If you try to approach it, it will sting you with its venomous stinger. Once you are stung, you must race the beithir-nimh to the nearest river or loch. If you win the race then you will be cured, but if you lose the race then you will die no matter what you do. Speed Stinger! Even better, Hiccup hears tales from visiting Albans about creatures like the Loch Ness monster. Hiccup recognizes it as a Scauldron. The Beither nimh is a Speed Stinger.

A beithir-nimh is created when you kill a normal snake, but fail to separate the head and the body by enough distance. The dead snake will join back up and come back to life as a beithir-nimh. You can see the snake from a distance on summer nights, during a lightning strike.
Beithir-nimh uploaded by Spectra-Sky on MythologyWikia


Stoick has lied to ten-year-old Hiccup, and has been ignoring him, cutting him off, not listening and avoiding any possibility of Hiccup asking uncomfortable questions. Gobber forces him to see this can’t go on. Hiccup has been teaching himself to dance through the forge blindfolded. Stoick heads to the forge early, hoping to speak to his son before the forge opens. He finds Hiccup dancing. Stoick is reminded of Valka, and cannot talk to Hiccup. He failed to protect Valka, and if he has to lie and not let Hiccup ask questions, he will. The chance to answer Hiccup’s questions and restore things between them is gone.

Hiccup watches the stars with Stoick, just as Stoick did with his father.

Multiple times Stoick spoke to Mani.

Barf and Belch try to teach Tuffnut stealth.

Spitelout and Stoick trade sons for a day.

Hiccup’s fingers are quick and nimble, like his mother’s. Hiccup loves to create, like his mother.

Gobber teaches Terrible Terrors to form a squad and report to him.

Tuffnut, Ruffnut, Ruffrunner, and Nuffink all have "FF" in their names.

RTTE Timeline: After Alvin becomes a friend of Berk, some of his men, eager to keep fighting, join Dagur. They still don’t take Hiccup and the riders seriously, which is why Hiccup’s “Guard, Guard, let me out,” doesn’t stick in their memory. Astrid uses the same ploy when she’s imprisoned, and it works a second time.

Stoick hasn’t been to the cove. The shield is still in place, and he can’t enter without breaking it. Once he has Thornado, Hiccup leads him there. Alternatively, Hiccup removes the shield or cuts a new path. Maybe a path only Stoick knows about.

Young Phlegma has a crush on Gobber.

In order for other people to enter the cove, the shield blocking the way has to be removed. But Hiccup doesn’t want it gone, so he searches for a solution.

When Hiccup discovers that death is a too-frequent visitor t9 Berk, he questions the wisdom of using horrible names. Maybe the gods notice them more, and kill to stop the naming tradition. It’s a punishment to name a three year old named Choke. Calling her Edna isn’t scary, but gnomes and trolls aren’t the only scary things out there.

At the end of DOB, Hiccup is wearing a fur vest. At the start of RTTE, he’s wearing leather armor. Why the change? When did it happen, and why?


Stoick’s family travels to Meathead for Brenna’s wedding. Upon their return, they discover Haddock House has been broken into. Who did it and why? Was it Alvin? Mildew? A dare?

Hiccup, Toothless, Gobber, Tuffnut, Ruffnut, and Nuffink all have double letters in their names. So does Grimmel.

When Hiccup was unconscious on Dragon Island, Stoick wrapped him in his cloak. The cloak was so blood soaked and badly damaged it had to be replaced.

In the space between Hiccup found alive and him waking up, much happens.

The twins go to clean the kill ring. It feels wrong to be there—so much happened in that ring, and now it’s being cleaned. No more dragon training, memories of Hiccup when he stunk, of him almost dying during training, of the Nightmare chasing him. Toothless almost killing Stoick and Hiccup trying to save Berk alone on the Nightmare that tried to kill him. The smashed weapons rack, Hiccup’s discarded helmet, broken spears scattered on the ground—all remind them of the disaster Hiccup’s final became.

Astrid finds the double headed axe she used to get into the ring. The blade is damaged and the ownership of it unknown. Unsure of what else to do, she takes it to Gobber. It is quality iron, and he tells Astrid he knows whose axe it is. It was the training trophy Spitelout got for winning dragon training. He sees Spitelout and tells him about the axe. When asked if he still wants it, he says no. Gobber proposes melting it down to use for Hiccup’s prosthetic. Spitelout is gratified to help Hiccup in this way.

Fishlegs’ time spent reading the book of dragons is useless. Nothing Berk needs is in there. How do you feed dragons or communicate with them? Do you have to bathe them? How can you tell if they’re overtired? Fishlegs spent time trying to persuade the other teens of the value of the dragon book, but Hiccup held genuine dragon knowledge. Now Fishlegs will figure out all he can, to share the information with Hiccup when he wakes up. He also writes out everything he can remember about Hiccup in dragon training and on the day of the final.

Snotlout is at a loss. His cousin is in a coma, and he’s heard rumors Hiccup is feverish. For all their differences, Hiccup remains kin, and Snotlout can’t lose him. He’s never thought about Hiccup’s character. Hiccup received abuse from Snotlout because he knew Snotlout needed a way to deal with his own suffering. He never reported it, and several times protected Snotlout. Hiccup didn’t lose his temper with Snotlout, though he was frustrated with the situation.
Snotlout is quick to set peopl3 straight when they talk about “if Hiccup lives.” He won’t foster that talk or look the other way when others gossip. Hiccup’s put up with a lot, and Snotlout will protect him, Stoick, and even the damned dragon. He deserves that much.


Snotlout or one of the twins asks Gothi for an update on Hiccup’s health while he’s unconscious. They do it privately, but are seen.

Stoick has a habit of lifting or hanging Hiccup. Opening scene of first movie, Stoick lifts him out of the path of a Nadder. He drags Hiccup to Mead Hall and tosses him to the floor. He tries to drag him out of Valka’s nest. In the first movie, he looms a lot, too.

Hiccup had a basket packed when he was running away. He took it back home, but never unpacked it. Stoick finds it while Hiccup is in a coma and looks through it. This can be a multi-chapter fic. Also, when did Astrid retrieve her axe from the cove? She went home without it. What became of Hiccup’s helmet after he cast it aside in the ring? What about the axe Astrid used to prop the door open?

Hiccup believed if he could kill a Night Fury, the tribe and Stoick and Astrid would approve of him. After he kills the Red Death, he can’t get used to the idea everyone likes him. He keeps expecting it to end.

If Thor is Toothless’s father, that makes him cousins with Sleipnir and Fenrir, and a nephew to Loki. The twins, unfortunately, realize this.

Hiccup’s flight suit has loops to put his thumbs into. This is because when Hiccup was younger, a traditional smithing apron would be too long for him. Gobber has the tailors build a loop and hook system into the apron so he won’t trip over it, and it can be lengthened as he grows.


In the aftermath of the Red Death’s Battle, Stoick shunts aside getting Gobber’s report in dragon training. As an attempt to know Hiccup better, Stoick asks for the details of his time training. Hiccup gives an honest account, casually spoken, while Stoick listens in horror.

“Yeah, the Nadder almost got us both, but Astrid managed to separate us and whack her on the chin. Poor Stormfly. “

“Stormfly?”

“She’s Astrid’s dragon. She has really sharp spines—I examined the ones in Fishleg’s shield—and the tips on them are lethal.”

“Nadder spines are tipped with poison. Don’t tell me you’ve touched one.”

“Yeah. Gobber said it was okay, they weren’t coated in anything, probably.”

“Did he check them first?” What went on with that Nadder? Stoick planned to ask Gobber.

“Nah, he wasn’t in the ring. He watched from outside while it chased us. I wish I’d had that good a view, those walls we set up blocked our line of sight like you couldn’t believe, Dad.”


Ruffnut Thorston was passionate. Ruffnut was protective. Ruffnut was pissed. Stoick, the Chief, Hiccup’s dad, was dead. Instead they had Valka. A runaway. A coward. A woman who abandoned her husband and preemie. Now she’s back, the traitorous bitch.

It was an obscenity, and Ruffnut wasn’t going to let Valka off scot free, or allow her to hurt Hiccup. Astrid wasn’t the only one who looked out for Hiccup. Not at all.

Spitelout is angry Valka has been alive all this time. He saw Stoick’s grief and watched Hiccup grow up without a mother. Gerda, Gobber, Spitelout, Blister, Gothi—they all mourned her, as did others. Spitelout never properly grieved for her; he was too busy supporting Stoick and helping Hiccup. Now she’s back, and he’s furious. He’s not the only one angry. Hiccup’s friends are troubled and sometimes angry at Valka. Spitelout takes his anger out in training. One day, Ruffnut asks to train with him. She, too, is working out her anger with Valka. As time goes on, the training becomes a way of getting out the anger and allows them to talk without having to sit and discuss feelings. Spitelout gets to know the teens better and they get to know him.


Hiccup is writing and wants some music to listen to as he writes. Where can he find such a thing on Berk? This pokes fun at the writers who insist each chapter has a particular song that goes with it.
Do the needs for music vary depending on the things he’s writing? What sources of music does he have available? Pipes, whistles, drums, vocals. Serenading? Pennywhistle? Kazoo?

Hiccup has a box of small items he has made stashed in the forge. He doesn’t get paid, but Gobber allows him to make small items to barter with or give to someone. A simple charm to hang on a cord, a weight for a fishing net, fishhooks, a short length of chain, a small spoon for measuring.

Around age ten, Hiccup develops the equivalent of an hourglass. He is an apprentice at the time. It is a container holding sand perched atop a tube or chute with a dish to catch the sand. He uses it as a timer. Years later, he gives an improved version to Astrid. Deathsong amber? She’s dubious she can find a use for measuring such small amounts of time. Hiccup is certain she can. She does find a use for it. She uses it to keep Hiccup on track. How much longer he has to geek out, how much longer he can stay in bed, and how much longer he can delay things. Astrid is grateful for her timer; Hiccup wishes he’d never given it to her.

"Aye, Gobber's a grand storyteller, but has only a passing relationship with the truth." Stoick

At the end of the day, Stoick needs ice blocks for his headache. Now Berk is covered in ice and Stoick is gone.

Hiccup: “I was a coward. I was weak. I wouldn’t kill a dragon. Three hundred years and I’m the first person who wouldn’t kill a dragon.”

“The first to ride one, though. So?”

“I wouldn’t kill him because he looked as frightened as I was. I looked at him and I saw myself.”


Valka: weapons. Stoick speaks to Valka’s mother about her learning a weapon. Her mother had agreed—the people on Berk are fighters—but is not happy about it. Stoick suggests Valka do another thing that tribe members do—learn additional skills. He recommends she train with Gothi in healing. Valka’s mother approves of this, and is more malleable to the idea of Valka learning the staff. It’s not a bladed weapon, it suits her height and build, and she can use it as a close quarters weapon as well as one with greater reach. Stoick remains quiet on Gothi’s skill with a staff.



VALKA (V.O.)
Berk was a land of kill or be
killed, but I believed peace was
possible.


A Viking is about to finish off a felled dragon, but Valka
chases up to him and tugs at his arm.



VALKA
Stop! You'll only make it worse!


The dragon takes wing, escaping to safety... leaving the
Viking warrior glaring at Valka.



VALKA (V.O.)
It was a very unpopular opinion.
HTTYD 2 (D. DeBlois) - FINAL DRAFT - 05/05/14 43.




As he rushes off, Valka hears a clatter and whirls around to
see a DRAGON (Cloudjumper) clawing its way through the roof
of a house.



VALKA
Hiccup!





INT. STOICK'S HOUSE - CONTINUOUS




FLASHBACK CONTINUED


Cloudjumper enters the house through the hole in the roof,
sniffing out a baby's cradle in the corner.


Valka rushes in, panicked.



VALKA (V.O.)
One night, a dragon broke into our
house, finding you in the cradle.


Valka draws a sword quietly, slipping up to the dragon, only
to find it huddled protectively over the cradle as BABY
HICCUP innocently plays with one of its talons.



VALKA (V.O.)
I rushed to protect you, but what I
saw... was proof of everything I
believed.


Valka's careful approach causes a floorboard to squeak.
Spooked, Cloudjumper whips around to face her, accidentally
SCRATCHING baby Hiccup's chin.


Their eyes meet. Valka lowers her sword, transfixed.



VALKA (V.O.)
This wasn't a vicious beast, but an
intelligent, gentle creature, whose
soul reflected my own.


Stoick's AXE spins through the air between them, barely
missing Cloudjumper and planting into a pillar.



STOICK
Valka, run!


Alarmed, Cloudjumper WHIRLS around at Stoick and BLASTS!


Stoick DIVES out of the way as the FIRE SPLATTERS against the
wall, burning a hole and setting the room ablaze.


The dragon moves toward Stoick, but Valka grabs hold.
HTTYD 2 (D. DeBlois) - FINAL DRAFT - 05/05/14 44.





VALKA
Don't!


It turns to face her again, locking eyes, agitated.



STOICK
Hold on!


Stoick dashes through the fire toward Hiccup and pulls him
out of the cradle. He pulls his axe from the pillar...



VALKA (O.S.)
No! Stoick!


... but in a WHOOSH of smoke and embers, the dragon and Valka
are GONE.



STOICK

VALKA!



VALKA

(DISTANT)
Stoick!


Stoick and baby Hiccup watch helplessly as the dragon spirits
Valka away into the night sky.



STOICK
Valka...


ON BABY HICCUP'S FACE, with the fresh nick on his chin...



MATCH CUT TO:





INT. DRAGON MOUNTAIN - DAWN


PRESENT DAY


HICCUP'S FACE, with the matching scar.



VALKA
You and your father nearly died
that night, all because I couldn't
kill a dragon.



HICCUP
Yeah, it runs in the family.


They both lost family, tribe, and best friends.


Hiccup complains about how busy his dad is, always working. Gobber tells him his grandfather was worse, remarking, “I don’t think the man ever slept.”
Hiccup wonders if his dad sleeps and spies on him to get an answer. Hiccup, who loves to measure, name, and categorize, wants to stay up late enough to get an average number of hours slept. Why? Because someone has to look after Stoick.

Valka is skilled with anything involving her fingers—sewing, embroidery, spinning, lace making. It’s not an obvious skill, like cooking, but she’s talented with her fingers. Example: the toy Nadder. Story idea: She designs and sews a flag to represent Stoick as he assumes the Chiefdom. The flag will fly from the smithy flagpole when Gobber has business with Stoick.

Valka is a horrible cook for most things, but capable of preparing several delicious and high quality meals for special occasions or visiting dignitaries. She is also able to cook for many people at once. Ordinary cooking confounds her, though.


After seeing Stoick’s ability to work at a trade when doing scut work for the shipwrights, Halvar arranges for Stoick to undergo limited apprenticeships with multiple crafters/tradesmen. Stoick spends part of his time every week working for a tradesman. For roughly two years, in five month stretches, Stoick works at the forge, for the carpenters, etc. He learns the basic, backbreaking, tedious labor of an apprentice and at least one useful task, such as making nails or carving pegs for construction.

Stoick does not want Hiccup bathing with the other vikings at the hot springs. He’s afraid Hiccup will slip, go under, drown. He gets ill more often, and Stoick wants him inside when possible. He’s also afraid people will laugh at Hiccup’s size. His concerns are understandable, but serve to further isolate Hiccup from the tribe. Instead, Hiccup bathes at home year round in a tub.

Gobber winds up getting a tub of his own. He doesn’t need it, but with Hiccup around, it’s a useful thing to have. He soaks Hiccup’s tunic in there in hot weather, and uses it to warm him when he’s ill. Hiccup sometimes uses it to get off the dust and grime from the day.

Stoick values intelligence and encourages Hiccup to think, asking questions and challenging him to consider matters beyond a surface interpretation. Stoick sees this as part of training Hiccup to be a good, wise Chief. Hiccup develops problem solving skills earlier than would be normal. The ideas he tries to implement as he gets older are a result of his ability to think. They fail, and Stoick wants to know what’s wrong with Hiccup, why can’t he think. He never thinks. If Hiccup had given some thought to the situation, they wouldn’t be in this mess now. Stoick does not see his son is thinking, just as Stoick encouraged him to do in earlier years. Hiccup is saddened by this miscommunication and wonders what is so wrong about not thinking as everyone else. He remembers Stoick encouraging him, and now his dad is angry, because he’s even screwed up thinking.

Hiccup is a good reasoner/thinker because he’s been forced to do from a young age. Dealing w/adults, son of the Chief, coping w/no mom.

Stoick wants to reclaim the words “Father” and “correction.” These words were used when Stoick was small and his father would abuse him. Stoick knows the man he called Father is gone and his Papa uses discipline to correct him much more properly than before. Because he doesn’t know how to talk to his Papa about this, because remembering those earlier times make his Papa sad and ashamed. Instead, he talks to Mani about it while his Papa is there.

Stoick had been three when he realized corrections could hurt that much. He remembered bellows and threats and blows Halvar delivered for any infraction. He remembered the shame from trips to the Meade Hall after Father had marked him, and his father telling those around them how proud he was of his son’s strength in taking a chastisement. Then at home Mama led him to bed and ruffled his hair and told him he was brave. Each night she told him she was proud of him that day and when he was afraid, she never told Father.


Stoick wasn’t a name, it was an order. Be strong. Be bold. Behave as a real Viking should. When he was sixteen, Stoick realized he was a real Viking, taller and stronger than his father. Stoick broke Halvar’s jaw in front of witnesses. At nineteen, Halvar’s Heir ruled the Hooligan tribe, and the chief was a figurehead. It laid the groundwork for the name Stoick the Vindictive, and compelled him to become better than his father. He was pleased when the tribe settled on Stoick the Vast.

Premise:

Gobber always has a mountain of rags in the forge, but why? Where do they come from? Gobber won’t say. But it might have something to do with a certain trader docking on the other side of the island to sell to him privately. Or perhaps a certain Bog Burglar.

Hiccup is poring over the laws of Berk, finding strange and obscure ones still on the books, trying to find a way to avoid being called Hiccup. He discovers giving hideous names is enshrined in law.

Premise: The presence of Dragons on Berk caused both dragons and Vikings to think more and educate themselves/think more critically. How does this affect life on Berk?


Premise:

Hiccup pranks the twins. Hiccup is seven and learning about being a chief. He is learning Haddock sign, a secret body language code used only by the Haddock Chief and Heir. Hiccup challenges the twins to shape their bodies into different ways. He does the same thing except he uses Haddock sign to insult them and make remarks about them. Stoick sees this. He later talks to Hiccup, telling him he can’t abuse his power as a chief or heir and Stoick never wants to see him do such a thing. Oh, and that Stoick spotted him with the twins earlier. And if he discovers a hint of Hiccup invading his father’s papers, he will truly regret it, so don’t even think about it, Hiccup. Whatever is in those papers is not for a seven-year-old to see. Subtext: when it comes to the twins, only do it once in a while, and don’t let me catch you. When it comes to Stoick’s papers, avoid them like they’re a plague. Basically, Stoick allows him get away with it.


After the battle with the Red Death, Stoick wants to figure out who his son is and understand him better. He wants to know the real Hiccup, and asks his son a question—“What do you need?”

Premise:

Astrid wants to improve her writing skills and asks Hiccup for help. Little does he know she wants to write him love letters.

Premise:

Hiccup wants to expand his skills into woodworking, specifically carving. He develops tools to help with this.

Premise:

Hiccup is annoyed with Stoick, who complains about feeding the village, but takes provisions on another search for the nest. That is denying the village food, especially if some gets lost and there’s none to return with. He mentions it to Gobber and people—the teens? overhear. Word gets back to Stoick.

Premise:

Fishlegs collects all songs, stories, tales, and legends and attempts creating an archive.

Premise:

Ruffnut becomes accident prone, but it all goes wrong for Tuffnut instead.

“I’m not caring about how you thought it up, we are not naming this babe Stumpsock.”


“Have you noticed how many people have names connected to body functions, Snotlout?”

“No, Hiccup, I haven’t.”

“Boy, Astrid sure can curse.”

“I’ve heard worse. Trust me, you don’t want to be anywhere near the docks when it’s time to scrape off barnacles.”


“There’s nothing wrong with barnacles and limpets. They make a good stew when you’re tired of mutton.”

“Gobber, did you teach anyone to cook?”

“Aye, your mother.”



Hiccup mashes barnacles and makes a powerful glue.

Premise:

It’s the first Snoggletog after the dragons departed and Hiccup is making a gift for Astrid using material left from the dragons. Scales, spines, spare saddle parts, etc. Hiccup is drawing Stormfly and framing the piece with a frame he made, that include Stormfly’s spines. He’s told no one he collected scales, spines, and other items related to the dragons. Now he’ll use them to please, remind, and comfort Astrid with a permanent reminder of her time with Stormfly.

Question: How has life on New Berk changed since the departure of the dragons?

Communicating with the outside world is harder. No one knew where the Berkians went, so no one can look to trade with them. Other tribes and chiefs will need to be contacted and trade relations restored. There’s an ample supply of fish in the waters around New Berk and enough sheep to feed them all for most of a year, but trade must resume as quickly as possible.

Shipbuilding is a must now that dragons cannot be used for travel. Hiccup wants to locate nearby tribes and form alliances with them. Hiccup also requires a map to facilitate travel to new locations.

Hiccup is busy assigning work and outlining tasks to prepare for a permanent settlement. The tribe needs to keep busy now that they need to do everything themselves. All help from the dragons is gone—all tasks the dragons helped with now fall on the tribe alone. All protecting, collecting, herding, fishing, travel, child minding, and so on come from the people and their efforts.

New Berk also needs to analyze what goods and services they can offer the outside world in order to thrive. Hiccup is full of ideas, and hopes to offer things to trade people can’t find elsewhere. His inventions can be sold or traded for, Berkian craftsmen have honed their skills in building, smithing, and creating furnishings because of the items needed by dragons.

Education amongst children has flourished and most children can read, write, and figure higher numbers. Once people have settled in more, Hiccup will encourage more educational pursuits, such as a school/library/training center. Other tribes may be allowed to send children in exchange for money or trade, furthering good relations and creating a pool of people guaranteed to have useful skills.

The knowledge and memories of dragons will linger in New Berk, affecting the culture in different ways. Phrases like “Snappier than a hungry Nightmare”, games like Whiptail, and household furniture carved to resemble scales will exist in New Berk. Small and naughty children will be described as terrible terrors.



© Copyright 2020 Whiskerfaceschoolsout! (whiskerface at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2217181-HTTYD-Prompts