*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2197871-Mamas-Battle
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Draft · Fanfiction · #2197871
Stoick’s Mama fights for him.
Stoick didn’t feel brave. He never felt brave when Papa spoke to him about behaving. He tried to be good, but sometimes he forgot to listen. Papa wanted him to be good all the time, but that was hard. She understood some things are mistakes. Mama knew how he worked to follow instructions and told him he’d be better next time. She said he was brave and she was proud. He’d gotten in trouble again this morning, falling and breaking her blue bowl so it couldn’t be fixed. Ragna scolded him and he ran off, unhappy to break Mama’s bowl and upset that Ragna spoke harshly to him. He needed to be anywhere else. Mama found him and carried him home, telling him she knew it was an accident. It was usually Mama who found him and told him not to worry, though Ragna had found him before, and once, Papa. Ragna was unhappy she had to find him and Papa had frowned and told him not to run away. Mama never scolded and she never frowned, just told him to try again. There was always again time, another chance, and she said if he needed extra chances, he could have them.

Papa was inside when they returned and Mama looked surprised to see him. Papa worked to help everybody and was gone most in the daytime. Papa frowned at him, the same frown as when he found Stoick by himself. Mama asked why he was there and he said Ragna told him to come because Stoick was missing again. Papa lifted him out of the soft arms of Mama and told him he mustn’t run off anymore. He had to stay and listen to Ragna and not make everyone hunt for him. He could be unhappy at home. Then Papa made him say “sorry” to Ragna because he gave her extra work. Then Ragna nodded and let him go back to Mama, and Papa left. Stoick knew he wasn’t brave like Mama said.

Mama let him hold her and fetched him a drink and told him to lie down and rest a little. He lay there quiet and heard Mama talk to Ragna; her voice sounded different, sharp like the snaps of the fire, and Stoick listened.

“Ragna, this is unacceptable and you know it. Halvar does not need to be dragged away from his work to find a three-year-old. If you have a problem with any of the children, come to me. I run Haddock house and I tend Brenna, Stoick, and Flint; I am your Chieftess and I expect you to remember that. You do not chase down your Chief because of the children and take him away from tending Berk.”

“I know how hard you work, and I’m trying to ease your burden, Nika. Little Stoick just needs to mind more, and his father can teach him that now to have a strong boy later. It makes life easier for all the Haddocks and you don’t need to fret. That’s best for everyone.” Ragna’s voice was slippery, like oil, and Stoick thought it sounded like it wanted to hurt.

“Ragna, you do not call me Nika, or even Veronika. You refer to me as Chieftess or Lady Haddock. You work here, in the house I run, and you follow my orders. If you continue to harass my children and trouble my husband, you endanger your job here. If the Chieftess gets rid of you, who else will hire you?”



© Copyright 2019 Whiskerfaceschoolsout! (whiskerface at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2197871-Mamas-Battle