*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2187928-Outlining-Story-Ideas
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: ASR · Fiction · Fanfiction · #2187928
A breakdown of ideas into short story form- possibly consecutive
Through Grief and Beyond

A short story about Stoick in the aftermath of losing Valka

The draft:

Stoick never talked of Valka after her death. He cut short people’s remarks, glared at those who questioned him about her, and glared when hearing whispers and gossip. When Ambi Larssen publicly insisted Stoick speak of her, the massive man lifted him bodily off the floor and hurled him to the ground. Two cracked ribs later, Ambi knew the subject was closed. Their chief heard no word about his beautiful, strong-willed Valka. Only by keeping her to himself, away from the questions and comments, could he appear strong to the people he led.

What Stoick wanted was to collapse in anguish, to weep until exhausted, to be held and comforted by the one person who could carry him through anything-Valka. The only one not afraid to laugh at him, the woman who saw the tenderness he tried to hide, the woman who helped, protected, and managed Stoick, while he did the same for all of Berk. The relentlessly boar-headed Viking lass he chose before the gods to marry him. Now she was gone and Stoick was devastated.

It was his failure to protect Valka that caused her death. Stoick pledged to keep her from all harm, yet when she was carrying the first baby, the child was stillborn and Valka almost died giving birth. What good was he then, unable to protect the wife he devoted himself to, or prevent her pain when the longed-for child was delivered dead.

Then came Hiccup. Born early and born small, Valka doubted his survival. She’d seen the stillbirth as her fault, and it destroyed a piece of her. Stoick refused to see her heart break again. With every resource available to him, Stoick protected the wee scrap of child, the living proof of their love and her ability. That helpless babe, like his parents, had a will of iron and the day the healer declared him fit to survive, Stoick discovered Valka smiling with joy and relief. The pain in her eyes vanished as she held tiny Hiccup. Stoick thanked the gods for healing Valka and preserving their son, while he vowed to protect them both now, for eternity.

Now Valka was dead, Hiccup motherless, and Stoick alone. His fault, his failure in not being there, not paying heed, not destroying the vile beast who stole Stoick’s greatest joy and treasure from him. Remembering it all, the chief of Berk, the man who stood taller than any, the mighty Stoick the Vast, held his head in both hands and shook in the grief and pain he could no longer contain.







I Will Make You Proud


Possibly a Story by itself, it shows Stoick realizing Hiccup is capable enough to begin school. Hiccup’s ability to solve problems makes Stoick rethink his view of Hiccup as too easily distracted. He sees the makings of a future Chief in Hiccup, who astonishes him with his adult behavior.

Another thing to try is to write a story showing Stoick’s concern over Hiccup’s distraction, and frustration at not having a solution. Hiccup is old enough to begin formal learning, but is he ready enough? Actually, this might feed into I Will Make You Proud, as Hiccup is revealed to be a problem solver, and provides the answer, inadvertently, to Stoick’s dilemma. Hiccup solves the lesser problem(Stoick needs ice for his head), and reveals he has the attention span to begin school. Stoick’s bigger problem( is Hiccup ready for school), is settled when Hiccup reveals he has been paying attention for months to Stoick’s need for looking after(hence the block of ice). Stoick even realizes Hiccup’s been trying to look after him for some time.

A Place to Be, Draft 2

Way too much material to be one story. Primarily about Hiccup and Gobber and seen through Gobber’s POV, this needs to be at least three separate stories. There’s what Gobber observes about Hiccup, how Gobber and Stoick view Hiccup, how Hiccup is a magnet for trouble, the growing dislike of Hiccup from the village, the excessive amount of complaining the village does to Stoick, Stoick’s inexperience with raising a child, Hiccup’s neglect from Stoick, the hurts inflicted by other children, the blame laid at Hiccup’s feet for things he didn’t do, Gobber’s efforts to protect Hiccup, and a growing disdain from the villagers in general.

There’s also Gobber’s conflict. Should he allow Hiccup in the forge? The forge is dangerous for an active, curious child like Hiccup, but being outside is also dangerous.

The second half is a story by itself, beginning with Gobber dragging Hiccup off and concluding with a deal between the two. It may be in need of editing, though splitting it into sections by using multiple POV could work. Hiccup’s POV would work for Gobber dragging him off, and Magnus’ to provide insight to Hiccup’s desire to craft and the builder’s recognition of a kindred soul. He can also display that the village’s attitude toward him isn’t universal. The idea that Magnus went a little further for Hiccup could be shown here. Also, the implication that Hiccup possesses little that’s made to suit or please him, and is hugely grateful that someone noticed him and made an effort, can be revealed here.

The Apprentice, draft two

Hiccup loves being in the smithy and with Gobber. It’s a place that soothes and cheers and provides balm on those days he struggles. When he’s apprenticed there, it’s like a dream come true. Right after he walks in, Gobber gives an apron. He begins his first day with Gobber stating he’s glad Hiccup’s there and that he can become a good smith, just what Hiccup wants to hear. But Gobber begins telling him he’s going to have to work hard and do whatever work he’s told to do until told to stop. Hiccup’s still eager and willing to begin, even after Gobber tells him to stop talking and listen. But when Gobber tells him to fetch coal, he’s crestfallen. No using tools, no smithing, just...a chore. Gobber tells him all the work must get done, and Hiccup accepts that.

Gobber has an underlying strategy. Hiccup, like any other apprentice, must learn to do what he’s told, not fight the orders, and wait for Gobber’s teaching. Hiccup is a magnet for trouble, and if he’s going to work there, he needs to have good habits that keep him safe. Gobber expects him to learn the necessity of structure. Without the structure, Hiccup can’t do anything more mentally challenging, like study tools or work with them. Hiccup is unused to firm demands on his time for hours at a go, and Gobber must break him to the job. Hiccup has to learn to have everything available. He needs to look at things, see the work waiting for him, and tackle it. Hiccup’s not simply watching Gobber work anymore; Hiccup’s change in status means he has to work. Learning the smithy inside out, and the basic tasks required to keep it going is a major goal.

It is not Gobber’s only goal. Hiccup is restless. Gobber plans to work him hard from the beginning, forcing him to slow down so he doesn’t burn out. Slowing down ought to reduce accidents and help him pace himself. Hiccup needs to discover the misery of racing through the day, only to crawl home, exhausted and sore. Hiccup will slow down, once Gobber suggests it. The boy may be raw, but he isn’t stupid. Gobber will let him learn to be steady and control his restlessness.

The work is tedious; Gobber knows this, but doesn’t keep Hiccup from doing it, either. He expects Hiccup to manage and continually teaches him fundamentals. Repeatedly, Hiccup hears “always wear your apron,” “without the coal, nothing gets made,” and “the smithy must be prepared to begin the day.”

All of this feeds into a bigger goal. Hiccup must learn patience. He must contain himself and learn to wait. He doesn’t really grasp that he needs to simply work. Right now, Hiccup’s attitude is he will do what’s asked until he can do a real blacksmith’s work. Hiccup’s work isn’t work for him, it’s just something to do until something better—learning smithing—begins. Each word, each task, each expectation of Gobber’s is shaped carefully. He’s teaching Hiccup, but also pushing him to reach a point where he can see what he needs to accept. He wants to make Hiccup understand that his work is what makes Hiccup an apprentice, not his desire to learn ahead of Gobber’s plan.

Hiccup is eager to learn, and Gobber doesn’t want to stifle that. He wants Hiccup to get beyond discouragement and disappointment. He wants to reach the beginning of anger and stubbornness, the place where Hiccup believes Gobber doesn’t care and is breaking his promise to teach him everything he knows about smithing. Then Gobber can act, and reach that point where he can, by action and instruction, allow Hiccup to figure it out. After that, he will wait for the result of Hiccup’s thinking. And maybe Hiccup will be able to take real ownership of his work and place in the forge.

Gobber is shrewder than he appears and knows Hiccup better than anyone, even Stoick. This is why he requires Stoick to stay out of Gobber’s methods before accepting Hiccup into an apprenticeship. Both Haddocks are stubborn and somewhat set in their thinking, and Gobber must have unquestioned control of the situation to progress with Hiccup. If he can accomplish this, perhaps it will help both of them. If not, at least Hiccup will benefit. So, no real downside.


Okay, now Hiccup’s POV.

Hiccup’s excitement at working at the forge with the man he admires almost as much as his dad leads him to accept the work given uncomplainingly. He admires Gobber and shows a willingness to do whatever Gobber wants. The work is hard. Gobber didn’t lie to Hiccup. He was tired, hot, and sore. He did become tired and kept going anyway. He went home exhausted, ate, fell on his bed, and slept. Stoick wondered where his active, talkative son went to. Gobber said he was just tired. But, Gobber also said Hiccup worked hard, and Hiccup was encouraged by hearing that.

He did everything Gobber asked and just kept waiting. He could ask questions and talk to Gobber, until Gobber said to “Stop yakking and get to work.” He hauled water and topped off the quench tub, even when his matchstick arms ached from the effort. He carried load after load of coal, bending beneath the weight. He climbed every shelf, often hearing Gobber tell him to “be quick, laddie, I need that tool ta finish this.” Still Hiccup worked, and waited, and began the day hoping to start learning about smithing instead of doing more chores.

This bit is copied from the draft itself:



all day After weeks with no change, disappointment became discouragement. Hiccup doubted he’d learn anything. Not that Gobber would lie to him, but...he didn’t remember to teach Hiccup, either.

Hiccup showed up to work hoping the broom had vanished in the night. Every day it stood there, waiting for him. The broom became the image of every draining, filthy chore Hiccup completed in the smithy. His work was never finished. The forge required water for washing, drinking, and topping off the quench tub, and Hiccup hauled bucketfuls each day. Coal needed to be brought, too, a job that left Hiccup’s throat dry and dusty. Gobber had him climbing shelves for the one tool Gobber needed “right up top, laddie, that’s it,” were tied up in his gnawing hatred for the broom. When Gobber wasn’t looking, Hiccup would spit on the ground before it.

The first day Hiccup appeared scowling, Gobber smiled at him and said, “Mornin’ Hiccup. Good ta see you here.”

Hiccup looked at him, took a breath, and erased the grimace. “Yeah, good morning, Gobber. Nice to see you.” Hiccup grabbed the apron, saying, “It looks like you need coal first. I’ll go get some.” Hiccup donned the apron and left, unaware Gobber was studying him walk away, stiff-shouldered.

Gobber greeted him at the door the next day. “I want ta talk with you, laddie. Come inside and sit there,” pointing to a disused stool. Puzzled, Hiccup sat.

“I see you’ve been workin’ hard, boy, and I’m proud of you,” Gobber stated. “Scrawny as you are, the work gets done.”

Hiccup smiled a little. “Thanks, Gobber.”

“Now tell me somethin’. What do you think an apprentice such as yourself ought ta be doin’ now?”

Hiccup tilted his head and considered the question. “I think,” he began, “an apprentice such as myself ought to learn to handle tools.”

“You want to handle tools, then?”

“Yeah, I really do.”

“When do you think you should start?”

He hesitated. Gobber told Hiccup what to do, explained things to him, and answered questions. He didn’t ask questions. This was a serious conversation and Hiccup had to be serious, too.

He asked, “What about right now, Gobber?”

Gobber looked at him, stating, “That’s a question Hiccup. I want you ta answer me.”

Hiccup’s bewilderment grew. Gobber wasn’t his usual cheerful self. But he wasn’t angry or annoyed either. He was a completely different Gobber, looking Hiccup straight in the eye like he was a grown person, certain Hiccup had an answer.

“I want to start today, Gobber. This morning.”

“Well, I can teach you as soon as I get my work done. It won’t be this mornin’, though.” Gobber continued, “I’ll get started on the work. You stay there Hiccup, and think awhile. I’ll be back.”

Hiccup sat back on the stool and replayed the conversation. There was something unnerving about it. Why would Gobber ask him what he wanted? His opinion never mattered before. Why now? Yeah, Hiccup wanted to learn, but it was Gobber’s job to decide when he’d learn and what he’d study. An apprentice expected to work hard, listen, and obey orders. But Gobber ordered him to sit and think.

His mind wandered. He noted the coal pile, and decided extra was needed today—Gobber had a lot of repairing to do, including Hoark’s axe. There wasn’t enough water to begin with, either. Hiccup tried to fetch that before the forge grew busy; soon, Gobber would need Hiccup to be pumping the bellows. Gobber’s flagon hand needed rinsing out, and those metal slivers still had to be collected, but they could wait. Hiccup itched to begin, but didn’t leave the stool. Gobber said to stay there, and unsatisfying as it was, he needed to follow orders.

Hiccup suddenly realized why things felt so out of place. This was the spot he sat in before he was apprenticed to the smithy. It was the one place he could sit in the forge when he visited, where he’d be out of the way, unable to touch anything. Looking down at himself, he realized his apron still hung on the wall. The awful truth showed itself to Hiccup.

He wasn’t an apprentice anymore.

Gobber never let Hiccup in the smithy without his apron on. Smithies were hot and hazardous; Gobber insisted he wear it every moment. If Hiccup didn’t put it on right away, Gobber told him, “You make your apron a part of you, Hiccup. Wear it start to finish every day, no excuses.” When Hiccup removed it without thinking, Gobber said, “When you put it on, you keep it on.” If Hiccup took it off because he was hot or itchy, Gobber stated flatly, “No apprentice of mine gets to act that stupidly. Apron on, boy.”

But now, Hiccup was sitting down. No, Gobber sat him down. Gobber told him on his second day,” You need to keep going; don’t rush through things, but stay working.” After the first exhausting week on his feet, Hiccup stopped staggering. Since then, he slowed his pace, or leaned against a wall to rest. But Hiccup never sat anymore; he was Gobber’s apprentice, and he was there to work.

Hiccup’s horror grew as he thought about it. Gobber was gone and Hiccup had to stay put. He couldn’t get started until the big smith gave him permission to stand. None of the work could get done until the forge was ready, and Gobber needed coal...

No. No. No.

Gobber was doing it. Hauling coal, fetching water, and all the tasks Hiccup performed since the beginning, now being done by Gobber himself. The words rang inside his head.

I’ve done it, and now that you’re my apprentice, you get to do it.

You have to do all I tell you, understand?

Then, today:

What do you think an apprentice such as yourself ought ta be doin’ now?

Hiccup ought to be doing what Gobber told him. That was the answer Gobber expected, and Hiccup never understood that until now. His impatience to learn smithing now kept him from doing anything at the forge. Gobber took back the chores Hiccup resented. He, Hiccup, was not needed, not if Gobber did the work.

Gobber was sending him home. Hiccup imagined Gobber standing over him, saying he couldn’t keep him in the smithy. Hiccup didn’t listen, didn’t follow orders, and didn’t obey Gobber. The master blacksmith would take the apron, put it away, and never allow Hiccup to work for him again.


Hiccup hated the work—it was boring and tiresome and never got finished. Hiccup wanted to make something from start to finish, to hold and admire the result. Instead of creating something new and exciting, he labored daily at tasks that were demeaning and worthless.

Worthless. His cousin Snotlout called him that when Hiccup couldn’t do things Snotlout could. If Snotlout bested him at anything, he’d hear the taunt.

” You really can’t climb that tree? Oh, yeah, you’re too puny. You’re just worthless, Hiccup.

”You can’t lift that hammer, you worthless brat.”

”You’re an idiot if you think you’ll be Chief someday. Everyone knows you’re worthless. My dad says you’re useless, too.”

Now Hiccup wondered if he was going to become like Snotlout, calling things worthless or stupid or useless. No, Hiccup could never be like him. Snotlout was taller and stronger and did things with Uncle Spitelout. The whole village thought Hiccup good for nothing, and they were right. Hiccup was a failure.

Gobber still allowed him to be an apprentice. Gobber never called Hiccup useless, just told him to work. He let Hiccup talk sometimes, and ask questions when the boy knew he ought to concentrate on the job. Gobber even praised him.

You’re a good lad, Hiccup.”

You work hard.”

I’m proud of you.”


Hiccup had nothing: no apprenticeship, no work, and nowhere to spend his days. Snotlout would harass Hiccup, no one else would let him apprentice, and the villagers would whisper that he was no good. His dad...Hiccup didn’t want to think of that. Hiccup had done well, and Stoick was pleased. His dad didn’t yell at him, or scowl, or clench his teeth. He asked Hiccup about work and let him talk about the forge. Stoick even smiled at him.

Hiccup wrecked it for Stoick and himself. He didn’t do what Gobber expected and now he would have to leave. The only thing left was for Hiccup to stay where he couldn’t touch anything until Gobber told him to leave. Hiccup could follow orders one more time for Gobber—he wouldn’t let the last thing he did be disobedient to his apprenticemaster.

§ § §


A burly, dark-haired man was heading directly for the smithy and Hiccup’s heart sank. It was Spitelout, Hiccup’s uncle and the man who thought him useless. Hiccup hoped if Spitelout saw he was alone, he’d go away. If Gobber returned while his uncle was there, Hiccup would be shamed in front of the man.

Spitelout set a sword down and looked for the smith, scowling. Spotting Hiccup, he asked, “Where is Gobber, boy?”

“He went out, uncle.” Hiccup didn’t elaborate. Spitelout glowered at him.

“And just where is he, Hiccup?”

“I don’t know, sir. Gobber didn’t tell me where he was going.”

“Humph. Typical of the man, keeping folk waiting.” Spitelout folded his arms, examining Hiccup. “I plan to tell Gobber how you sat doing nothing while he was gone. You are supposed to be working, not polishing a chair with your backside. Get down and get to it, boy.”

“Gobber told me to sit here, sir.” Hiccup squirmed nervously.

Spitelout sneered at Hiccup.“Come fetch my sword. The handle needs repairing and I can’t wait here all day, watching you idle.”

Hiccup didn’t move. Until Gobber returned, Hiccup was an apprentice, and he would do as he was told. His uncle must not understand that; Hiccup would need to explain.

“I’m sorry, uncle, but I can’t come over there. Gobber told me to stay here. Until he comes back, I can’t move.”

“No backtalk, boy.” Spitelout's jaw tightened. “Fetch my sword—that’s your job, not lazing about while Gobber’s gone.”

“I have to stay here. An apprentice has to do as he’s told, when he’s told, every time. Gobber said so.” Hiccup felt strange explaining this to Spitelout; if Hiccup knew this, why didn’t his uncle? Grown people always knew more than children.

I say you can, boy. That’s all you need to hear. Now do it.” Spitelout snarled, and Hiccup shrank back. He’d seen Snotlout quail when his uncle snarled at him; if it frightened his cousin, Hiccup knew it would be bad for him. He hunched his shoulders.

“I don’t have permission. Gobber’s the only one who can tell me what to do.” Hiccup stopped, then blurted out, “He’s my apprenticemaster, and I have to do what he tells me.”

Spitelout’s face turned scarlet. “I do not put up with defiance, boy.” He stared at Hiccup through the window and in a flat voice, stated, “Come here, child.”

Hiccup wanted to run. He remembered the one time he witnessed Spitelout this angry with Snotlout. “Come here, child,” he told Snotlout; his cousin’s bruises lasted a long time, and he’d even seen Snotlout cry. Hiccup was smaller than his cousin. Whatever happened now would be painful.

Hiccup was the son of Stoick the Vast. His father was tough and unshakeable. Stoick was brave, braver than anyone else. Hiccup was an apprentice to Gobber the Belch, a dragon-fighting hero of Berk. Hiccup would pretend to be strong like his dad and Gobber. He would not let them down. Hiccup stared past Spitelout’s shoulder and answered him.

“No.”

Hiccup squeezed his eyes shut. He heard the forge door open. He felt Spitelout stop beside him, and a meaty hand closed on his shoulder. Spitelout shook him hard, then stopped. His hand yanked back and the door shut. Hiccup waited for the grip, the twist, the blow Spitelout had planned for him. Finally, the boy opened his eyes; the room was empty. Hiccup saw Silent Sven dragging Spitelout through the plaza, and a blond, blue-eyed man was there, waiting. Adelbert Hofferson, Astrid’s dad, stood by the outside window.

§ § §



Adelbert POV

Adelbert stood outside the forge, waiting for Gobber to return. The boy—Hiccup—needed someone to deter the gossipers and busybodies, and Adelbert volunteered. The lad ought to get back to work shortly, but Gobber wouldn’t begrudge Hiccup a few minutes to recover from his scare. An enraged Spitelout made grown men tread carefully; for a child, it must be terrifying.

The boy watched him, his head tucked into his shoulders, uncertain what to do. The best solution, the man decided, was to do nothing and wait. If he spoke, good. The chief’s son was born talking and if he found his voice after this, he’d be back to normal. If he said nothing, Gobber’s return made it his problem, not Adelbert’s.

“Mr. Hofferson?”

Ah, there we go. “Hiccup.”

“Do you need to see Gobber? He had things to do, and I can’t help anybody until he gets back.” Hiccup looked downcast at this admission. “ He told me to sit and think, so I have to. I’m sorry, Mr. Hofferson.”

Thor, but the boy seemed bereft. No wonder he was sitting there; enforced stillness must be a torment for an active lad like Hiccup. The beginning of callouses showed Adelbert how much Stoick’s boy worked each day. He probably wanted to get to his work. Adelbert’s wisdom about children was limited—his wife was better at that—, but a kind word should be fine.

“I don’t need anything right now, Hiccup. I might chat with Gobber when he gets back.” He studied the small figure. Was that relief on his face? Yes, it was. “ You were right to ask, lad. Getting the work done is important, but you have to do as Gobber says.”

“Yes, sir, I know.” Hiccup recited, “An apprentice has to do what he’s told, when he’s told, every time. That’s what Gobber says.” Hiccup squirmed a bit, and lifted his head higher. “So I’m not moving.”

Well, that was definite of the child. He may be scrawny, but he certainly possessed a streak of Viking stubbornness. With Stoick’s blood in him...Yes, getting yaks to dance is easier than changing the mind of a Haddock man. Even if he’s five years old.

“Hiccup...”

“Mr. Hofferson?”

“You’re not moving because Gobber told you to remain there. But you made it sound as if it was your idea and nobody would change your mind. You don’t talk to people like that, Hiccup. It’s rude and makes people angry.” Adelbert gave Hiccup a stern expression.

Hiccup shrank back. “I’m sorry, Mister Hofferson. I wasn’t trying to be rude. I won’t do it again.” Tentatively, he added, “Please don’t be angry with me.”

Hearing Hiccup’s plea, Adelbert understood. This whole conversation was about Spitelout. Hiccup didn’t move when his uncle demanded it, because he couldn’t. Gobber gave Hiccup orders, and Hiccup followed them. Spitelout forced him to choose between himself and Gobber; Hiccup chose Gobber. Without Sven to prevent the beating and haul him away, Spitelout would have badly injured Stoick’s son. However the boy resisted Spitelout’s orders, Adelbert couldn’t imagine. Most children would have followed his orders, and no blame attached to them; yet this twig of a boy refused. Astonishing, really.

Adelbert conjured up a small smile for Hiccup, and leaned on the window. “I’m not angry, Hiccup. You didn’t mean to be rude, so I decided to help you out a little and explain. Alright?”

Silence. Finally, he heard Hiccup mumble, “Thank you, Mr. Hofferson.”

Adelbert Hofferson did not take to children. He wasn’t a man to tease a boy or tell a lass she looked pretty. He never spoke to them unless necessary. He loved his family, but any children not his own were someone else’s concern. Everyone on Berk knew Adelbert Hofferson minded his own business and hoped others would do the same. He willingly stood watch over Stoick’s son as gossip repellent. He never expected to approve of the boy.

Stoick knew by now what transpired between his brother-in-law and Hiccup. Spitelout would have had much to say to the chief against Hiccup. Adelbert trusted the chief to do his job while Adelbert did his. He didn’t anticipate Stoick the Vast to seek him out or question him. It was never required before. But the Chief needed to know about this conversation. Today, Adelbert would find Stoick and tell him about his his brave, loyal, stubborn son.












Hiccup heard arguing. Spitelout’s voice, angry and insistent, was being drowned out by other noises and people. Soon after that, the door to the forge opened and a voice said, “You can open your eyes, Hiccup. Spitelout’s gone now.” Hiccup peered up at the blonde mustache and clear blue eyes. Adelbert Hofferson, Astrid’s father, stood beside Hiccup. He gave a reassuring smile. “Your uncle had other things to do, Hiccup, so he left to do them. He’ll be too busy to come back.” Quietly, he added, “I can promise you that.”

Hiccup considered. His uncle was gone and he was safe. But Mr. Hofferson was there in the smithy, so he might need something. Hiccup hoped not—he still had to stay put—and he didn’t want anyone else mad at him. Maybe it would okay if he was extra polite.

“Mr. Hofferson?”

“What is it, Hiccup?”

“I can’t leave this stool. Gobber put me here and told me to stay put. If I could help you, I would. But I have to follow Gobber’s orders, because...”

“You’re his apprentice, and apprentices have to do what they’re told.” Adelbert saw the relief on Hiccup’s face, and knew this was the source of Spitelout’s rage. “I can wait with you until Gobber comes back. I don’t think anyone will argue with you obeying Gobber, though.”

“Spitelout was so mad,” Hiccup whispered.

Adelbert said, “Spitelout was wrong, Hiccup. You were right. Nobody will blame you for obeying Gobber.” Then he hushed the lad, put an arm around him, and waited for the smith to return.



















I can’t move until I have permission.”















Studying Tools

Probably belongs after The Apprentice chronologically. It about when Gobber begins teaching Hiccup about tools. Not just to use them, but to hold them, study the weight and heft of each one, the differences in how to use them, how to grip them. Hiccup drinks in everything he can. He continues to do chores in the smithy, and his body learns where each item in the forge is. He develops muscle memory and moves automatically through the smithy with ease and assurance.

Gobber lets him use a hammer. Hiccup demonstrates he knows the proper way to begin and waits on Gobber to direct him. He hammers for hours, practicing, improving, and mastering the hammer. Each strike is a victory. His confidence grows. His earlier impatience was replaced by understanding he had to do all Gobber expected when Gobber wanted it done. He stopped thinking things ought to occur at the rate he wanted, and delivered himself into real apprenticeship. He maintained an attitude of working until Gobber changed things. Hiccup just kept going and refrained from anger or frustration. He used his time working thoroughly and it all became automatic. That’s why Gobber decided he could study tools.

Toward the end, Gobber gives Hiccup a new apron, crafted for him, replacing the ancient, battered apron with Hiccup’s apron, and calls Hiccup a smith.

This might work as two stories. One about Hiccup’s attitude adjustment and subsequent work as he strives to simply do a good job. He trusts Gobber to manage his apprenticeship, and works at all tasks provided. He has made the jump from wanting to smith something to accepting he’s not going to choose
when and what he learns, and getting on with the day. Hiccup is okay with that.

The other story could begin with Gobber deciding Hiccup's acceptance and willingness to wait means he’s ready to study tools. Gobber still doesn’t rush the lessons, but provides a slow, possibly tedious, approach to each tool. Hiccup doesn’t fight the approach Gobber uses. He studies each tool thoroughly, doing all he’s asked, even when it’s difficult or uncomfortable. Hiccup is then allowed to use a hammer. He approaches it with the same thoroughness and willing repetition he used with studying tools, hauling water, or cleaning the floor of slivers of metal. Gobber then presents Hiccup with his own new apron. Hiccup is amazed. Gobber calls him a real smith.



Gobber’s Musings

Gobber observes the relationship between father and son. He can see both sides of the problem, but is concerned that Stoick may be overreacting to Hiccup’s behavior. Stoick is accustomed to solving problems as a chief and at least partially sees Hiccup as a problem to be solved. Stoick expects Hiccup to obey rules and doesn’t understand that Hiccup is trying to do his best. Stoick is growing increasingly irritated with Hiccup. Gobber thinks Stoick is about to make a decision about Hiccup’s discipline that will make things worse. Stoick has gone from sitting at the table to correct his son to staring down at the boy, and Gobber thinks public reprimands May be next. That won’t work either.

This might be broken in two pieces. Perhaps Stoick’s ongoing attempts to reach Hiccup appearing pointless as he fails to get through. Using more forceful methods, like towering over Hiccup, believing a tougher approach will bring success. Regretting the need to do this, but believing it’s the only way to get through to Hiccup. To protect him. To help him. To make him understand and obey.

Gobber, seeing what the rest of the village doesn’t. Gobber, who’s so close to them, he’s seen Stoick’s discipline change gradually, and never for the better. Stoick’s anxiety for Hiccup and the need to be firm with Hiccup becoming so outsized and fixed that he can’t see it won’t work. Hiccup’s confusion at doing something wrong, again, when he never meant to. No Valka to give support for Stoick and security for Hiccup. If they don’t understand one another, things will only worsen.


Hiccup’s Day

An earlier attempt to display Hiccup’s life and his thoughts about himself. He is at least twelve here, and aware of his father’s unwillingness to listen and his dissatisfaction with his son. He’s also aware of the attitude the villagers hold toward him. He is now using sarcasm. His recognition that he’s not very Viking like, and his attempts to develop characteristics that would improve that, like striding when he walked. Also portrays him as a list maker, trying to figure out what he might be capable of, as well as a list of things he will never do. Humorous and sarcastic, told from Hiccup’s POV. Also contains a list of what he can do. Remembering previous mistakes and problems, before he was in the forge. His fondness for Gobber’s encouragement Remembering how Gobber taught him specialized skills, encouraged him to innovate, and tried some of Hiccup’s ideas. How much Hiccup loved making and designing things, and how he may be a talking fishbone, but he was a good smith.

It then moves into ideas used in later pieces: Hiccup becomes an apprentice, works at unpleasant tasks, learns about tools, practices with them, develops skill, and gets an apron.
© Copyright 2019 Whiskerfaceschoolsout! (whiskerface at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2187928-Outlining-Story-Ideas