*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2162685-One-Act-Of-Kindness
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Community · #2162685
One act of kindness can change your life forever
"Get a job!" "Lowlife!" "Begger!" "Leecher!"

James had heard those words, among others, every day for three months now. It all started when he was let go from his job, causing his wife to leave him. With no other family in town, he had no choice, but to spend his days looking for shelter, warmth, food, anything to survive the conditions he had been thrown into.


It had been difficult, not may people would offer to help, and those who did, would only give him a few pennies. While he was greatful, it still wasn't enough for him to get a scrap of food. He couldn't remember the last time he had eaten a meal.


It would only get worse. There were groups out there, who would target those less fortunate, for "Not contributing to society" Tonight, James was their choice. He attempted to get away, but was knocked down and attacked, begging for them to stop. He covered his face to protect himself from punches and kicks, but pain stung through his body.


After his torture had stopped, James lay there, cold, sore, tired and hungry, wondering if he would live like this forever.


Not long after, a hand appeared. Looking up, wondering if his tormentors had come back for more, he was greeted by a young woman smiling at him "Don't be afraid. I won't hurt you" Timidly, the man took her hand and stood up slowly, wincing from his injuries.


"I'm Megan. You should come with me. I can help you" The woman smiled again. James wasn't sure if he should follow her, but something in the back of his head told him that he could trust her.

Walking quietly, they arrived outside a building, the sign saying "Centre For The Homeless" James was taken aback. He didn't know there was a place like this and a lump had caught in his throat.

Megan guided him inside, and looked at him "Welcome to our centre. Here you can bathe, recieve a hot meal and rest for as long as you need to" James was still speechless as he saw there were others like him, who had been in his situation, who were happy and healthy, a farcry from who they were previously.

He let out a long sigh. A stranger had offered him help when others would look the other way. A selfless act that he didn't even ask for.

James looked at Megan and began to cry "How can I repay you?" She shook her head

"An act of kindness was what you needed tonight, and I am happy with that"
© Copyright 2018 FromMindToReality (i_am_iniquity at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2162685-One-Act-Of-Kindness