*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2159306-Read-me-if-you-dare
Rated: E · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #2159306
A story about an unusual book
Once upon a time, there was an unusual book. It looked like other books, but there was an exception. Everyday, its content changed. Some pages were born, some disappeared, some remained stable. Their number always was the same: 1758. Whoever opened the book could read a story in their native language. And the story was so fascinating that the person could not stop reading until they fall dead from exhaustion.
Many people tried to destroy the book but it had a secret power. When someone touched it, it opened a special page, and one glance was enough for the person to forget about everything and start reading. After that, they were as good as dead.
One day, an old man approached the book. Long he stroked it with his gentle fingers, touched its rough cover with the tenderness of a lover. Because of that, the book could not open its tricky page. The book gathered all its patience and waited. The old man stepped back and started making a campfire. The fire did not scare the book: it had seen a lot of flames. It launched it's trap and lay still. It was waiting and giggling silently, and the old man was messing around with the cruller. Until finally, he took the book and threw it into the fire.
The old man was blind.
© Copyright 2018 Ellie An (whitewinged at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2159306-Read-me-if-you-dare